U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,845,880 times

Advertisements

I feel like this one should be easy to debunk. Just look at celebs like George Lopez, then look at Major League Baseball Players like Yasiel Puig or actors like Andy Garcia to maybe see that there probably isn't some mythical Hispanic race.

But then you have people who say "well those are just skin tone variations, but Hispanic is still a race". What makes people believe this nonsense? To be fair I think the concept of race is flawed to begin with but if it was to exist at least people would have a point in thinking Northern Europeans are the same "race" like West Africans are the same "race". But Hispanics?

Why does this Hispanic term even exist? They are not a monolithic group. Latin American countries are not homogeneous AT ALL (just look at Venezuela or Puerto Rico). The fact that they speak the same language is irrelevant, as no one believes in an "Anglian" race made up of people from Anglophone countries.

I think this term should be dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Legally speaking, Hispanics have basically never been considered a race. The last Census did not consider Hispanic/Latino a race, but a separate box you check along with your race. IIRC except for the 1930 census (which had Mexican as a race) they were always considered white on the Census historically speaking. Unlike Blacks, Asians, and Native Americans they were never subject to any Jim Crow laws, they never attended segregated schools, could always intermarry with Anglos, and had property rights which were mostly unimpeded by restrictive covenants. That isn't to say that there wasn't some animus against them at various times in U.S. history, but it was no worse than many European immigrant groups had. For example, in 1900 or so Finns were not allowed to vote in Minnesota (on the grounds of purported "Mongol ancestry" but Hispanics were.

Colloquially speaking, I think it varies a lot depending upon the part of the country you're in. I think that the idea Hispanic is a "race" is more common in the West, where most Hispanics are Mexican or Central American, and have a similar (e.g., Mestizo) look. I think it's less common on the East Coast, because people have experience with Latinos who look white and black as well. So while it might be considered a large "family" of ethnic groups, it's not seen as a race thing.

I also think that any idea that Latino is a race is going to ultimately be transitory. I have friends who were adopted as children from Columbia, and don't speak a lick of Spanish. Socially speaking, they "pass" as white perfectly. More and more people will be in this position as we get to 3rd/4th generation Hispanics, particularly ones who are half Anglo (or something else).

It's also worth noting that race in the social sense is different from race in the genetic sense anyway. I mean, there are some black Americans who are actually 50% or more white in terms of their DNA, but they still identify as being black rather than white due to their upbringing. Who are we to say they are wrong about their self identity?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 AM

1,593 posts, read 833,796 times
Hispanic or Latinos can isn't a race it's an ethnicity. It's like saying I'm an American, I'm an American and I'm white as snow and Lebron James is an American and he's a black guy. Just like Manu Giniobili and David Ortiz.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 AM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
^^Hispanics from Mexico and Central/South America are more accurately bi-racial, e.g. part Native American and part European.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Hispanic as a "ethnicity" is tracked basically because a lot of people have a vested political interest in "Hispanics" or "Latinos" as a separate group--on both sides of the spectrum... It's one of the interesting parts of the census.

It is interesting though because, in the end it's just a broad regional group united by language(though you don't even have to speak the language to be part of the group)... Someone can be 3rd or 4th generation from Puerto Rico or Mexico and not speak any Spanish and they're still going to be "Hispanic". While a guy from Albania or Estonia could move here tomorrow with no English language ability and they're just considered white/Caucasian(at least on the census).

I have friends from Latin America who are basically Italian or German or Lebanese, yet they can choose "Hispanic" if they feel like it... A friend of mine born in Uruguay has relatives all over Europe(mostly Italian descent), though if they came to the US they'd might just be considered non-Hispanic white/Caucasian as European immigrants, while he'd probably be "Hispanic" white, even though he's lived most of his life in the US and speaks better English than them.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times
I think it's because most of the Hispanics that come here tend to be of native heritage ie have brown skin and a somewhat Asiatic or at least Eurasian appearance. So what people really call the "Hispanic" look could just as easily apply to Native Americans or Canadian Aboriginals, though they do look a bit different from the native people in Latin America.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,118,508 times
If it is true that americans view hispanics/latinos as a "race" then they are down right stupid.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But then you have people who say "well those are just skin tone variations, but Hispanic is still a race". What makes people believe this nonsense? To be fair I think the concept of race is flawed to begin with but if it was to exist at least people would have a point in thinking Northern Europeans are the same "race" like West Africans are the same "race". But Hispanics?

Why does this Hispanic term even exist? They are not a monolithic group. Latin American countries are not homogeneous AT ALL (just look at Venezuela or Puerto Rico). The fact that they speak the same language is irrelevant, as no one believes in an "Anglian" race made up of people from Anglophone countries.

I think this term should be dropped.
Didn't you already start a thread like this elsewhere on the forum? Anyway, I'm Hispanic but I've never heard anyone describe Hispanic as a race. I think most people understand full well that Hispanic is an ethnicity. You or your heritage comes from Latin America, therefore that makes you Hispanic. No need to "drop" the term.

And it's actually Hispanics who seem to be confused about race. The reason why the percentage of whites in America was so high (72%) as per the 2010 census is because a lot of Mexicans in the southwest and Puerto Ricans/Dominicans in the northeast described their race as "white" when clearly many of them are not.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
And it's actually Hispanics who seem to be confused about race. The reason why the percentage of whites in America was so high (72%) as per the 2010 census is because a lot of Mexicans in the southwest and Puerto Ricans/Dominicans in the northeast described their race as "white" when clearly many of them are not.
Exactly what percentage of European DNA do you need to have to be considered white in your opinion?

I ask because there's now plenty of evidence from genetic studies about the various levels of ancestry different Latin America groups have from Europeans, Native Americans, and Africans. According to 23andme, the average U.S. Latino is 70% European, 14% Native American, and 6% African. This result seems higher to me than other studies I have seen, and may be because whiter Latinos tend to be wealthier and more likely to have the resources for genetic genealogy. Still, other studies have generally shown that in a lot of Latin America (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Columbia, etc) most people are significantly more than 50% European in ancestry.

Regardless, people can call themselves what they want.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Exactly what percentage of European DNA do you need to have to be considered white in your opinion?

I ask because there's now plenty of evidence from genetic studies about the various levels of ancestry different Latin America groups have from Europeans, Native Americans, and Africans. According to 23andme, the average U.S. Latino is 70% European, 14% Native American, and 6% African. This result seems higher to me than other studies I have seen, and may be because whiter Latinos tend to be wealthier and more likely to have the resources for genetic genealogy. Still, other studies have generally shown that in a lot of Latin America (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Columbia, etc) most people are significantly more than 50% European in ancestry.

Regardless, people can call themselves what they want.
It's funny that a lot of non-white Hispanics will readily consider themselves white but NOT any other race. Racial classifications aren't based upon percentages of genetic lineages anyway. After all, you need to undergo a DNA test to figure that out. Barack Obama is directly biracial. Should he consider himself a white man just because he's got a white parent? Should we discount the fact he doesn't look like anything but a black man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or