U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,223,346 times

Advertisements

Most of the hispanics in the US come from two places where the indigenous-mestizo look is the dominant one (indigenous with a hint of spaniard) is predominant

MEXICO
CENTRAL AMERICA

its only when you travel to south america that you realize that hispanics are a rainbow of races, ethnicities and such, let be honest... how many white south americans do you see migrating into the US??? when was the last time you saw asian-panamenians migrating to America? have u seen latino-jews in the US? how many black latinos or arab latinos are there in America? hardly any!!! its vastly indo-mestizos from mexico and central america!

then you have some enclaves of cubans and puerto ricans on the east coast and some south americans!

so to sumarize most americans are just exposed to mexicans and central american folks, its only when they travel the world that they get to be exposed to whites blacks, jewish, arabs, asian latinos, and they come to the realization that latino is just a label that makes no sense and no one in latin america uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Most of the hispanics in the US come from two places where the indigenous-mestizo look is the dominant one (indigenous with a hint of spaniard) is predominant

MEXICO
CENTRAL AMERICA
Most hispanics in the Northeast are from the Carribean. Hispanic = Mexican is not the usual assumption. Could be wrong, but Central Americans seem to look more indengious on average than Mexicans.

Quote:
its only when you travel to south america that you realize that hispanics are a rainbow of races, ethnicities and such, let be honest... how many white south americans do you see migrating into the US??? when was the last time you saw asian-panamenians migrating to America? have u seen latino-jews in the US? how many black latinos or arab latinos are there in America? hardly any!!! its vastly indo-mestizos from mexico and central america!
Yes, there was a Latino-Jew in my high school, maybe more than one. Knew a white Colombian family growing up and some Puerto Rican look almost white. Black Latinos, plenty. Dominicans are more common than Mexicans both in Massachusetts and downstate New York. Forty years ago, the census here only asked for "of Puerto Rican origin", not "hispanic".

Quote:
so to sumarize most americans are just exposed to mexicans and central american folks, its only when they travel the world that they get to be exposed to whites blacks, jewish, arabs, asian latinos, and they come to the realization that latino is just a label that makes no sense and no one in latin america uses.
Latino is a sensible label here because culture matters more than skin color. There are some commonalities across Latin America culturally. Most hispanics are recent immigrants or children of recent immigrants, so they're not completely assimilated; it makes sense to group them together here even if they're technically not a race.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,153,306 times
Quote:

MEXICO
CENTRAL AMERICA

its only when you travel to south america that you realize that hispanics are a rainbow of races, ethnicities and such
Uh no, that's quite an ignorant thing to say. ALL Central American countries have their share of whites, indigenous, and blacks, as well as a mix of two or three of those races. Just like in Colombia! Being from a certain country does not mean a person is going to look certain way.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most hispanics in the Northeast are from the Carribean. Hispanic = Mexican is not the usual assumption. Could be wrong, but Central Americans seem to look more indigenous on average than Mexicans.
Depends upon the country. Costa Ricans and Nicaraguans probably have more European ancestry than the average Mexican, but seldom migrate to the U.S. All Central Americans groups have more black ancestry than Mexicans (on the order of 10%-20%, rather than 5%), which is undoubtedly part of why they have a different "look."

Old 10-24-2014, 01:11 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,881,570 times
Quote:

MEXICO
CENTRAL AMERICA

then you have some enclaves of cubans and puerto ricans on the east coast and some south americans!

You don't have to travel to South America to see such a variety of people, as you can find them all within Mexico. Your own conceptions of what Mexicans don't or do look like are quite limited, and this itself feeds into the stereotype. This is to the point that other Mexicans (in LA and Anaheim) are surprised that I speak Spanish (which I don't get, because my brown hair, brown eyes and olive complexion puts me comfortably within the 'Latin look'), which has never happened to me within Mexico itself.

Pretty much the stereotype is that if you look indigenous/Native American then you are Hispanic/Latin. I even had an incident where a Thai friend and I went to a local swapmeet (in Santa Fe Springs, for reference), and a vendor started speaking to her in Spanish, and then went on to translate for me in English. We both laughed about it. It wasn't the first time it has happened to her, and she says that when she visited Guatemala, lots of locals assumed she was Maya.

When it comes to Mexicans in the Southwest and California...historically they have actually leaned towards looking more European/west Asian, as the main source of Mexican migrants back then was from Mexico's North and Northwest. In the last two decades, that migration has essentially stopped and now you are getting lots more from the central Mexico and the South. These Mexicans tend to lean more mestizo in looks, with many being of much heavier indigenous ancestry (with quite a few not speaking Spanish at all - which therefore makes them not Latino, but Native Americans - native to the Americas). This new wave of Mexicans are moving to parts of the country previously unsettled by the old school ones, including places like Iowa, Kansas, Georgia, New York etc. Some old Mexican enclaves, that used to be mostly Sonoran (like downtown Los Angeles or Phoenix) are now seeing strong Oaxacan populations. This has created tensions in communities (especially rural ones) that previously had no real exposure to any source of immigration (legal or illegal) from Latin America.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:24 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
You don't have to travel to South America to see such a variety of people, as you can find them all within Mexico. Your own conceptions of what Mexicans don't or do look like are quite limited, and this itself feeds into the stereotype. This is to the point that other Mexicans (in LA and Anaheim) are surprised that I speak Spanish (which I don't get, because my brown hair, brown eyes and olive complexion puts me comfortably within the 'Latin look'), which has never happened to me within Mexico itself.

Pretty much the stereotype is that if you look indigenous/Native American then you are Hispanic/Latin. I even had an incident where a Thai friend and I went to a local swapmeet (in Santa Fe Springs, for reference), and a vendor started speaking to her in Spanish, and then went on to translate for me in English. We both laughed about it. It wasn't the first time it has happened to her, and she says that when she visited Guatemala, lots of locals assumed she was Maya.

When it comes to Mexicans in the Southwest and California...historically they have actually leaned towards looking more European/west Asian, as the main source of Mexican migrants back then was from Mexico's North and Northwest. In the last two decades, that migration has essentially stopped and now you are getting lots more from the central Mexico and the South. These Mexicans tend to lean more mestizo in looks, with many being of much heavier indigenous ancestry (with quite a few not speaking Spanish at all - which therefore makes them not Latino, but Native Americans - native to the Americas). This new wave of Mexicans are moving to parts of the country previously unsettled by the old school ones, including places like Iowa, Kansas, Georgia, New York etc. Some old Mexican enclaves, that used to be mostly Sonoran (like downtown Los Angeles or Phoenix) are now seeing strong Oaxacan populations. This has created tensions in communities (especially rural ones) that previously had no real exposure to any source of immigration (legal or illegal) from Latin America.
Give this man (or woman) a medal.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

interesting, I have barely had any interaction with mexican folks as in south america there are very few, in my country there are like 6 thousand mexicans total (so you wouldn't come across mexicans on a daily basis)

and in Europe most mexicans are either rich white students mostly in spain or random tourists. My idea of mexicans come mostly from typical sombrero guys, pancho villa looking ones, the only true interaction most people at least from my country would have with mexicans face to face would be if you go to mexico or the USA.

I always imagined mexicans to be sort of indigenous, at least that is the impression one gets, but I have seen white ones, it's just the indigenous looking ones are quite common and those are the ones one get to often see or probably identify since those are the ones who actually do look stereotypically mexican.... the blonde ones or even black ones one wouldn't imagine as mexican i guess.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:29 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Quote:
interesting, I have barely had any interaction with mexican folks as in south america there are very few, in my country there are like 6 thousand mexicans total (so you wouldn't come across mexicans on a daily basis)

and in Europe most mexicans are either rich white students mostly in spain or random tourists. My idea of mexicans come mostly from typical sombrero guys, pancho villa looking ones, the only true interaction most people at least from my country would have with mexicans face to face would be if you go to mexico or the USA.

I always imagined mexicans to be sort of indigenous, at least that is the impression one gets, but I have seen white ones, it's just the indigenous looking ones are quite common and those are the ones one get to often see or probably identify since those are the ones who actually do look stereotypically mexican.... the blonde ones or even black ones one wouldn't imagine as mexican i guess.
Even Mexicans don't all look alike. I've seen Mediterranean Mexicans, Amerindian Mexicans, and of course the common Mestizo Mexicans. Amerindian (pure blood) Mexicans are rare. Those look very Asiatic.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM

it's interesting, contrary to the US idea that hispanics are a people, in my country no one would consider a cuban or a mexican or an argentinian part of their people, they are foreigners just like a chinese man or a french man

there is very little interaction between south american countries, the trading and cultural mixing between south america is a very recent phenomenon mostly pushed by the mercosul (sort of like the EU of south america)

with mexico the interaction is even less.... for example a taco in my country is one of those poles you use to play pool, in the 90's mexican food was extremely rare in my country so no one would even imagine that you could eat a taco and if you knew what a taco was you probably had never eaten one or had seen it on TV.

when I went to the US the first time I was freaked out about eating burritos (I thought it was donkey meat grilled)

ignorance and lack of exposure I guess!!!!

nowadays mexican food has become globalized and in Colombia we have mexican food, but its BAD, it sucks.... it's fixed so that it can appeal to the colombian palate! (that means no chili, since colombian food itself is quite bland)

here in europe mexican food is really bad as well, there is a restaurant called chichis where you can go and they'll give you french fries with mayo instead of the nachos they give u in america or mexico with a little serving of hot sauce on the side.

mexico truly does have a gastronomy that can not be compared (indian, chinese, perhaps can compare)

another example is puerto rico, you would be surprised that most colombians who have never been outside of the country had most likely never really heard of puerto rico (and that is because it's a small island and territory of the US) so its just overshadow by the US, colombians know about the US but little to none about its territories.... you get to be exposed to puerto ricans once you're in the US, I remember people confusing puerto rico with costa rica.

of course this is all about 15 years ago when the internet wasn't widespread worldwide and people still were sort of innocent about the world, you had to buy a ticket and board a plane to go somewhere, now you have google!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:11 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,881,570 times
Quote:

There are very few areas where Mexicans and South Americans have an opportunity to fraternize, and due to the (comparatively) large populations of Mexicans throughout the country, Mexicans have no need to link to South Americans to establish a sense of community, the way South Americans have with each other despite nationality, and the way Central Americans are now doing as well (the Westlake neighborhood of Los Angeles is our little Central America). These urban and geographical spacial gap has created a sense of 'otherness' between Mexicans and other Latino communities that is more perceived than real.

If Mexicans, as a group, have had no trouble creating links between themselves and historic Filipino (California), Punjabi (central California), Irish (California), Italian (New York and California), German (Texas) and Native American (California/Southwest) communities, why would (or should they) have problems establishing similar bridges with Colombians, Peruvians and Argentinians - people with whom they tend to share religion, language, a love for football and similar family structures? Historically, even, when most of South America was under ruthless dictatorships, many of South Americas brightest minds made Mexico City home. Cumbia might be a Colombian invention, but Mexico has embraced it as its own, just the way that musica norteña and corridos are really popular in Central America.

I went to Miami two years back, with a group of all Mexicans (well 1 Mexican -me-, 2 Chicanos and a Guatemalan aha). We felt no such cultural disconnection with any Latinos we met down there. We somehow ended up at a Colombian party/event, and I kept telling my friends how eerie it felt because it reminded me so much of being with family. They even ended the night with a couple mariachi songs (it was a WTF moment for me, as it was totally unexpected) and everyone there knew the songs! I can't say the same of places that were mostly Cuban, but it didn't matter because the Cubanos I met were so warm and friendly anyways (especially the older folks.)

** The one thing that really annoyed me about Miami, was that at 2am I had the munchies post clubbing, and I couldn't find not ONE Mexican establishment LOL (so Californian of me, this is not really Miami's fault). They were all Cuban! Even a place that was 'Cuban Pizza'. Cuban food is so boring! The Cubans themselves are awesome though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or