U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 02:09 PM

28,258 posts, read 26,231,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I agree that in the US, people from Spain have a look that isn't associated with traditional Whiteness.
Tommy Robredo looks whiteish.

http://celebrityemotion.com//wp-cont...edo-Player.jpg

Ramon Rodriguez could pass for White (maybe?)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...640_SY720_.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM

28,258 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Rosie Perez looks mulatto. Her skin color changes and varies at times. I think her hair color can affect how her looks appear. She looks more mixed. Do you have any pics of her when she looks more white?
Rosie Perez wasn't a good example. She clearly has African ancestry. Just look at her nose and hair texture.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ar...oads/perez.jpg

http://weadiamedia.com/wp-content/up...sie-perez1.jpg

Angie Martinez, on the other hand, probably wouldn't stand out in Spain.

http://nahright.com/news/m.php/images/angie.jpg

Old 10-29-2014, 02:22 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,843,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That is a south Florida tan dude. I'm a rosy white guy with mostly German ancestry and my skin would look like that too if I spent an afternoon on south beach.
It ain't the skin tone, "dude", it's his overall appearance. I think he looks slightly mixed even without a tan.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Here are some young Spaniards. All have a Mediterranean element to them, no doubt.

Wendy Paniagua Photos - Young Unemployed Spaniards Go Dutch - Zimbio

The features that are consistent across the "typical" Spanish look are:

Thick eyebrows
Prominent, long noses
Low cheekbones
Medium to small chins (but not weak)
Narrow, oval faces
Wide, large eyes

I'm sure there are more but those are the features I saw in all pictures of Spaniards. And of course, these are accompanied usually by brown/black hair and dark eyes. Even in the presence of lighter features I find that most of the above are present. This is why I say Pitbull doesn't look like a traditional Spaniard.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Do you have a link to that study. That sounds more like "white" Cubans on the island, not the ones here.
Check it here. They used American Latinos. Bottom line for three-way admixture for average persons...

Central Americans - 37% Caucasian, 18% African, 45% Native American
Cuban - 73% Caucasian, 21% African, 6% Native American
Dominican - 50% Caucasian, 43% African, 6% Native American
Mexican - 47% Caucasian, 4% African, 48% Native American
Puerto Rican - 62% Caucasian, 25% African, 13% Native American
South American - 50% Caucasian, 11% African, 40% Native American

Edit - just remembered a more recent paper which looked at admixture in each Cuban province. Average was 72% White, 20% Black, and 8% Native American. Much less white in the far south though, around Santiago De Cuba and Guantanamo.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Check it here. They used American Latinos. Bottom line for three-way admixture for average persons...

Central Americans - 37% Caucasian, 18% African, 45% Native American
Cuban - 73% Caucasian, 21% African, 6% Native American
Dominican - 50% Caucasian, 43% African, 6% Native American
Mexican - 47% Caucasian, 4% African, 48% Native American
Puerto Rican - 62% Caucasian, 25% African, 13% Native American
South American - 50% Caucasian, 11% African, 40% Native American

Edit - just remembered a more recent paper which looked at admixture in each Cuban province. Average was 72% White, 20% Black, and 8% Native American. Much less white in the far south though, around Santiago De Cuba and Guantanamo.
Of course there are those that lean more one way than others, especially children of recent immigrants and not children of people who have inhabited Latin America since colonial and pre-colonial times.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Average Mexican face:

You can clearly see the dominant European and Amerindian genes in the face of an average Mexican, with very little Black admixture. I always do find that Mexican WOMEN tend to exhibit a more "Asiatic" character to their face more than the men do. This male/female comparison certainly seems to show it. But then you look at Mario Lopez and he definitely exhibits "Asiatic" traits himself.

Also am I the only that thinks that the "average" Mexican woman pictured here is quite pretty?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Average Puerto Rican face. You can see more of an African dynamic going on here, along with the similar Mediterranean element present in the Mexican face, except this one definitely isn't as Amerindian.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,471,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pitbull is a better example of a latino from the Caribbean (Cuban in his case) who would pass as Spanish. He even has blue eyes.

I'm guessing he's a little mixed, but not enough that it can really be seen.

He's actually talked about how his appearance was an issue for him as a rapper...
He was born and raised in Florida!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:13 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,471,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
the concept of race in america makes no sense

hispanic is so strange, I have such a hard time seeing myself as hispanic.... I just don't get it, like a black colombian is the same race as a white chilean or a chinese from panama is the same race as an arab from colombia, and a person from mexico is the same race as one of those german menonites from paraguay (it's weird)

but white too, like an albanian and a brit are COMPLETELY OPPOSITES, the only thing they can possibly have in common is that they are both from countries that happen to be located in europe, other than that they have absolutely nothing in common culturally or historically.

black doesnt make sense either.... a black person from colombia is not the same as a black british, or a black french is very different from a nigerian, an american black is different from a black from portugal, it's all very different cultures and mindsets.

'I think the American categorization of race is not scientific at all, neither is culturally sensitive.... it;s just strange and archaic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or