U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM

3,611 posts, read 9,296,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No, not a joke. I don't know anyone who owns a gun, except for my ex, who grew up in Texas and was in the Navy.

Most people I know are at least a little freaked out by people who own guns. I'm actually getting one this week, for self-defense in case of a break-in, and good god it took a lot of arguing to get my husband to allow it. He absolutely hates guns. And he's not even from SF...born and raised NYC.

Hell, I'd estimate a good 1/3 of people I know are vegetarians or vegans. But I think that's more specific to my area.

I live in San Francisco. What area are you from? I'm curious.
You must lead a very sheltered and small life. I only know a few dozen people in the region between Sacramento and San Jose. Only one does not own a gun. Several are vegetarians, but no Vegans that I am aware of. One of my San Francisco friends talked me into buying my first handgun. Prior to that I only owned hunting rifles and a shotgun given to me for High School graduation.

I never saw the need for a handgun for protection and did not understand the voracious appetite for handguns my friends and family had. Now I understand the pleasure of target shooting with a handgun and the skill involved in keeping the holes in a small pattern on the paper. I did not get it before I shot my first, so I am not at all surprised that someone who has never done it cannot fathom the sport.

I am surprised that your circle of friends is so limited, even in SF, that you have not encountered any gun owners. Perhaps they do own guns and just keep it from you in case you are the judgmental type?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM

3,304 posts, read 4,076,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I am out here in the PNW. I dont flaunt mine or anyyhing but it is a big culture out here. Ive even deleted people off my facebook because all they post is gun laws this gun laws that. Youd be surprised how many people have concealed carry out here as well. Its not allowed at work or schools obviously but i know pleanty of co-workers and friends who carry outside of those institutions.
Up here in the Skagit Valley in NW Washington people even open carry their pistols. It's not really a big deal..

Is San Francisco still part of America? Didn't know that..

To the gun haters:
I own guns and I am proud! Keep your fascist nazi laws away from me. My grandmother/great grand parents come from Russia/Belarus/Ukraine where they were not allowed to own guns. Her village in Belarus was systematically wiped out by the Nazis. Everyone was unarmed and defenseless. The nazis forced everyone, including men women and children to dig their own graves before they shot them all dead and buried them. Are you gun hating liberals happy about that? Yeah at least they didn't own guns and shoot somebody!

Old 10-30-2014, 01:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,570,055 times
I think it depends on where you live. I used to live in a fairly rural part of West Michigan, and having a gun was something that happened at a pretty young age. It was just something you'd throw in the back of your truck with your tools. No one really obsessed over their guns, but almost everyone had at least two in the house, a couple of shot guns, some hunting rifles.
Now that I've moved to the city I can only think of a small hand full of people that own a (singular) gun.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM

3,611 posts, read 9,296,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I have been in line with people at stores with a gun on their hip, nobody bats an eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
That's beyond weird, wtf?
Why is it weird? In a place where something is common and part of the culture, how can it be weird?

Professional badminton is weird. A passion for Cricket is weird. A lot of british food fads are weird. At least to my culture. Treating a gun as an inanimate object and not freaking out because it is visible seems very normal to me.

I dont run screaming in terror when someone displays a car (by which thousand die every year) or holds a knife (which is used to rob and stab people daily). I recognize that almost all tools have legitimate uses and are inherently dangerous only when misused or misapplied.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 PM

626 posts, read 577,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Why is it weird? In a place where something is common and part of the culture, how can it be weird?

Professional badminton is weird. A passion for Cricket is weird. A lot of british food fads are weird. At least to my culture. Treating a gun as an inanimate object and not freaking out because it is visible seems very normal to me.

I dont run screaming in terror when someone displays a car (by which thousand die every year) or holds a knife (which is used to rob and stab people daily). I recognize that almost all tools have legitimate uses and are inherently dangerous only when misused or misapplied.
Seems like something urban gangsters would do, but each to their own.

Silly comparison, guns are tools designed to kill and are
Primarily used for that purpose, this is not true for
Cars or knifes.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM

626 posts, read 577,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Up here in the Skagit Valley in NW Washington people even open carry their pistols. It's not really a big deal..

To the gun haters:
I own guns and I am proud! Keep your fascist nazi laws away from me. My grandmother/great grand parents come from Russia/Belarus/Ukraine where they were not allowed to own guns. Her village in Belarus was systematically wiped out by the Nazis. Everyone was unarmed and defenseless. The nazis forced everyone, including men women and children to dig their own graves before they shot them all dead and buried them. Are you gun hating liberals happy about that? Yeah at least they didn't own guns and shoot somebody!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:45 PM

3,304 posts, read 4,076,467 times
Quote:

Cars or knifes.

And yet, more people are killed by cars than by guns..

It's because of a man/woman with a gun looking out for you is why you are alive today and well typing all your anti-gun non-sense..

I bet if a guy with a knife broke into your house and was getting ready to rape your wife and stab you and your wife to death, Zodiac Killer style, you would be only pleading that somebody with a gun would come save your life.

So, you can look at guns as a tool designed to kill, but you can also look at guns as a tool design to protect and to stop a threat.

Let's say that the man with the gun busts in the door to save you and your wife/husband.. The bad guy drops the knife. You, your wife, the bad guy all live and no blood is shed because of the gun. So, in effect, a gun is a Protection device and not a killing device. Whereas if the gun did not exist, you and your wife would be swiss cheese that is after he raped her and murdered her mentally. All this because you thought guns were so evil..

Oh by the way, we don't live in fairlyand where everyone holds hands , sing songs and just has a good ol time dancing around naked around the bonfire. There are bad people out there and yeah they will rape, kill and pillage if you do not defend yourselves against them.

BTW.. Target shooting is helluva fun.. So are cowboy shoots and IPSC and IDPA matches, etc.. Nothing dies in these matches despite all the loads and loads of ammo dumped on the range.. Amazing isn't it?? Therefore, another use for guns is target shooting which is a very competitive sport that even old people and people in wheelchairs can participate in.

Once again, debunking your bogus and ignorant claims.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,055,962 times
Quote:

To the gun haters:
Quote:

And yet, more people are killed by cars than by guns..

It's because of a man/woman with a gun looking out for you is why you are alive today and well typing all your anti-gun non-sense..

I bet if a guy with a knife broke into your house and was getting ready to rape your wife and stab you and your wife to death, Zodiac Killer style, you would be only pleading that somebody with a gun would come save your life.

So, you can look at guns as a tool designed to kill, but you can also look at guns as a tool design to protect and to stop a threat.

Let's say that the man with the gun busts in the door to save you and your wife/husband.. The bad guy drops the knife. You, your wife, the bad guy all live and no blood is shed because of the gun. So, in effect, a gun is a Protection device and not a killing device. Whereas if the gun did not exist, you and your wife would be swiss cheese that is after he raped her and murdered her mentally. All this because you thought guns were so evil..

Oh by the way, we don't live in fairlyand where everyone holds hands , sing songs and just has a good ol time dancing around naked around the bonfire. There are bad people out there and yeah they will rape, kill and pillage if you do not defend yourselves against them.

BTW.. Target shooting is helluva fun.. So are cowboy shoots and IPSC and IDPA matches, etc.. Nothing dies in these matches despite all the loads and loads of ammo dumped on the range.. Amazing isn't it?? Therefore, another use for guns is target shooting which is a very competitive sport that even old people and people in wheelchairs can participate in.

Once again, debunking your bogus and ignorant claims.
To put it kindly, you're really not very good at talking about this issue...

Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM

13,336 posts, read 17,844,545 times
Quote:

Cars or knifes.
This is your opinion based on your environment, your upbringing, your exposure to media and other sources of information. This does not mean others are not entitled to their point of view, does it?

Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,847,288 times
I'm a gun owner and enthusiast.

If all of the sick/crazy/weirdos of the world have access to guns, black market or not, I need access too.

If someone breaks into my house, I need to be able to defend my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.