U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:15 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,192,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I disagree with your disagreement.

"Despite concerns that it contains systematic errors, the Small Arms Survey 2007,[3] provides an estimate of the total number of known civilian-owned guns in a country per 100 people of that country."

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My brother worked in the Middle East for many years. There are a lot of gun owners in that region.
So you are comparing 3rd world countries to the US? Are you saying that it is one?

Take a look at that list and please tell me in which countries you are allowed to use a gun against a human. Even Finland is on that list because there's lots of hunters here!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM

12,729 posts, read 10,642,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
So you are comparing 3rd world countries to the US? Are you saying that it is one?

Take a look at that list and please tell me in which countries you are allowed to use a gun against a human. Even Finland is on that list because there's lots of hunters here!
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "allowed to use a gun against a human." If someone kills another person using a gun, they'll likely be charged with murder or manslaughter unless it was truly self-defense, following a police investigation of course, which based on laws in certain states, is sometimes hard to prove.

If you're talking about cops, then they have guns for the protection of themselves and everyone else. Sure, some cops may abuse it in some way or fire when it maybe was not necessary, but they will face repercussions for that and are well-trained. Whenever an officer fires his/her weapon, the incident is investigated no matter what and I believe the officer is usually taken out of the field until the investigation is through. An officer is only supposed to fire when he/she believes it is absolutely necessary, and usually that is if someone is pointing a weapon at them or someone else, directly putting others' lives in danger and will not back down despite orders. Sometimes, cops will shoot someone in the leg or somewhere else nonfatal just to get the suspect down if necessary rather than killing the person.

I'm not really sure what exactly you think about the US. It's not as if people all over the US go around shooting each other and we all think it's okay. I'm not sure what you're thinking here Many Americans don't even own guns nor have they ever touched one, myself included.

I do think there is a type of "gun culture" in the US but I'm a little tired of others judging us for it. The US has freedoms people in most other countries cannot even imagine. It's no surprise to me that Europeans cannot comprehend the 2nd Amendment but can the judgmental elitism at least stop? (this is in general, not to you)

Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM

645 posts, read 618,459 times
90 guns per 100 folks... that's wild! Not sure how its made though. If a person has 10 guns, is it counted as 1 per person? Somewhere around 10 would have been nice!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:15 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,961,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not everywhere. In the US, individual states have a lot of power and create their own legislation on stuff like gun laws. It's different everywhere. In my state, it is very hard to get away with using a gun, even in self defense. You also cannot carry a gun on you in NJ. It depends.
And to further prove that point, this morning at the gas station the guy in front of me had a six shooter on his hip as he paid for his coffee. Nobody was in the least concerned by the sight.

(Side note for those who care: Nobody died.)

Old 11-14-2014, 01:18 AM

25,362 posts, read 24,265,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post

I'm saying that Americans legally buy guns. They admit to owning guns. That doesn't happen in all countries.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm saying that Americans legally buy guns. They admit to owning guns. That doesn't happen in all countries.
Sure, but it happens in a good number of them, including neighboring Canada. What's your point?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,847,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I hear so many foreigners talk about US Americans' gun obsession, but I just don't see it. Nobody I know owns a gun, nobody I know is ok with hunting, and most support stricter gun regulations.

And I know people from both coasts. I don't even recall seeing any gun stores in person.

Is this old 'Americans love guns' trope outdated, or am I just not interacting with the same crowd of people that the commenters are?

Or is it because of invariable references to guns and gun violence in the media. Just curious!
Key words...."from both coasts" try the hundreds of millions in the middle.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 AM

25,362 posts, read 24,265,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sure, but it happens in a good number of them, including neighboring Canada. What's your point?
My point is that when my brother worked in the Middle East he could buy and sell guns (serious guns) for cash easily. There weren't any records. I know that it happens in every country. You can do it in the US, Canada, Europe. It was much easier to do overseas. I'm also saying that the counties that show up on that map as medium blue are harboring a lot more guns than any one knows.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:30 AM

21,223 posts, read 5,651,248 times
Quote:
Absolutely agree. I have read so many British news articles claiming we are "gun crazy!" and "gun obsessed!" in America and stuck in the 1700s. Yeah, ok. I've never even touched a gun. All the while commenters are agreeing, spewing their ignorance and calling Americans names and saying pretty ridiculous, terrible things about all of us. Meanwhile, still haven't touched a gun.

People will attack what they do not understand. That type of freedom isn't allotted in many European countries, they cannot possibly understand it when confronted by it. We suddenly become a nation of gun-crazies who take our guns everywhere, sleep beside them, buy them for all our young daughters, can't imagine life without them - collectively. Foreigners also cannot grasp a country the size of America, where regional differences are often pretty major and where we don't all share the same views and values...

You weren't talking to me, but I live in northern NJ and also know almost no one who owns guns. If they do, they don't let you know and they're probably only for protection, rather than hunting and shooting for fun. I know hunters but there is no "gun culture" in my part of NJ, close to NYC. Not a joke thread, not all Americans are open about their guns, if they even have them. That comes down to regions and areas. Gun and hunting laws can vary greatly across the US and in a state like mine, both are stricter - and I don't come across many people angry about it.
I live in PA where buying and owning guns and getting a license/permit to carry a firearm is a lot easier than in NJ and NYC. The people who own guns here are not the type to "brag" about their owning guns especially the ones who conceal carry.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,192,739 times
Quote:
1. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "allowed to use a gun against a human." If someone kills another person using a gun, they'll likely be charged with murder or manslaughter unless it was truly self-defense, following a police investigation of course, which based on laws in certain states, is sometimes hard to prove.

2. If you're talking about cops, then they have guns for the protection of themselves and everyone else. Sure, some cops may abuse it in some way or fire when it maybe was not necessary, but they will face repercussions for that and are well-trained. Whenever an officer fires his/her weapon, the incident is investigated no matter what and I believe the officer is usually taken out of the field until the investigation is through. An officer is only supposed to fire when he/she believes it is absolutely necessary, and usually that is if someone is pointing a weapon at them or someone else, directly putting others' lives in danger and will not back down despite orders. Sometimes, cops will shoot someone in the leg or somewhere else nonfatal just to get the suspect down if necessary rather than killing the person.

3. I'm not really sure what exactly you think about the US. It's not as if people all over the US go around shooting each other and we all think it's okay. I'm not sure what you're thinking here Many Americans don't even own guns nor have they ever touched one, myself included.

4. I do think there is a type of "gun culture" in the US but I'm a little tired of others judging us for it. The US has freedoms people in most other countries cannot even imagine. It's no surprise to me that Europeans cannot comprehend the 2nd Amendment but can the judgmental elitism at least stop? (this is in general, not to you)
1. I know that in many U.S. states you are allowed to use "lethal force" if someone tries to invade your home etc.

2. Your police is also allowed to shoot people to death for very minor reasons.

Example:
LiveLeak.com - Police Shoot Homeless Man During Camping Arrest - **KILL HIM DEAD****

More dangerous situation in Britain, no one was killed nor shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5CPx4RKWw

3. It seems to be a scary place... Even my American friends are very scared to walk on the street in the night etc. They prefer driving because of the safety!

4. Well people in other countries just can't understand how harming other people or owning devices designed to kill people is freedom.

I'm sorry but your country doesn't appear to be so free anymore:
Quote:
On December 26, 2013, president Obama signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act of 2014.[25][26] The NDAA provision first signed into law in 2012, which permits indefinite detention without trial, remains law as of 2014.

Maybe it's more free than average but it's certainly not the most free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.