U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Canaries are a mix between the natives and Spanish, not just Africans.
This is true. But according to historical accounts, the Gaunche had a large number of fair-haired people (not unlike a lot of northern Berbers today). So it's unclear if the mixture between them and Spaniards would have resulted in lighter or darker complexion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:48 AM

44,682 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Plenty of Irish and Welsh(and some Scots and English) have dark hair and looks--and some with or without a tan can look almost like Southern Europeans. The Celts actually had dark hair and it was a lot of the Anglo-Saxons and Scandinavian Vikings that brought lighter hair. Like Welsh folks(the purest Britons) like Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta Jones who could pass for Mediterranean type.

I've taken a DNA test--it came back with 50% Polish Slavic and 50% British DNA(Scottish and Irish and English immigrants from what I know) and yet I could pass for an Italian or Spaniard(in fact I get remarked all the time about it). And upon researching about "British DNA" it's so jumbled up itself--between the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Normans and modern immigrants--that it's a mix to begin with. But I look dark enough in terms of hair to look Mediterranean to a lot of people--though a mestizo Mexican in the states would just see me as another white guy--unless I was in Mexico ironically, where I blended in with the more European-looking population in nice areas of Mexico City. (I sort of look like #21 on the Spanish soccer team photo).

European DNA is all mixed up--you've had immigrants and conquerors going back and forth for over 2000 years. You get to the margins you find more extremes and there are some regional distinctions, but there's a lot of similarities in looks overall.
Right.

Here's a picture of my husband and I, who both recently had DNA testing done:

Notice that I have very dark eyes and dark, coarse, thick hair. I also have less angular features, a full mouth, and a pug nose. My very Aryan looking husband has blonde, straight, fine hair and very blue eyes, and thinner lips. He looks like a poster child for the Aryan race, and I look like the "American mutt" I thought I was.

Come to find out - I am 98 percent NORTHERN European, and the other 2 percent is simply "European." I am in fact, the whitest person I know!

He, on the other hand is about 70 percent northern European, about 22 percent just "European," and 4 percent WEST AFRICAN and 2 percent Jewish (the other 2 percent was a hodgepodge).

I asked him when he was going to join the NAACP and he asked me when I was going to join a white supremacist group. HARAHRAHRHARHAHRHARHAR!

My point is - looks can be very deceiving.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,090,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Not true. Most Hispanics are defaulted racially to WHITE for census purposes. Many don't bother to fill out anything beyond Hispanic. But it's a known fact that Hispanics are usually listed as whites by default!

Most Hispanics usually identify as or are treated as their own group!
And you get this information from...???

Most Hispanic/Latino people I know DO fill out stuff beyond Hispanic (mainly Latino or Two or More Races).

Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Quote:
The difference in complexion between southern Germans and Spanish is small enough there's a lot of overlap, though certain facial features might look more Spanish or German. The Canaries are a mix between the natives and Spanish, not just Africans.
European facial features are not consistent, and neither are "Caucasoid" features. Some people (whether they be from Sweden or Palestine) have pug noses and high cheekbones, others have long noses and low cheekbones. My last girlfriend had the exact opposite features than I do. I have a long nose and low cheekbones; she has a very small small nose and high cheekbones. My eyes are brown, large and very wide open; she has very small blue eyes that when she smiles they squint a lot. My skin is light-medium, similar to that of the Spanish team. Her skin is very Irish like, with a light pink complexion that always burns. I tan easily (only after burning) and can get as dark as some East Indians if I spend enough time in the sun. My hair is curly-coarse. Her hair is straight and thin. My hair is practically black (it's dark brown but people think it's black). Hers was brown with blonde undertones. My face is narrow, hers is heart shaped. Both of us would classify as "Caucasoid", but we both have very different features, similar to the woman and man above, where my features more resemble his with a darker complexion (except for the thin lips as mine are full). Her lips were full as well.

She is of European descent as am I. But different regions of Europe. However I grew up not thinking I was White because no one else thought I was. On the Census I always reply "White" but if people ask me what I am I say Southern European. I'd blend in very well in all Mediterranean countries, but if I went to Netherlands people would know I am not from there. People in my family don't really think of ourselves as "White" but as Southern European (we are mutts). In some circumstances we are White and in some we are not. My point if that you and eschaton are speaking in relative terms. I don't disagree that if you put someone who is of Middle Eastern origin and dress them up the same way Southern Europeans dress that they wouldn't pass. I am South European and people think I am Middle Eastern many times. I agree with you guys on that. My main point is that "White" is an ever-changing term and there was a time when no one would have considered a Middle Eastern person White. Why, if the subject is Spain, Jews and Moors would be killed because they were found to be not like the Spaniards. They weren't "sangre azul" (blue blood) people by their standards. Clearly there have been instances when Whiteness of people has been questioned. My thing is that there are people who are unquestionably White depending on who you ask, then people who are "White at times" based on certain circumstances.

By the way, eschaton, by your own admission you claimed you have been mistaken for Latino, which is ridiculous in and of itself since Latino is not a race. BUT, with that being said, when people think "Latino" they think "not White" so can you see where I am coming from that there is no agreed upon definition for that term?

Basically, if people can't even agree on what White is I think it's even dumber to think Hispanic/Latino is a race.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,762,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

Here's a picture of my husband and I, who both recently had DNA testing done:

Notice that I have very dark eyes and dark, coarse, thick hair. I also have less angular features, a full mouth, and a pug nose. My very Aryan looking husband has blonde, straight, fine hair and very blue eyes, and thinner lips. He looks like a poster child for the Aryan race, and I look like the "American mutt" I thought I was.

Come to find out - I am 98 percent NORTHERN European, and the other 2 percent is simply "European." I am in fact, the whitest person I know!

He, on the other hand is about 70 percent northern European, about 22 percent just "European," and 4 percent WEST AFRICAN and 2 percent Jewish (the other 2 percent was a hodgepodge).

I asked him when he was going to join the NAACP and he asked me when I was going to join a white supremacist group. HARAHRAHRHARHAHRHARHAR!

My point is - looks can be very deceiving.
that was my point exactly- you cannot go by 'looks' in determining someone's heritage or racial composition.

You are beautiful, you remind me of Linda Rondstadt.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,149,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
I don't think Hispanic is a race, however Mexicans are sort of similar looking and to be honest that is 99% what you see around so I can see why some people might imagine hispanics are a race.

It's not like you go out and you see white argentinians or black columbians walking around, all you see it's mexican mestizo upon mexican mestizo.
In Florida, only about 1/3rd of the Hispanics are Mexicans.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel86 View Post
you cannot judge people based on looks, look at Bjork, she is icelandic from the northern most Scandinavian nation in Europe and if we all didn't know who she was, we'd think she's probably some sort of native american or a mixture of asian and white, or some sort of mixture.
This is what I'm saying. Europeans from the furthest North exhibit features that cross over into Asiatic people. High cheekbones, flatter faces, and more almond eyes. They look nothing like Mediterraneans but both are White by the US Census. You also see features like this in Eastern Europe. I feel like many Polish people have a distinctive, Eurasian look to them with their broad square faces, almond eyes, pug noses, and high cheekbones.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
In Florida, only about 1/3rd of the Hispanics are Mexicans.
I'm surprised it's even that high. I thought the population was mostly Caribbean with some South Americans.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
more spanish people. maybe a better sample than soccer players

A Lot Of People Have Traveled To Spain For ‘Game Of Thrones’ Filming

Old 10-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
more spanish people. maybe a better sample than soccer players

A Lot Of People Have Traveled To Spain For ‘Game Of Thrones’ Filming
Typical Spaniard look there. Brown to black hair, tan well, dark features. They do not look Mestizo or Mulatto. They could pass for Italian, Greek, Portuguese, etc. On the older men you see some heavy chest hair, which is another typical Spaniard trait. I would fit in well in that crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or