Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 02:18 PM

645 posts, read 829,266 times

Advertisements

I guess this thought comes from the school shooting incidents, and Investigation Discovery shows, where people pop each other for nothing.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,566,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Are you trying to argue that the purpose of the gun isn't to kill?

keep smacking. Perhaps you will do some good there. The PURPOSE of an inanimate object is whatever purpose the person chooses.

The purpose of my guns is to provide recreational activities surrounding marksmanship skills. I have a couple guns DESIGNED more for personal defense than recreational use, and the PURPOSE of those weapons are to remain unused forever.

Quote:
Guns were designed to kill. Recreational purposes appeared after projectile weapons were first created, and they were first created for warfare. Just because it happens to have non-lethal uses doesn't mean its primary lethal purpose can be ignored. That's like trying to say tanks are good for a daily commute.
Design and Purpose are two different words with very different meanings. Just because something is designed for a purpose does not mean that is the only purpose it can or should have. The components in your cell phone were designed to permit a spaceship to orbit the moon. That does not mean you have to be in orbit to make a phone call. it also demonstrates that the primary purpose of this object has deviated from it's original purpose. The list of examples in this stream is almost infinite so i will stop at one.

To argue the original primary purpose of something is forever it's purpose is ludicrous. The teeth in the human head have very definite design purposes. Try telling a vegan that they are misusing their canines. Should they have them removed if they choose to stop eating meat? Why can't they simply re-purpose them for a use they were not originally designed for and be happy?

Even though scientist tell us that canine teeth were designed for "ripping and tearing flesh", I see few newstories about teeth becoming evil objects and biting people or their owners. Even if i do know for a fact this happens.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
You can stir your coffee with the end of a pistol. Works OK. I once used a rifle to hold up a window, as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:36 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,482,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You can stir your coffee with the end of a pistol. Works OK. I once used a rifle to hold up a window, as well.
Target shooting doesn't involve killing at all, and there are plenty of rifles designed specifically for target/competition shooting.

I don't think any have been designed for stirring coffee or propping open windows, but that just goes to show that even if the tool is designed to kill, it can be used for purposes that don't involve killing.

(If you want to keep shooting your pistol, I recommend a good cleaning after every coffee.)

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
I once killed a man with a nailclippers. Just for snoring too loud.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,478,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I believe that when foreigners talk of the American gun obsession it is because the movies are so full of gun violence.

You live in San Francisco, OP, where people tend to be less outdoorsy. I am in an outdoor recreation area and everyone I know hunts and owns hunting rifles and sometimes hunting bows. Everyone owns fishing rods. Probably the only ones who don't own a gun around here are the people who moved here from San Francisco.

All the farmers and ranchers carry guns that are used to protect their crops or livestock from varmints.

There is no "obsession". Guns are a tool and used for a specific purpose, and nobody is doing much talking about them or thinking about them, until it is hunting season again.

There tend to not be "gun stores". Guns are purchased at the sporting goods department of Walmart or at sporting good stores, the same places that you buy your camping equipment.

By the way, most of us participate in eating meat. That meat was once a living creature, and killed for our table. The hunters all eat what they kill, too. The deer are managed and their populations supported, so it is not too much different from eating cattle.
I disagree. Nowhere else you can shop for a gun that easily and in America police tends to shoot people dead all the time etc. So I would say there's definately some kind of a "culture"

Also in your country you are allowed to use a gun to kill someone and it's legal to carry a gun in public yes? These things really don't exist anywhere else.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post

Also in your country you are allowed to use a gun to kill someone and it's legal to carry a gun in public yes? These things really don't exist anywhere else.
Not everywhere. In the US, individual states have a lot of power and create their own legislation on stuff like gun laws. It's different everywhere. In my state, it is very hard to get away with using a gun, even in self defense. You also cannot carry a gun on you in NJ. It depends.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 AM

32,761 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
I disagree. Nowhere else you can shop for a gun that easily and in America police tends to shoot people dead all the time etc. So I would say there's definately some kind of a "culture"

I disagree with your disagreement.

"Despite concerns that it contains systematic errors, the Small Arms Survey 2007,[3] provides an estimate of the total number of known civilian-owned guns in a country per 100 people of that country."

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My brother worked in the Middle East for many years. There are a lot of gun owners in that region.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 PM

716 posts, read 390,404 times
Quote:
Are you trying to argue that the purpose of the gun isn't to kill?

Guns were designed to kill. Recreational purposes appeared after projectile weapons were first created, and they were first created for warfare. Just because it happens to have non-lethal uses doesn't mean its primary lethal purpose can be ignored. That's like trying to say tanks are good for a daily commute.
As a liberal gun owner/collector I have to disagree. While you’re correct that guns were originally designed to kill, that’s not the case for all guns now. Many are designed specifically for target practice and while they can be used to kill so can many other items that weren’t designed for that, like a flair gun or a shovel.

You could claim that knives were originally designed to kill, but would you argue that the primary purpose of a butter or putty knife is to kill?!?

Last edited by sd-bound; 11-13-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Should have read all the posts, seems everone made this point...

Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,478,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not everywhere. In the US, individual states have a lot of power and create their own legislation on stuff like gun laws. It's different everywhere. In my state, it is very hard to get away with using a gun, even in self defense. You also cannot carry a gun on you in NJ. It depends.
Okay that's cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.