Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
You know where it really gets confusing? Filipinos. I have heard some Filipinos self-identify as being hispanic, while I've heard others identify as Asian. Since there are white, black, and brown hispanics... why not Asian?

This is one area of this issue I have never been able to fully grasp.
Most of the Filipinos I've met only identified as either Asian or Pacific Islander. Never Hispanic. What's interesting about Filipino culture is that their Spanish influences actually come from Mexico rather than Spain.

Filipinos have their own style of Pinatas

And Tamales.

And other things that are influenced from Mexican culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It's really not. Even within the White race, there are more similarities between a Saudi Arabian and an Irishman than there are between a Mennonite Mexican and a Black Honduran with West African lineage.
Not accurate.

If a person from Mediterranean, North African, or Middle Eastern decent with olive skin, dark eyes, and black hair iand as a blue-eyed, blonde-haired Scandinavian are the same "race"....hispanics are too.

"Whiteness" wasn't really culturally considered a race in mainstream America as it is today until the 20th century.

If "hispanic" is just an "ethnicity" that can be part of any race on the census...the same should apply to other groups. "Asian" includes people of Persian/Arab, SE Asia, and the Indian subcontinent decent. To consider all of those people the same race and not have the special "ethnicity" category on the census when Hispanic does is a little ridiculous.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
I met some Latinos that were Jewish in Miami, thats pretty cool. Lot of Latinos in Florida tend to be white I did notice especially the wealthy Cubans and South Americans and lot of them are Jewish in Miami Beach.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Hispanic is just as much a race as White is a race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Nope. Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. There are too many white hispanics to separate it as a race. Ethnicity and race are mutually independent of each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It's really not. Even within the White race, there are more similarities between a Saudi Arabian and an Irishman than there are between a Mennonite Mexican and a Black Honduran with West African lineage.
Y'all missed TarHeelNick's point. His point wasn't that Hispanic is a race, but that it is just as ridiculous to think as Hispanics as one race as it is to think of 'Whites' as one. There is no such thing as a white race. The white race is a socio-cultural creation, not a biological/physiological one.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:25 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I met some Latinos that were Jewish in Miami, thats pretty cool. Lot of Latinos in Florida tend to be white I did notice especially the wealthy Cubans and South Americans and lot of them are Jewish in Miami Beach.
Dated a Jewish Mexican dude once. He was a pretty pale guy, with blondish/brown hair. I know there are many Jews in Northwestern and Central Mexico.

I was also reading about the big impact they are having in Central American countries like Panama (check out: Muslims and Jews in Panamá | ReVista ).

Old 12-08-2014, 03:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Latin culture originated out of Southern Europe(Spain, Portugal, etc.)
I agree. These designations are stupid.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Y'all missed TarHeelNick's point. His point wasn't that Hispanic is a race, but that it is just as ridiculous to think as Hispanics as one race as it is to think of 'Whites' as one. There is no such thing as a white race. The white race is a socio-cultural creation, not a biological/physiological one.
Well, no, Because Hispanics can have origins in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Whereas a European's origins are just Europe.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
The only people who think Hispanic is a race is someone geared to find inequality somehow- put people in a tidy box--- and label them -never happen - we are all Eve's children ... so get over yourselves and celebrate the cultures and foods

Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
[quote=EddieOlSkool;37566132]Well, no, Because Hispanics can have origins in Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Whereas a European's origins are just Europe.[/quote]

Maybe --they are now saying the Hebrew people might have been in the north Americas first, with DNA testing it's getting more and more mixed up this lineage we think we know... keep digging...

Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Most of the Filipinos I've met only identified as either Asian or Pacific Islander. Never Hispanic. What's interesting about Filipino culture is that their Spanish influences actually come from Mexico rather than Spain.

Filipinos have their own style of Pinatas

And Tamales.

And other things that are influenced from Mexican culture.

I agree with this, Filipinos are not considered Hispanic, neither do most consider themselves as such.
Likewise a Spaniard is also NOT a Hispanic, in the census they would identify as white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.