U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:03 PM

469 posts, read 417,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
but Delpo is more of a borderline case.
https://www.google.com/search?q=del+...ih=971#imgrc=_

I did a google search and IMO he's not borderline at all. The guy looks white to me.

^^I'd have a really hard time believing there are many people out there who would consider him "non white".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,589,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
How do you determine whether someone has Amerindian mixture? I can't ever.
Morphological features, genetics, pigmentation. It might become difficult if the person is predominantly White (about 80% European) or Black (About 65-70% Sub-Saharan African).

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Morphological features, genetics, pigmentation. It might become difficult if the person is predominantly White (about 80% European) or Black (About 65-70% Sub-Saharan African).
Genetics? Unless you have some tool at your disposal to test that, appearance surely can't give it away.

I usually think features such as
High cheekbones
Low body hair frequency
Straight hair
Weak facial hair
Epicanthic folds or traces of almond eyes
Short stature

I gotta be honest I didn't see those features in the man you described as partially Amerindian. His low forehead, maybe??

Edit: I just looked at the pic again and I did notice some of the features I listed, actually.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 PM

66 posts, read 55,587 times
Because of lazy US government definitions that mean absolutely nothing.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:26 AM

59 posts, read 31,883 times
Many Americans think Hispanic is a race, because they often confuse race for ethnicity and culture etc. Many also have preconceived notions of people from Spanish speaking countries as having a unique distinct culture that is monolithic or apart of some umbrella and often don't know how to categorize them into the race or racialization paradigm.

However, Hispanic is NOT a race, and Hispanics can be of any race, skin color, shade, tone, or religion.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:27 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
I would say most Americans incorrectly think Hispanic is a race

And to be fair, the majority of Hispanics in the US are mestizo

Old 12-19-2016, 02:40 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
I'd say physical anthropology essentially boils down to three general racial groups (Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid), mainly based on skull forms. Genetics usually cluster people into several groups that are more or less similar, though Northeast Asians and Amerindians and Southeast Asians-Pacific Islands are somewhat distinct.

http://anthropogenesis.kinshipstudie...nguistics1.jpg

When a forensic anthropologist says a body is "Hispanic" (i.e. a dead body with no ID) or a geneticist says "Hispanics" are genetically predisposed adult onset diabetes; they should be saying "Amerindian."
Not true, because one, they're likely to be mestizo rather than straight up indigenous, and two, Puerto Ricans for instance would generally be perceived by most as "Hispanic" but they don't have much indigenous blood.

As for diabetes, I think that would have more to do with diet among Hispanics rather than genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or