U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-03-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,920,250 times
Reputation: 4778

Advertisements

I love how most Americans think most Latino/Hispanic= Mexican. Hey Americans, more Spanish speaking countries in the world besides Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love how most Americans think most Latino/Hispanic= Mexican. Hey Americans, more Spanish speaking countries in the world besides Mexico.
As said before, they don't here. Or most places in the Northeast. Massachusetts is 9.6% hispanic. Of those only 6% are Mexican. New York State is 17.7% hispanic, of those 13% are Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,920,250 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As said before, they don't here. Or most places in the Northeast. Massachusetts is 9.6% hispanic. Of those only 6% are Mexican. New York State is 17.7% hispanic, of those 13% are Mexican.
I just speaking in general terms of most Americans and that is true.. the Northeast is mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican and other island Latinos and not Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
After visiting Spain, a lot of them look Spanish. But of course many could pass for white American, with some dress differences. I remember in Spain, I'd sometime think: "oh, they look American". Until they opened their mouth and I heard Spanish.
Spaniards do have a distinct look, though. *Some* Americans wouldn't think they pass as White. I'm not saying I am one of them who thinks this way. I am Southern European and many people think I'm White, but in some parts many people think I'm Middle Eastern, or just racially ambiguous (like White mixed with something else not White). In the Northeast, the Mediterranean look is de facto. In the Upper Midwest, it does stand out. To say Mediterraneans look like Nordic people is not accurate, because they really don't. And yes, there are people to this day that think only Nordics are White.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 03:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Spaniards do have a distinct look, though. *Some* Americans wouldn't think they pass as White. I'm not saying I am one of them who thinks this way. I am Southern European and many people think I'm White, but in some parts many people think I'm Middle Eastern, or just racially ambiguous (like White mixed with something else not White). In the Northeast, the Mediterranean look is de facto. In the Upper Midwest, it does stand out. To say Mediterraneans look like Nordic people is not accurate, because they really don't. And yes, there are people to this day that think only Nordics are White.
Don't think anyone claimed that. Southern Europeans vary in appearance, many don't look that different from other Europeans. Anyway, do you really think that most of those Spanish college students would stand out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 05:49 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,095,280 times
Reputation: 609
Hispanic is like saying Jewish people imediately think of one race
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
After visiting Spain, a lot of them look Spanish. But of course many could pass for white American, with some dress differences. I remember in Spain, I'd sometime think: "oh, they look American". Until they opened their mouth and I heard Spanish.
It also doesn't help that most of the famous Spaniards that Americans know about, tend to have darker features. Add to the fact that Americans have no problem lumping Spaniards and Latin Americans as one racial group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 08:45 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It also doesn't help that most of the famous Spaniards that Americans know about, tend to have darker features. Add to the fact that Americans have no problem lumping Spaniards and Latin Americans as one racial group.
But not only famous Spaniards tend to have darker features. As a whole, Spain is a relatively darker population. They're not looking like Irishmen over there. More like Italians or Greeks. This idea that "only famous" Spaniards are the dark ones is wishful thinking. I mean, the climate of Spain doesn't lend itself to being very fair. Even the Northwest corner of Galicia shows a high incidence of dark features.

Here is a composite of what the average Spaniard looks like:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 09:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
A friend from Colombian whose ancestry is all Spanish, gets a surprised reaction when they find out she's a native Spanish speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 09:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But not only famous Spaniards tend to have darker features. As a whole, Spain is a relatively darker population. They're not looking like Irishmen over there. More like Italians or Greeks. This idea that "only famous" Spaniards are the dark ones is wishful thinking. I mean, the climate of Spain doesn't lend itself to being very fair. Even the Northwest corner of Galicia shows a high incidence of dark features.
Darker compared to who? They don't look like most Latin Americans or Latin American immigrants. I don't think gwillyfromphilly meant Spanish were fairer than Italians or Greeks, but not any darker. Actual Spanish people were posted on the previous page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top