Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
Yes it's cultural. That's what I as a Canadian and many Europeans will never understand. Guns are an element of American culture and identity. America is also an extremely violent country. You can't leave your doors unlocked at night and you always have to watch your back in society. That's the trade off I guess for personal liberty. I on the other hand wouldn't touch a gun if you paid me.
WhWhWHAAAAAT? An extremely violent country? Stop listening to that wack job hipocrit piece of &#!#. Yes, there are some bad areas in cities, LIKE IN LARGE CITIES IN THE REST OF THE WORLD. It is a very safe country to live in and there are many places where doors are left unlocked. Watch your back, never. I'm not paranoid! BTW, in this very safe part of the state gun ownership is big. I'd reckon a good number of trucks you see on the road at this time of year around here have guns in them. you'd never know it. Ironic how the most dangerous part of this state is Baltimore which also has the strictest gun laws. It affects the numbers for the whole state such as a few bad sections in a few bad cities affect the numbers for the whole country.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
They think everything is black and white. These are the same people thinking that if you step in the US, you'll get shot.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
That's beyond weird, wtf?
Why is it weird, was he threatening anyone or robbing the place?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
1. Read your own link. Does it say 100% of homicides are drunks stabbing each-other. No, it doesn't. Again, your claim that innocent people don't get killed by criminals in Finland is completely false, live with it.

2. Yeah, this "consept", lol.

In the end, in those countries, there is simply nothing to prevent the government from acting tyrannically. They can do what ever they want.

3. Again, you are showing your ignorance or simply lying. That link never says 100% of homicides are drunks stabbing eachother, so it is kinda absurd that you came to that conclusion.

Innocent people get killed by criminals in Finland, period. You. are. wrong.

4. Oh so street crime is non-existent except for violent street crime... gotchya.

Your chances of being in an automobile accident are STILL higher than your chances of being a victim of violent street crimes, LOL!

5. Tons of elected leaders from all over the world have turned tyrannical, the American founding fathers knew that without having the internet.... how do you not know that?

Show me one example of a tyrannical leader getting stopped by a revolution without guns.

6. That has NOTHING to do with what I said, and still, you don't know the definition of freedom, it isn't democracy, LOL! It is FAR from it, keep shining a light on your ignorance.

7. Democracy means mob rule. In a straight democracy, the majority can vote away rights of minorities... again, maybe learn the definitions of these concepts before you spout off about them. LOL.

8. Lies.

You said you would happily trade guns for real freedom.... you have neither.
1. OMG I know what kind of crime there is in FInland Let me assure you that this is easily one of the safest countries in the world. If you really knew how to google you would know this too.

2. Here we have democracy and transparency. No need for violence. Take a look at this study in example: The Failed States Index 2013 | The Fund for Peace The least failed state sounds good

3. Please trust me, crime is very different here than in your country. No street gangs etc

4. "Violent street crime" here is some drunken brawls and people getting angry while intoxicated. No "bad neighborhoods" even in big cities.

5. Yea well that just can not happen here because the system is extremely transparent and the governement doesnt even have such a "security" machine you have in America. Police is one of the most respected professions and there's no cases of brutality etc. Army has only like 20k professional soldiers, rest of the 300 000 are reservists.

6. Just saying that a good system makes this balance of violence unnessesary.

7. So Americans don't want democracy? Maybe we shouldn't call you western anymore. Democracy is one of the most valued values(lol) in the Western World, right beside the freedom. I proved you how according to many studies America is not the most free country and now you are saying that Democracy is no good? So you are not any better than russians or chinese you like to hate

8. Still have more freedom than you. I'm happy with this trade If I want more freedom I run for parliament!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
1. OMG I know what kind of crime there is in FInland Let me assure you that this is easily one of the safest countries in the world. If you really knew how to google you would know this too.
OMG (lol). Your claim was that criminals killing innocent people simply does. not. happen. in. Finland. You said this to back up your claim that their is no need for self defense. Your claim was simply wrong. Period. It was a lie.

Quote:
2. Here we have democracy and transparency. No need for violence. Take a look at this study in example: The Failed States Index 2013 | The Fund for Peace The least failed state sounds good
Finland has the 5th highest gun ownership rate in the world. This was actually news to me because of your anti-gun attitude. Yeah, The U.S. has twice as many guns, but Finland has twice as much as New Zealand, three times as many as Australia, and eight times as many guns as England and Wales.

So yeah, I guess Finland could protect itself from a tyrannical government... because it has top 3 gun ownership of the modern civilized nations.

Quote:
3. Please trust me, crime is very different here than in your country. No street gangs etc
Oh look, you are plainly lying again.

Crime in Finland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Street shootings and gang violence are extremely rare. A few cases involving motorcycle gangs have occurred in recent years, attracting national attention.
Quote:
The Obtshak, a consortium of the Estonian Mafia (principally of Russian groups ethnic or origins) and Russian Mafia is involved in prostitution in Finland. They may also employ Finns as "minders" (gangsters)
Quote:
There are several competing motorcycle gangs in Finland. Bandidos MC and Hells Angels are international gangs, and Rogues Gallery is a Finnish gang from Lahti. Drug trade and security services are their sources of income.

Hmm, you say no street gangs... but I found evidence of several. Even if shootings from them are rare, the fact that several exist and you say none do, make you a liar or ignorant to the facts.

Quote:
4. "Violent street crime" here is some drunken brawls and people getting angry while intoxicated. No "bad neighborhoods" even in big cities.
Again, you are flatly lying. Show me ANY evidence that 100% of violent crime in Finland is street brawls and angry drunks fighting each-other. You can't. I have provided evidence of gang shootings in recent years.

Again, criminals in Finland commit violence against innocent people. Period. Your lying doesn't change that.

Quote:
5. Yea well that just can not happen here because the system is extremely transparent and the governement doesnt even have such a "security" machine you have in America. Police is one of the most respected professions and there's no cases of brutality etc. Army has only like 20k professional soldiers, rest of the 300 000 are reservists.
Transparency doesn't mean crap if a soldier comes to your door and points a gun at you. You are so naive it is funny. Good thing your countrymen have the third highest gun ownership rate of the modern world.

Quote:
6. Just saying that a good system makes this balance of violence unnessesary.
Bull crap. "Good" systems go tyrannical throughout history as often as bad ones. This doesn't negate the fact that you claimed democracy is freedom, and it isn't.

Quote:
7. So Americans don't want democracy? Maybe we shouldn't call you western anymore. Democracy is one of the most valued values(lol) in the Western World, right beside the freedom.
Read a damn book. Seriously. Read Locke, Voltaire, Bacon, Smith, etc... You do NOT know what freedom is, it is just a generic buzzword to you. You are using it completely out of context. Straight democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

That is why the U.S. Constitution bars government from certain actions. It doesn't matter if the majority votes for things that violate rights... if it violates the Constitution, it is a no-go.

In a straight democracy, all it takes for someone to violate rights is the consent of the majority. It is cute that you think mob rule is the most "valued value".

Quote:
I proved you how according to many studies America is not the most free country and now you are saying that Democracy is no good?
Hey, look who can't read. First of all, you posted two things MAX, and one was ONLY about press freedom. Post one about gun freedom if you are going to single out particular freedoms.

I never said democracy is "no good", I explained to you that it DOES NOT automatically translate to freedom. They are separate concepts. Get some dang reading comprehension.

Quote:
So you are not any better than russians or chinese you like to hate
I don't hate anyone based on their nation of origin. There you go just making things up and lying because you can't stick to the issues.

Quote:
8. Still have more freedom than you. I'm happy with this trade If I want more freedom I run for parliament!
2014 Index of Economic Freedom

USA #12, Finland #19

Fraser Institute - World Freedom Index

USA #7, Finland #13

Look who is straight up lying again. The Fraser Institute doesn't focus on narrow statistics, it looks at the whole picture, and your country ranks almost twice as bad for freedom than the USA.

This is starting to get embarrassing for you. Not only does Finland have the 3rd highest gun ownership in the modern world, but it has street gangs, less freedom than the United States, and violent criminals hurt innocent people there.

I have literally torn apart every argument you have made and backed it up with evidence that looks at the whole picture compared to your cherry-picking.

Maybe you should quit while you are behind?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
^ I think it's clear we have a troll. Don't even bother answering.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
OMG (lol). Your claim was that criminals killing innocent people simply does. not. happen. in. Finland. You said this to back up your claim that their is no need for self defense. Your claim was simply wrong. Period. It was a lie.

Finland has the 5th highest gun ownership rate in the world. This was actually news to me because of your anti-gun attitude. Yeah, The U.S. has twice as many guns, but Finland has twice as much as New Zealand, three times as many as Australia, and eight times as many guns as England and Wales.

So yeah, I guess Finland could protect itself from a tyrannical government... because it has top 3 gun ownership of the modern civilized nations.

Oh look, you are plainly lying again.

Crime in Finland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm, you say no street gangs... but I found evidence of several. Even if shootings from them are rare, the fact that several exist and you say none do, make you a liar or ignorant to the facts.

Again, you are flatly lying. Show me ANY evidence that 100% of violent crime in Finland is street brawls and angry drunks fighting each-other. You can't. I have provided evidence of gang shootings in recent years.

Again, criminals in Finland commit violence against innocent people. Period. Your lying doesn't change that.

Transparency doesn't mean crap if a soldier comes to your door and points a gun at you. You are so naive it is funny. Good thing your countrymen have the third highest gun ownership rate of the modern world.

Bull crap. "Good" systems go tyrannical throughout history as often as bad ones. This doesn't negate the fact that you claimed democracy is freedom, and it isn't.

Read a damn book. Seriously. Read Locke, Voltaire, Bacon, Smith, etc... You do NOT know what freedom is, it is just a generic buzzword to you. You are using it completely out of context. Straight democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

That is why the U.S. Constitution bars government from certain actions. It doesn't matter if the majority votes for things that violate rights... if it violates the Constitution, it is a no-go.

In a straight democracy, all it takes for someone to violate rights is the consent of the majority. It is cute that you think mob rule is the most "valued value".

Hey, look who can't read. First of all, you posted two things MAX, and one was ONLY about press freedom. Post one about gun freedom if you are going to single out particular freedoms.

I never said democracy is "no good", I explained to you that it DOES NOT automatically translate to freedom. They are separate concepts. Get some dang reading comprehension.

I don't hate anyone based on their nation of origin. There you go just making things up and lying because you can't stick to the issues.

2014 Index of Economic Freedom

USA #12, Finland #19

Fraser Institute - World Freedom Index

USA #7, Finland #13

Look who is straight up lying again. The Fraser Institute doesn't focus on narrow statistics, it looks at the whole picture, and your country ranks almost twice as bad for freedom than the USA.

This is starting to get embarrassing for you. Not only does Finland have the 3rd highest gun ownership in the modern world, but it has street gangs, less freedom than the United States, and violent criminals hurt innocent people there.

I have literally torn apart every argument you have made and backed it up with evidence that looks at the whole picture compared to your cherry-picking.

Maybe you should quit while you are behind?
Okay I really don't have time for this anymore. I'm not lying about anything.

If you really would know anything about those AMERICAN motorcycle"gangs", you would know that they are very small business and most of them are in the jail anyways. They are not anything like real gangs you have. No shootings nor violent robberies etc fun things you are having

I have never heard of any estonian pimps but prostitution is legal here(not pimping though) so wouldn't be suprised if some shady people wanted to make money out of it.

I have no idea what "The Fraser Institute" is but here you have one study about the freedom of press done by reporters themselves: U.S. drops in state of free press ranking: report - NY Daily News

That economic "freedom" index rating comes from your non existent worker's protection laws, it's called "labor freedom". I'm proud that we lack of that "freedom"

Yes there's many hunters here but you are mad if you think that the governement is enemy here like it seems to be in your country. Did you know that most people want to pay high taxes here?

Here you can read more about violence in America: U.S. has highest rate of violent deaths - NY Daily News It is much more violent than other western nations.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Okay I really don't have time for this anymore. I'm not lying about anything.
You keep making claims that simply are not true... which is what? Telling the truth?

Quote:
If you really would know anything about those AMERICAN motorcycle"gangs"
You mean the INTERNATIONAL motorcycle gangs? Or the completely Finnish one that was mentioned?

Quote:
, you would know that they are very small business and most of them are in the jail anyways. They are not anything like real gangs you have. No shootings nor violent robberies etc fun things you are having
So you are now saying that there are NO gangs in Finland that do shootings or violent robberies in Finland. Another Lie. Did you not read my last post? Where it clearly says that there were recent gang shootings in Finland... that made national news.. yet you somehow missed it?

You apparently didn't read this:

"Street shootings and gang violence are extremely rare. A few cases involving motorcycle gangs have occurred in recent years, attracting national attention."

Quote:
I have never heard of any estonian pimps but prostitution is legal here(not pimping though) so wouldn't be suprised if some shady people wanted to make money out of it.
Hmm, so you admit to not being well informed on gang crime in Finland... yet you make strong claims about it that turn out to be false.....

Quote:
I have no idea what "The Fraser Institute" is
Of course not. Let me educate you.... some more.

The Fraser Institute is a Canadian public policy think tank. Its stated mission is "to measure, study, and communicate the impact of competitive markets and government intervention on the welfare of individuals

Quote:
but here you have one study about the freedom of press done by reporters themselves: U.S. drops in state of free press ranking: report - NY Daily News
Yeah ONE study... in ONE area. The Fraser Institute looks at the complete picture unlike your cherry picking... again, if you get to cherry pick ONE area, then I can cancel it out with gun freedom, which America wins.

Quote:
That economic "freedom" index rating comes from your non existent worker's protection laws, it's called "labor freedom". I'm proud that we lack of that "freedom"
No it doesn't. Show me where that is indicated at all....

The measure of the index that I posted is based on the fundamental right of every human to control his or her own labor and property. In an economically free society, individuals are free to work, produce, consume, and invest in any way they please. In economically free societies, governments allow labor, capital and goods to move freely, and refrain from coercion or constraint of liberty beyond the extent necessary to protect and maintain liberty itself.

It is funny that you brag about being more free, but when I show that you aren't... you brag about being less free.

Quote:
Yes there's many hunters here but you are mad if you think that the governement is enemy here like it seems to be in your country. Did you know that most people want to pay high taxes here?
You. Don't. Get. It.

Most tyrannical governments are born from governments with the support of the people. You are naive if you think governments don't move towards tyranny over time. It has happened countless times in the past.

If you guys want to pay taxes, make them completely voluntary. Until they are completely voluntary, I will regard this statement as false. If people wanted to pay them free of coercion, you wouldn't have taxes, you would have donations.

Logic bro.

Quote:
Here you can read more about violence in America: U.S. has highest rate of violent deaths - NY Daily News It is much more violent than other western nations.

Obvious propaganda proves nothing.

Honduras has an intentional homicide rate of over ten times that of the United States, they have less than a tenth of the guns.

Same with a countless amount of countries.

MOST countries in the world have a lower gun ownership rate than the United States and Finland, but they have way higher homicide rates.

This would lead any SANE person to believe that it is not guns that are the driving factor behind the discrepancy.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I can't help it. I try not to, I really do... but I can't just sit by and watch blatant lies and un-backed statements being posted.

I wish I didn't have to respond but something in me strives to show their fraudulence for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.