Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It really does boggle my mind that people in other parts of the country have such restrictive definitions of white. At least four of the Hispanics that hobbesdj showed pictures of look to clearly be "white" to me. Where I grew up in Connecticut, by the standards suggested, virtually no one was white, because over half the people were of Italian, Portuguese, or Jewish descent.

And in my own personal experience, yes, basically everyone from a European country is considered white. And also a lot of people from the Middle East (particularly Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, and Iran) provided they don't wear a hijab or something.

Most really aren't anywhere near as mixed as Latinos honestly. Most Muslim Arabs have some black African ancestry, but it's on the order of 5%-20% depending upon the country. Until you get to Central Asia or Afghanistan, there really isn't a measurable proportion of Asian ancestry (except a few percent in the Turks). For the most part, peoples in the Near East are a mixture of different populations which geneticists call "West Eurasian" - which is the same population group as Europeans. The bottom line is genetically speaking everyone from Norway to Yemen really is pretty much the same race.
But look at the old Islamic paintings--the people in them have East Asian features. Gradually as the people there began mixing with other groups, those features generally weren't as prominent, but it's still there. A lot of North African and West Asian people I know, in the Census, either put in 'Other', 'Mixed/Two or More Races', and sometimes even 'Black' or 'Asian'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
most americans when they say hispanic they think mexicans

its funny because in south america is very different from mexico

no spicy food
no sombreros
no mariachi music
aztecs
all that stuff is mexico... you wouldn't find any of that in south america.... in south america you'd find tango, samba, bossa nova, lots of meat (south americans consume more meat than any other region of the world)....

as far as the people, the people are very mixed like folks in the US, from white, to black and everything in between... south americans look different from the traditional mexican folks

this is why in many ways south americans detest to be called Latinos, because it's a label that focuses almost exclusively on mexican people, and its not that we dislike mexicans but we are different, while mexicans are a huge diaspora in the US, south americans are mostly small immigrant communities

culturally speaking is just different

Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

no spicy food
no sombreros
no mariachi music
aztecs
all that stuff is mexico... you wouldn't find any of that in south america.... in south america you'd find tango, samba, bossa nova, lots of meat (south americans consume more meat than any other nation).... and the people are very mixed like folks in the US, from white, to black and everything in between

this is why in many ways south americans detest to be called latnos, because it's a label that focuses almost exclusively on mexican people, and its not that we dislike mexicans but we are different, while mexicans are a huge diaspora in the US, south americans are mostly small immigrant communities

There is spicy food in South America.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
There is spicy food in South America.
not really

south american cuisine is mostly composed of meat, root vegetables, tropical fruits, fish

Old 10-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
not really

south american cuisine is mostly composed of meat, root vegetables, tropical fruits, fish
Peruvian food is quite spicy. Ever have aji?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Peruvian food is quite spicy. Ever have aji?
no never, i tried peruvian food though but it didnt strike me as spicy like mexican or indian for example

Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Quote:

no spicy food
no sombreros
no mariachi music
aztecs
all that stuff is mexico... you wouldn't find any of that in south america.... in south america you'd find tango, samba, bossa nova, lots of meat (south americans consume more meat than any other region of the world)....

as far as the people, the people are very mixed like folks in the US, from white, to black and everything in between... south americans look different from the traditional mexican folks

this is why in many ways south americans detest to be called Latinos, because it's a label that focuses almost exclusively on mexican people, and its not that we dislike mexicans but we are different, while mexicans are a huge diaspora in the US, south americans are mostly small immigrant communities

Lets be real, no one cares about any of the countries south of Mexico.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
no never, i tried peruvian food though but it didnt strike me as spicy like mexican or indian for example
It didn't strike you as spicy, though you've never had it?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Lets be real, no one cares about any of the countries south of Mexico.
I do. I care how they are, places like Panama, Venezuela, Paraguay, Chile, etc.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

For example, I am sitting here with David Rock's Argentina 1516-1987: From Spanish Colonization to Alfonsin in front of me and I can clearly look up immigration data to Argentina. On page 166 he clearly states that there were around 1 million Italians and more than 800,000 Spaniards in Argentina, in addition to the original wave of Spaniards who pioneered the country. There were also 94,000 Russians and Poles, 86,000 French, 80,000 Ottoman Turks including Lebanese and Syrians. The Germans, Welsh, and other supposedly widesopread immigrants made up less than 5,000 each. So give me a break about trying to make these places look like German or British colonies. The "whitest" country in Latin America, Argentina, is mostly Italian and Spanish, from the far south of Europe. Yet Argentines are famous for embellishing their supposed whiteness and looking down on Brazilians for example.
How could they embellish their whiteness when they're white? Why would it matter whether they're from Spain, Italy, or Germany? Aregntina is whiter than the US.

Quote:
Are you serious? Speaking English for example is being culturally American. Speaking Spanish or Chinese is foreign. The Mexicans are not comparable to the Irish or Scottish, that really is a ridiculous contrast. Mexicans are far more foreign, and have a much harder time assimilating. They speak natively a different language. The Scottish and Irish are "native" Americans, as are the English and Germans and African Americans; Mexicans are not. They are a foreign people moving to America.
German immigrants were foreign when they arrive in larger numbers in the 19th century, they didn't speak English. Many kept speaking German for many decades after arriving depending on the region of settlement of the US. While they may have been more similar culturally to Americans, they were still foreign.

Quote:
The Latin people Europe from Italy, Spain and Portugal (especially), and even France look Every different from Americans, as do the Slavs from eastern Europe.
I've been to Spain. Many if not most didn't look that different from Americans feature-wise. Though fewer had light hair, it was more proportions than something drastically obvious. Doubt Italy would be any different.

Quote:
It really is so simple. I don't see what's so hard to get, or why some want to reject what they are to be something they aren't.
It's hard to get because some of those you label not white appear white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.