U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:30 AM

306 posts, read 440,061 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are planning a trip to the US from Australia and we want to plan a musical city tour. The cities we have in mind so far are Seattle, LA, Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, Memphis and Austin.
That's our plan so far so maybe some people could give us some advice on some other places that are pretty cool as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
Depends on the kind of music you like.
I would include New Orleans in your trip!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 AM

135 posts, read 131,420 times
Good list, but I would ABSOLUTELY include New Orleans on the trip. Even if that potentially means missing out on another city, it would be worth it imo. The musical experience in New Orleans is completely unique, and it would be impossible to do a true american "musical city" trip without it. Good luck on the trip though. What a cool idea!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
I definitely agree on New Orleans, but is there a specific reason you are going to Seattle? Besides grunge, I don't see it as a well known music city. Maybe hit a city on the East Coast instead-NYC, Philly or Atlanta?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I definitely agree on New Orleans, but is there a specific reason you are going to Seattle? Besides grunge, I don't see it as a well known music city. Maybe hit a city on the East Coast instead-NYC, Philly or Atlanta?
Seattle's an indie rock and folk music hot spot.

Minneapolis is another notable city that started the "Minneapolis Sound", and all sorts of great acts came out of the city in the 80s and 90s (Prince, Husker Du, The Replacements, The Jayhawks, Babes in Toyland, the Suburbs, Semisonic, etc.)

Today, Minneapolis has a notable alternative hip hop scene (Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Dessa, Doomtree, P.O.S), but there's also a big indie rock scene here as well (Solid Gold, Cloud Cult, Chastity Brown, Communist Daughter, Tapes n' Tapes, Howler, Chris Koza, Jeremy Messersmith and a lot more).

Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,382 times
The musical artery of the US is the Mississippi River. Half of American music history happened in states that border the Mississippi. Everything started in New Orleans, but there's also a ton of history in Memphis, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, and even Minneapolis (not to mention rural Louisiana and Mississippi), and all those cities still have thriving music scenes today.

Honestly, in any contemporary music history class, I guarantee there will be a MAJOR focus on the role of the Mississippi River in American music.

New York is also a must-visit if music is your focus. Detroit is very high up on that list as well. Seattle and LA are great too, especially since they both have direct flights to and from Australia.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 PM

306 posts, read 440,061 times
Yeah I forgot to mention New Orleans in my trip,my musical tastes vary from Rock, House, indie alternative, hip hop, Motown blues.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 PM

43,333 posts, read 41,900,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention New Orleans in my trip,my musical tastes vary from Rock, House, indie alternative, hip hop, Motown blues.
As someone who grew up in Memphis and now lives just south of Nashville, I admire your goal.

This should interest you:

Americana Music Triangle

Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,623,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
My friend and I are planning a trip to the US from Australia and we want to plan a musical city tour. The cities we have in mind so far are Seattle, LA, Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, Memphis and Austin.
That's our plan so far so maybe some people could give us some advice on some other places that are pretty cool as well.
You gotta go to New Orleans! Probably one of the most overall "musical" cities in the entire US. Drive from Nashville to Memphis to New Orleans(via the Mississippi Delta) and you've hit the birthplace or historic incubators of a lot of American music genres(blues, country, jazz, R&B, rock 'n roll). If you have any interest in bluegrass, the Appalachian mountain region is really good for that as well.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,259,790 times
I'd second the votes for New Orleans and Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or