U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 AM
 
34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863

Advertisements

Politifact is a reliable source IMO.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ook-post-says/

If this is an acceptable state of affairs OK, if not Is the answer more laws, more guns or some other remedy?

 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Finland
1,401 posts, read 1,182,717 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All parts of all big cities are perfectly safe? I doubt it. No place is a utopia. There is always poverty, which usually correlates with increased crime. Not all of Chicago is super dangerous. It's certain neighborhoods. Same with New York. There are only a few US cities that are all around pretty dangerous and not places you'd ever volunteer to go, but most of those are comparatively low-populated and don't have much going for them anyway.

The US is a large country, another concept foreigners have a hard time understanding. It's large with over 300 million people and strong state governments. There are 50 states. Things here vary across the board. Finland genuinely seems nice, but it is tiny. It's smaller than California. 5.5 million people live there. It has a low population density. There is little diversity amongst the population, which leads to fewer conflicts because like it or not, differences in race and ethnicity have always and for the foreseeable future will lead to conflict. It's different to govern and live in such a small and different country compared to what Americans are used to. Again - many Europeans cannot understand America (like they think they do). But they sure love to judge.

I could go into the reasons behind poverty, racism, and crime in America, but here is not the place. I can, though, say that Finland and the United States have very different pasts, and very different levels of diversity, often because of their vastly different histories.
Please compare statistics of Tokyo to New York. America is surely a violent country: U.S. has highest rate of violent deaths - NY Daily News
 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:57 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
=Majurius;37365727]Please compare statistics of Tokyo to New York. America is surely a violent country: U.S. has highest rate of violent deaths - NY Daily News
And? Tokyo has always had a lower crime rate than New York City. When you can demonstrate that gun control laws have made the difference then you might have a case to make.

New York City has some of the strictest gun control regulations in the country. A hell of a lot of good it has done. The reason is very simple, however. It boils down to something that anti-gun people simply don't seem to "get." That is, criminals don't obey gun-control laws!
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 AM
 
34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

New York City has some of the strictest gun control regulations in the country. A hell of a lot of good it has done. The reason is very simple, however. It boils down to something that anti-gun people simply don't seem to "get." That is, criminals don't obey gun-control laws!
IMO there is another reason, America is inherently a violent culture where far too many people seem to resort to guns to solve their problems,and with 300 million guns in circulation and them being easy to obtain the resultant carnage is an obvious outcome. These stats tend to point out just how much of a problem America has with guns
Do 100,000 people get shot every year in U.S.? Facebook post says yes | PolitiFact
Then theres Americas military that seems to want to rule the world
The mere suggestion of getting rid of guns in America will be met with numerous posts attacking the concept with much derogatory name calling leveled at Liberals and Obama .
Americans like their guns and like to use them.the right to bare arms is even enshrined in their 2nd amendment of their constitution ..IMO there is no solution to the problem it just is what it is
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...gun+in+the+usa

Last edited by jambo101; 11-22-2014 at 04:01 AM..
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,429 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO there is another reason, America is inherently a violent culture where far too many people seem to resort to guns to solve their problems,and with 300 million guns in circulation and them being easy to obtain the resultant carnage is an obvious outcome. These stats tend to point out just how much of a problem America has with guns
Do 100,000 people get shot every year in U.S.? Facebook post says yes | PolitiFact
Inherently violent culture? B.S. Almost every American goes their whole life without ever being threatened with a gun. Most of the people who get shot are involved in criminal activity. Might as well say that criminals have a violent culture, ha ha.

The fact is that over 99% of Americans never worry about, nor become victims of, random violence... especially involving guns.

Quote:
Then theres Americas military that seems to want to rule the world
Which is 100% unrelated to private gun ownership. In fact, if you are accusing the U.S. government for over stepping their bounds, maybe it is a good thing that the populace is armed.



Quote:
The mere suggestion of getting rid of guns in America will be met with numerous posts attacking the concept with much derogatory name calling leveled at Liberals and Obama .
Americans like their guns and like to use them.the right to bare arms is even enshrined in their 2nd amendment of their constitution ..IMO there is no solution to the problem it just is what it is
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...gun+in+the+usa
Weird, because it has been discussed in this thread and every time one of you anti-gun people comments, your argument gets combated with facts, evidence to support them, and calm reasoned logic.

There is no solution, because there is no problem. Private gun ownership is a good thing. My house has guns in it, I have never lived in a house that has not had guns in it. I have participated in plenty of heated arguments, with guns in immediate vicinity... like the same room. I have never been a victim of gun violence.

Am I just EXTREMELY lucky?... or is your claim about America having an extremely violent culture completely wrong?
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 AM
 
34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Inherently violent culture? B.S. Almost every American goes their whole life without ever being threatened with a gun. Most of the people who get shot are involved in criminal activity. Might as well say that criminals have a violent culture, ha ha.

The fact is that over 99% of Americans never worry about, nor become victims of, random violence... especially involving guns.



Which is 100% unrelated to private gun ownership. In fact, if you are accusing the U.S. government for over stepping their bounds, maybe it is a good thing that the populace is armed.





Weird, because it has been discussed in this thread and every time one of you anti-gun people comments, your argument gets combated with facts, evidence to support them, and calm reasoned logic.

There is no solution, because there is no problem. Private gun ownership is a good thing. My house has guns in it, I have never lived in a house that has not had guns in it. I have participated in plenty of heated arguments, with guns in immediate vicinity... like the same room. I have never been a victim of gun violence.

Am I just EXTREMELY lucky?... or is your claim about America having an extremely violent culture completely wrong?

You think the gun stats in the USA arent a problem?
Address the link.
Do 100,000 people get shot every year in U.S.? Facebook post says yes | PolitiFact

Last edited by jambo101; 11-22-2014 at 11:54 AM..
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Finland
1,401 posts, read 1,182,717 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And? Tokyo has always had a lower crime rate than New York City. When you can demonstrate that gun control laws have made the difference then you might have a case to make.

New York City has some of the strictest gun control regulations in the country. A hell of a lot of good it has done. The reason is very simple, however. It boils down to something that anti-gun people simply don't seem to "get." That is, criminals don't obey gun-control laws!
All guns are strickly banned in Japan. No drive by shootings and other fun stuff over there
 
Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
 
13,244 posts, read 17,779,749 times
Reputation: 19908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
All guns are strickly banned in Japan. No drive by shootings and other fun stuff over there
No, they poison them in the subway.
 
Old 11-22-2014, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Finland
1,401 posts, read 1,182,717 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
No, they poison them in the subway.
That happened once? In America like 100 000 people get shot every year
 
Old 11-22-2014, 04:19 PM
 
Location: The REAL WORLD.
21,217 posts, read 5,633,030 times
Reputation: 9404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
All guns are strickly banned in Japan. No drive by shootings and other fun stuff over there
Then move to Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top