U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 04:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,471,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
BUT LEGALLY THEY ARE THE SAME RACE - Arabians are considered Caucasian. Someone from Germany, and someone from Turkey, and someone from Italy, and someone from Saudi Arabia - ALL CONSIDERED CAUCASIAN despite the major differences - JUST LIKE HISPANICS.

See how this argument is falling in on you???

Hispanic does not equal "South/Central American" and Caucasian does not equal "European." IF ANYTHING - CAUCASIAN is more broad.

Hispanic is used to describe the mess of Euro-Native mixing that went on, particularly with Spanish settlers, in that part of the world.

Instead of telling us how this term is so offensive and broad sited - give us a REAL solution, not only for Hispanic, but also for CAUCASIAN. Please do it. Let's see what ya come up with buck.
Hispanics are mixed with black too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You sure about that? Rosie looks like a part-black woman. She does NOT look like a Spaniard. Her features are not like a Spaniard's. Her nose is rather broad for a Spaniard, who have thin noses.

Women in Spain have a very Mediterranean look. In contrast, Rosie Perez looks like a typical Puerto Rican with a black grandmother, as they say.

Spain:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...8-_656254a.jpg

The woman on the right in this picture is typical of Spain:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tliclq1Eu6..._5997437_n.jpg

Compare the side view of the Spaniard woman above with the side view of Rosie Perez:
http://lipstickchics.files.wordpress...-cant-jump.jpg

From the front:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Perez_2012.jpg

Her look is a Caribbean look, which is similar to Rihanna's.

Rihanna:
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sdeme...anna290414.jpg

I think Rosie looks more like a Caribbean woman than she does a European. She doesn't look BLACK in the sense that her ancestors are all West African. She looks very mixed. There is definitely European blood in her but also West African, as many Puerto Ricans do have West African ancestry. It is true that there are Puerto Ricans with more significant percentages of Spaniard ancestry, but she doesn't look like one.
How do you look "Caribbean"? Caribbean people can be of any race! And Europeans can be of any race. Even people indigenous to European continent vary in looks.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You are ridiculous. Hispanic people are not all mixed, nor all they all mixed with European/Amerind. Ever been to the East Coast?

Besides, it makes more sense to call a Turk and a Swede the same race than it does to call a Black guy from the Dominican Republic and an Amerindian from Mexico the same race.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,844,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
How do you look "Caribbean"? Caribbean people can be of any race! And Europeans can be of any race. Even people indigenous to European continent vary in looks.
I have been saying this all along, Overall.

I was just saying she would fit in better in the Caribbean than she would in Spain. You are right that Caribbeans can be of any race. Look at the Indians from Jamaica and Guyana.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM

620 posts, read 687,397 times
Quote:
I have been saying this all along, Overall.

I was just saying she would fit in better in the Caribbean than she would in Spain. You are right that Caribbeans can be of any race. Look at the Indians from Jamaica and Guyana.
There are both whites and blacks in the Caribbean and both whites and blacks in Europe.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are both whites and blacks in the Caribbean and both whites and blacks in Europe.
Right, and Rosie is a mix of the two.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Pitbull is a better example of a latino from the Caribbean (Cuban in his case) who would pass as Spanish. He even has blue eyes.

I'm guessing he's a little mixed, but not enough that it can really be seen.

He's actually talked about how his appearance was an issue for him as a rapper...

Quote:
"This (album) is my boat lift," says Pitbull. "They let me in the game when I had all the strikes against me; you know, white, blue eyes, from the South, Cuban. Now that I have my foot in the door, I'm trying to take full advantage of it. I'm taking all the negatives in my life, and turning them into a positive."

Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pitbull is a better example of a latino from the Caribbean (Cuban in his case) who would pass as Spanish. He even has blue eyes.

I'm guessing he's a little mixed, but not enough that it can really be seen.

He's actually talked about how his appearance was an issue for him as a rapper...
Well, blue eyes aren't exactly a Spaniard trait. Most Spaniards do have darker eyes, which is of course expected in the South of Europe. But I agree the guy looks White. I find it surprising he even admits he is, but I hear Cubans are more likely to claim they are racially White than other Hispanic groups.

I will say though that if you look at pics of him when he was younger, he looks more mixed.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,915,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
the concept of race in america makes no sense

hispanic is so strange, I have such a hard time seeing myself as hispanic.... I just don't get it, like a black colombian is the same race as a white chilean or a chinese from panama is the same race as an arab from colombia, and a person from mexico is the same race as one of those german menonites from paraguay (it's weird)

but white too, like an albanian and a brit are COMPLETELY OPPOSITES, the only thing they can possibly have in common is that they are both from countries that happen to be located in europe, other than that they have absolutely nothing in common culturally or historically.

black doesnt make sense either.... a black person from colombia is not the same as a black british, or a black french is very different from a nigerian, an american black is different from a black from portugal, it's all very different cultures and mindsets.

'I think the American categorization of race is not scientific at all, neither is culturally sensitive.... it;s just strange and archaic.
This is the best post I have seen on race. Good post I agree with it.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Quote:
Well, blue eyes aren't exactly a Spaniard trait. Most Spaniards do have darker eyes, which is of course expected in the South of Europe. But I agree the guy looks White. I find it surprising he even admits he is, but I hear Cubans are more likely to claim they are racially White than other Hispanic groups.
Two things.

1. Cuba in general had a huge level of immigration from Spain in the late 19th and early 20th century. Cuba was only listed at 41.5% white in the 1841 census, but was 67.9% white by the 1899 census. As a result, Cubans tend to vary much more dramatically in terms of how white/black they look compared to Puerto Ricans or Dominicans, where more people appear mixed.

2. The other aspect is the majority of Cuba's 19th century immigration was from Asturias and Galicia, which are in the north of Spain. People there tend to be a bit lighter, and both blond hair and blue eyes are not unknown.

Quote:
I will say though that if you look at pics of him when he was younger, he looks more mixed.
He used to wear cornrows, but it's pretty clear he had mostly straight hair if you look at him closely.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or