U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:16 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,185,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post

What's the best hour of the day for African Americans to work?
Whatever hour comes right before our lunch break.

Quote:
What kind of car should African Americans drive to be successful?
Lexus. Any model.

Quote:
What fabric color should African Americans wear to make others happy?
White.

Quote:
What temperature should African Americans keep their thermostats on while sleeping?
75-80.

Come on Chilly. No one here is saying that there is one state that guarantees the success of all blacks. It's just a statistics question. Purely based in what's on paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,374,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Whatever hour comes right before our lunch break.

Lexus. Any model.

White.

75-80.

Come on Chilly. No one here is saying that there is one state that guarantees the success of all blacks. It's just a statistics question. Purely based in what's on paper.
I'm aware. I just hate the implications of the question. There are successful black people in every state, just as there are successful asians, latinos, whites, et al. Asking which state has the largest population of affluent black people is far different from asking which state is the "best for black people"...as if there are certain sections of the map we should stick to.

Hilarious answers, btw.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 AM

30,002 posts, read 27,554,003 times
Quote:
I don't think we need to complicate things, though. He asked a simple question so give him a simple answer. Maryland.
It's not complicating things; it's just reality.

And truthfully, there's no one best place for all African Americans. I think what the OP is really asking is which state do African Americans do better when it comes to things like income, educational attainment, etc. Small but key difference.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I'm aware. I just hate the implications of the question. There are successful black people in every state, just as there are successful asians, latinos, whites, et al. Asking which state has the largest population of affluent black people is far different from asking which state is the "best for black people"...as if there are certain sections of the map we should stick to.
Right.

Also, if you look at other categories beyond those related to affluence, I'm not sure if MD comes out on top. When it comes to graduation rates, health status, life expectancy, incarceration rates, etc., a state like CO could very well make a case for itself here.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not complicating things; it's just reality.

And truthfully, there's no one best place for all African Americans. I think what the OP is really asking is which state do African Americans do better when it comes to things like income, educational attainment, etc. Small but key difference.
We knew what he meant and that's what matters. It's City-Data, so when all else fails, give him the data. If he wants the specifics then let him for ask for them.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
We knew what he meant and that's what matters. It's City-Data, so when all else fails, give him the data. If he wants the specifics then let him for ask for them.
There's more than one way to look at things and there's nothing wrong with considering other perspectives. But I'm not trying to get in a fight about it on this good Lord's Day.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's more than one way to look at things and there's nothing wrong with considering other perspectives. But I'm not trying to get in a fight about it on this good Lord's Day.
I'm not fighting. I actually agree with you.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:09 PM

43,593 posts, read 42,180,745 times
Quote:
I don't think we need to complicate things, though. He asked a simple question so give him a simple answer. Maryland.
If the OP is from Europe, which he may not be but who knows, he may not understand how LARGE our states actually are and how varied their populations can be.

I agree that naming metro areas is better than naming states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.