U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,450,345 times
Reputation: 4409

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sure, but it happens in a good number of them, including neighboring Canada. What's your point?
You can't just go to the store and buy a gun for self protection here. There is no circumstance where that is allowed ever. You may only buy them for hunting, and you need a licence, and it needs to be physically tested every so often. These are basically rifles. No hand guns, and certainly nothing more than a rifle.

 
Old 11-16-2014, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Finland
1,401 posts, read 1,183,587 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You can't just go to the store and buy a gun for self protection here. There is no circumstance where that is allowed ever. You may only buy them for hunting, and you need a licence, and it needs to be physically tested every so often. These are basically rifles. No hand guns, and certainly nothing more than a rifle.
Just like Europe then
 
Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
You may be right. But in many parts of Asia in example, big cities are safe too. So it has something to do with culture for sure.
All parts of all big cities are perfectly safe? I doubt it. No place is a utopia. There is always poverty, which usually correlates with increased crime. Not all of Chicago is super dangerous. It's certain neighborhoods. Same with New York. There are only a few US cities that are all around pretty dangerous and not places you'd ever volunteer to go, but most of those are comparatively low-populated and don't have much going for them anyway.

The US is a large country, another concept foreigners have a hard time understanding. It's large with over 300 million people and strong state governments. There are 50 states. Things here vary across the board. Finland genuinely seems nice, but it is tiny. It's smaller than California. 5.5 million people live there. It has a low population density. There is little diversity amongst the population, which leads to fewer conflicts because like it or not, differences in race and ethnicity have always and for the foreseeable future will lead to conflict. It's different to govern and live in such a small and different country compared to what Americans are used to. Again - many Europeans cannot understand America (like they think they do). But they sure love to judge.

I could go into the reasons behind poverty, racism, and crime in America, but here is not the place. I can, though, say that Finland and the United States have very different pasts, and very different levels of diversity, often because of their vastly different histories.
 
Old 11-16-2014, 05:33 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
1. Alcohol behind Finland's high homicide rate | ScienceNordic Some drunks stabbing each other is very different from cashier getting murdered at a gas station.

Read your own link. Does it say 100% of homicides are drunks stabbing each-other. No, it doesn't. Again, your claim that innocent people don't get killed by criminals in Finland is completely false, live with it.


Quote:
2. For some reason it doesn't work like this in other countries. This whole consept that very people who are there to protect you should also fear you
Yeah, this "consept", lol.

In the end, in those countries, there is simply nothing to prevent the government from acting tyrannically. They can do what ever they want.

Quote:
3. Yea whatever, here you don't get murdered because someone wants to steal stuff etc. See that link.
Again, you are showing your ignorance or simply lying. That link never says 100% of homicides are drunks stabbing eachother, so it is kinda absurd that you came to that conclusion.

Innocent people get killed by criminals in Finland, period. You. are. wrong.

Quote:
4. Not solely because of the guns, but crime. In Finland violent street crime is basically non existent exluding those drunken brawls.
Oh so street crime is non-existent except for violent street crime... gotchya.

Your chances of being in an automobile accident are STILL higher than your chances of being a victim of violent street crimes, LOL!

Quote:
5. Lol you can easily do a revolution without guns. It happens all over the world all the time. Why are you elected leaders so bad that they would turn america a dictatorship if people wouldn't own guns?
Tons of elected leaders from all over the world have turned tyrannical, the American founding fathers knew that without having the internet.... how do you not know that?

Show me one example of a tyrannical leader getting stopped by a revolution without guns.

Quote:
6. There's also this little thing called democracy we have here
As you can see the US isn't best at it:
That has NOTHING to do with what I said, and still, you don't know the definition of freedom, it isn't democracy, LOL! It is FAR from it, keep shining a light on your ignorance.

Democracy means mob rule. In a straight democracy, the majority can vote away rights of minorities... again, maybe learn the definitions of these concepts before you spout off about them. LOL.

Quote:
7. I didn't mean that Finland is the most free place ever. I just tried to explain why the US isn't the most free either and how freedom has nothing to do with guns.
Lies.

You said you would happily trade guns for real freedom.... you have neither.
 
Old 11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
Yes it's cultural. That's what I as a Canadian and many Europeans will never understand. Guns are an element of American culture and identity. America is also an extremely violent country. You can't leave your doors unlocked at night and you always have to watch your back in society. That's the trade off I guess for personal liberty. I on the other hand wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.
This is a complete lie.

PLENTY of Americans leave their doors unlocked at night and are just fine, and almost NOBODY walks around in society afraid of random gun violence.

The reason you guys don't understand it isn't because the culture is different, it is because you guys have a completely false impression of how people live and act in America.

If you think America is extremely violent as countries go, you have been misled.
 
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
This is a complete lie.

PLENTY of Americans leave their doors unlocked at night and are just fine, and almost NOBODY walks around in society afraid of random gun violence.

The reason you guys don't understand it isn't because the culture is different, it is because you guys have a completely false impression of how people live and act in America.

If you think America is extremely violent as countries go, you have been misled.
I really can't believe what I'm reading from some of these people from other countries. It is sad, what they think - most likely influenced by their media. I thought ours was bad.
 
Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM
 
Location: The REAL WORLD.
21,218 posts, read 5,634,753 times
Reputation: 9404
Time for me to buy another handgun.
 
Old 11-16-2014, 06:54 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,943,201 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
I occasionally watch CNN and have watched most of Michael Moore's Documentaries and the general consensus is America is very violent for a first world nation. Not passing judgement I understand it's just cultural and I respect that.

Lol, if you take Michael Moore seriously, there is your problem. The dude is a proven hack.

It is not "very violent" for a first world nation, it is pretty much middle of the road.
 
Old 11-17-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,401,664 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You can't just go to the store and buy a gun for self protection here. There is no circumstance where that is allowed ever. You may only buy them for hunting, and you need a licence, and it needs to be physically tested every so often. These are basically rifles. No hand guns, and certainly nothing more than a rifle.
Uh....OK. But I was responding to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm saying that Americans legally buy guns. They admit to owning guns. That doesn't happen in all countries.
And responded thusly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sure, but it happens in a good number of them, including neighboring Canada. What's your point?
So both Canadians and Americans (and a lot of other 1st world western nations) "legally buy guns" and "admit to owning guns."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
Yes it's cultural. That's what I as a Canadian and many Europeans will never understand. Guns are an element of American culture and identity. America is also an extremely violent country. You can't leave your doors unlocked at night and you always have to watch your back in society. That's the trade off I guess for personal liberty. I on the other hand wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.
I know a lot of Canadians, and some live in major cities where they don't have guns. Almost every rural Canadian I've ever met, however, is identical to northwoods Midwesterners in terms of gun ownership. And it's straight-up BS that you don't leave things unlocked, as in pretty much every small town and rural part of my state, people leave their doors unlocked and no one is "watching their backs." Stay away from sensationalistic news, is my recommendation!
 
Old 11-17-2014, 03:25 PM
 
Location: US
645 posts, read 611,763 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
Yes it's cultural. That's what I as a Canadian and many Europeans will never understand. Guns are an element of American culture and identity. America is also an extremely violent country. You can't leave your doors unlocked at night and you always have to watch your back in society. That's the trade off I guess for personal liberty. I on the other hand wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.
You are going overboard with this one. Maybe yeah in Detroit! Although I live in a apartment, i have forgotten to lock my doors many many times. Nothing has happened.

I have been to St. Louis, there i am afraid to go out after 20:00 there. Texas is pretty awesome in that respect. I was told to always carry a few bucks of change. One of my friends got roughed up coz one dude asked for a cigg out on the streets, he didn't smoke, so the guy asked for a few bucks, he did not have cash on him at the time, so get was really roughed up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top