Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I hear so many foreigners talk about US Americans' gun obsession, but I just don't see it. Nobody I know owns a gun, nobody I know is ok with hunting, and most support stricter gun regulations.

And I know people from both coasts. I don't even recall seeing any gun stores in person.

Is this old 'Americans love guns' trope outdated, or am I just not interacting with the same crowd of people that the commenters are?

Or is it because of invariable references to guns and gun violence in the media. Just curious!
^ yes, media

its always amusing how people from other countries act like they know so much about America based on what they see on the news.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No, not a joke. I don't know anyone who owns a gun, except for my ex, who grew up in Texas and was in the Navy.

Most people I know are at least a little freaked out by people who own guns. I'm actually getting one this week, for self-defense in case of a break-in, and good god it took a lot of arguing to get my husband to allow it. He absolutely hates guns. And he's not even from SF...born and raised NYC.
a little different from where i live.

where i live, many people own guns they just aren't really vocal about it and don't see it as a big deal.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm sure all the open carry laws contribute to the gun obsession image. Like pictures of mothers packing guns while taking their toddler shopping. Or maybe all the school and other mass shootings which has the effect of increasing gun sales.
Do you even know what it takes to get licenses. It was easier in Germany compared to Texas. Which does not yet have open carry((((

Old 10-20-2014, 07:45 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Absolutely agree. I have read so many British news articles claiming we are "gun crazy!" and "gun obsessed!" in America and stuck in the 1700s. Yeah, ok. I've never even touched a gun. All the while commenters are agreeing, spewing their ignorance and calling Americans names and saying pretty ridiculous, terrible things about all of us. Meanwhile, still haven't touched a gun.

People will attack what they do not understand. That type of freedom isn't allotted in many European countries, they cannot possibly understand it when confronted by it. We suddenly become a nation of gun-crazies who take our guns everywhere, sleep beside them, buy them for all our young daughters, can't imagine life without them - collectively. Foreigners also cannot grasp a country the size of America, where regional differences are often pretty major and where we don't all share the same views and values....
Did you really just drop the George W Bush "They hate us for our freedom" line? Yikes.
Europe has every right to make fun of us for our boneheaded, self destructive love of guns.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:16 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Here in Denver, a very good chunk of the citizens own guns. Almost everybody I know. Nobody looks at it as an obsession or a big deal.

People who are freaked out by people simply owning firearms confuse me... do they think everybody is lusting to murder but don't have the tool? What does that say about them?

Driving around the Denver metro, it is quite common to see RMGO (Rocky Mountain Gun Owners) and NRA stickers on the back of cars. So some people do flaunt it, but an even larger group own them but don't flaunt it because it just seems normal to them. Not a big deal what-so-ever.

I have been in line with people at stores with a gun on their hip, nobody bats an eye.

Owning guns, hunting, shooting for sport, etc... is not an obsession by any stretch.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:28 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Did you really just drop the George W Bush "They hate us for our freedom" line? Yikes.
Europe has every right to make fun of us for our boneheaded, self destructive love of guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjP39MS_GYk

Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I love having the option for self-defense. This is neither boneheaded or self-destructive, in fact, it is in my best interests for self-preservation.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
I find in hilladious all these **** your pants people opposed to your average Joe owning a gun. It's typically the same **** their pants crowd, usually tired, physically, mentally weak weasles that hate the military and law enforcement..translation WEAK PERIOD. No longer own guns personally but this anti- gun obsession by the thoroughly misguided has got my goat..Anyone and I mean anyone that is against law biding citizens purchasing fire arms for personal protection or sport is two points away from being a complete fraud. Grew up in the Peoples Republic of Boulder..so yes I have heard all the TIRED BS. extreme left responses.".weasle responses."

Last edited by Scott5280; 10-27-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 AM

657 posts, read 802,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Here in Denver, a very good chunk of the citizens own guns. Almost everybody I know. Nobody looks at it as an obsession or a big deal.

People who are freaked out by people simply owning firearms confuse me... do they think everybody is lusting to murder but don't have the tool? What does that say about them?

Driving around the Denver metro, it is quite common to see RMGO (Rocky Mountain Gun Owners) and NRA stickers on the back of cars. So some people do flaunt it, but an even larger group own them but don't flaunt it because it just seems normal to them. Not a big deal what-so-ever.

I have been in line with people at stores with a gun on their hip, nobody bats an eye.

Owning guns, hunting, shooting for sport, etc... is not an obsession by any stretch.
That's beyond weird, wtf?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:39 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
That's beyond weird, wtf?
Not in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.