U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,764,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
its strange to go the US and hear people speak spanish and compare it to the people who speak spanish in europe

because the people who speak spanish in europe are either White/european/caucasian people for the most, or migrants to spain (arabs, asians, africans, jews, indians/pakistanis, and latin americans)... like yesterday I went out for drinks and the waiter was a pakistani guy who grew up in spain, so he spoke spanish the castilian way! and if you go to chinatown madrid its all chinese who speak spanish the castillian way, or africans or arabs from old spanish colonies who speak like spaniards.

When you go to the US however, spanish speakers look so indigenous, really amerindian (at least in California)

while in latin america you have like a rainbow of people who speak spanish, from blonde hair blue german descendants to black african descendants (this is why being called hispanic/latina in the US annoys me), I honestly don't consider myself any of that stuff!!!
Why are you so obsessed with Latin American people who have Amerindian features?

We get it, you don't want to be grouped with them. Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,844,575 times
I will say though that the whole "Spanish speakers look Amerindian" thing doesn't apply to the Eastern seaboard. There, they are more mulatto looking and in Florida, quite Mediterranean looking from the Cubans who emigrated there that apparently are heavily Spaniard. Here in Chicago most Spanish speakers are Mexican, but the regions of Mexico they come from are less Amerindian and as a result look less Amerind/Mestizo. I mean don't get me wrong, Mexicans in Chicago aren't all Spaniard looking, I'm not saying that. They are more a mixed bag and to say all Chicago Mexicans are Amerindian/Mestizo is very inaccurate. Also, we have a lot of Puerto Ricans, too. They are equally a mixed bag and there is some overlap between them and Mexicans AT TIMES.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:48 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,224,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Why are you so obsessed with Latin American people who have Amerindian features?

We get it, you don't want to be grouped with them. Great.
I don't want to get grouped with anyone. POINT

I am my own person, and I was born in a culture where racial grouping doesnt exist, as a colombian I feel foreign to the American concept of Latino/Hispanic, and I can guarantee you most colombians do as well.

I feel no affiliation to George Lopez, Jennifer lopez, Rosie perez and the like, to me they are Americans, I am colombian!!!

simple differences in cultural perspectives I guess

Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
When you go to the US however, spanish speakers look so indigenous, really amerindian (at least in California)
Not true on the east coast, as mentioned before. And Rosie Perez, appears mostly or entirely white; I doubt she'd stand out much in Spain.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not true on the east coast, as mentioned before. And Rosie Perez, appears mostly or entirely white; I doubt she'd stand out much in Spain.
I agree. Hispanics on the East Coast tend to be more European and African in their ancestry than Amerindian.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,154,728 times
Quote:
I am my own person, and I was born in a culture where racial grouping doesnt exist, as a colombian I feel foreign to the American concept of Latino/Hispanic, and I can guarantee you most colombians do as well.

I feel no affiliation to George Lopez, Jennifer lopez, Rosie perez and the like, to me they are Americans, I am colombian!!!
I personally am not bothered by the Latino/Hispanic grouping term that exists here in the United States. That being said, we Hispanics don't have a "Pan-Hispanic brotherhood" thing going on. I, too, feel no affinity with the likes of George/Jennifer Lopez, Rosie Perez, Zoe Saldana, and many others.

Mexicans make up the majority of the Hispanics in the United States (63%), and so there's this overall belief that all Hispanics exhibit the same types of behaviors as Mexicans. If Mexicans have a high birth rate, then all Hispanics are described as having a high birth rate (which is not the case at all). And of course there's the claim that Hispanics will become the country's majority in a few decades. But actually, it's Mexicans who will become the country's majority. In fact, according to some sources, "Mexican" has already surpassed "German" as the country's largest ethnic group.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM

233 posts, read 281,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel like this one should be easy to debunk. Just look at celebs like George Lopez, then look at Major League Baseball Players like Yasiel Puig or actors like Andy Garcia to maybe see that there probably isn't some mythical Hispanic race.

But then you have people who say "well those are just skin tone variations, but Hispanic is still a race". What makes people believe this nonsense? To be fair I think the concept of race is flawed to begin with but if it was to exist at least people would have a point in thinking Northern Europeans are the same "race" like West Africans are the same "race". But Hispanics?

Why does this Hispanic term even exist? They are not a monolithic group. Latin American countries are not homogeneous AT ALL (just look at Venezuela or Puerto Rico). The fact that they speak the same language is irrelevant, as no one believes in an "Anglian" race made up of people from Anglophone countries.

I think this term should be dropped.
It is descendants of Native Americans/Spaniards Mixed. Why is this difficult? And all Europeans are the same race? ... Okay, blonde swedish, red haired irish, and olive toned italian are all considered caucasian - maybe we should drop caucasian and come up with a bunch of different races!??!

You people need to find hobbies. Real hobbies, not this.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 PM

233 posts, read 281,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I know you wouldn't consider Arabians European. But the idea here was that Europeans and "West Eurasians" share genetic similarities. My point was that you could place the average European in a same room with average Saudi (and you didn't know their ethnic background) and no one would think they are related or even the same race.

Anyway, 1 more thing that relates to Latinos is the fact that in some parts of the US, Spaniards aren't considered White. I've noticed this. It's like "oh they are European but they speak Spanish so...not White I guess"
BUT LEGALLY THEY ARE THE SAME RACE - Arabians are considered Caucasian. Someone from Germany, and someone from Turkey, and someone from Italy, and someone from Saudi Arabia - ALL CONSIDERED CAUCASIAN despite the major differences - JUST LIKE HISPANICS.

See how this argument is falling in on you???

Hispanic does not equal "South/Central American" and Caucasian does not equal "European." IF ANYTHING - CAUCASIAN is more broad.

Hispanic is used to describe the mess of Euro-Native mixing that went on, particularly with Spanish settlers, in that part of the world.

Instead of telling us how this term is so offensive and broad sited - give us a REAL solution, not only for Hispanic, but also for CAUCASIAN. Please do it. Let's see what ya come up with buck.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,478,533 times
White=Caucasian

since when does white mean exclusively northern european descent? This all started with the rise of the british empire that they started believing they were the ones and only true caucasians and all others are mixed...we are ALL mixed. We all came from africa. Just because you are paler or have light eyes does not make you the true white, its just another sub category of white. Heck the true original whites originated in north africa, the middle east and north india.

And what is this all bogus about American culture? American culture is made up from different societies all around the world.

Stop trying to put others down from your lack of identity thats why you are trying to incorporate a northern european umbrella when in fact those countries are very different, even more so than southern europe

Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,152,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
European people are very homogeneous looking when you compare to Africans and East Asians. The difference between a Italian and a Southern British is next to zero.

I don't know if he's white but I do know one thing...he's hot!!

He looks North Indian, Pakistani or Iranian.
That is Colin Farrell. He is Irish. And that is a picture of him in VERY dark lighting. I have never met someone from South Asia who looks like Colin Farrell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or