U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,429 times
Reputation: 1858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I support the right of reasonable people to own reasonable guns. No person not in police or millitary needs a semi automatic rifle. I also think it's responsible to chose not to own a gun, if you do to keep them securely locked away. Too many people have been killed because a loaded gun was nearby during a heated argument. In my TV market there are probably 5 husband / wife murder suicides each year.
Wrong. Semi-automatic rifles are very reasonable for private citizens to own. It doesn't change just because you are a scared of them.

If your house gets broken into by multiple intruders, you may need to fire your weapon multiple times without having to stop and chamber another cartridge. In that situation, the seconds that you are saved by having a semi-automatic weapon can save your life.

 
Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Wrong. Semi-automatic rifles are very reasonable for private citizens to own. It doesn't change just because you are a scared of them.

If your house gets broken into by multiple intruders, you may need to fire your weapon multiple times without having to stop and chamber another cartridge. In that situation, the seconds that you are saved by having a semi-automatic weapon can save your life.
I'm all about gun rights and protect my home but you might as well prepare for a lightning strike too.
 
Old 11-04-2014, 10:10 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,429 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm all about gun rights and protect my home but you might as well prepare for a lightning strike too.
You can't defend yourself from lightning if it strikes you, you can defend yourself from humans intending to do you harm, and people use guns defensively more often than people get struck by lightning.

Very poor analogy.
 
Old 11-04-2014, 10:17 PM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,674,850 times
Reputation: 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
You can't defend yourself from lightning if it strikes you, you can defend yourself from humans intending to do you harm, and people use guns defensively more often than people get struck by lightning.

Very poor analogy.
Actually, it was more of a comparison of likelihood. You're probably just as likely, if not more likely, to get struck by lightning than you will have multiple armed intruders break into your home. Unless you're fighting the mafia, government, or a gang, none of which you should be doing in the first place, you likely won't have a group of armed intruders requiring a gun with multiple rounds to defend yourself.
 
Old 11-04-2014, 10:21 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,941,429 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Actually, it was more of a comparison of likelihood. You're probably just as likely, if not more likely, to get struck by lightning than you will have multiple armed intruders break into your home. Unless you're fighting the mafia, government, or a gang, none of which you should be doing in the first place, you likely won't have a group of armed intruders requiring a gun with multiple rounds to defend yourself.
Show me any source that says you are more likely to be struck by lightening than have multiple intruders break into your home.

Home invasions are often more than on intruder..
 
Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
3,293 posts, read 4,055,882 times
Reputation: 4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Show me any source that says you are more likely to be struck by lightening than have multiple intruders break into your home.

Home invasions are often more than on intruder..
If lightning is this dangerous, I think we should implement an Assault Lightning Ban, that should put and end to lightning strike attacks.

 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:09 AM
 
13,246 posts, read 17,779,749 times
Reputation: 19908
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Actually, it was more of a comparison of likelihood. You're probably just as likely, if not more likely, to get struck by lightning than you will have multiple armed intruders break into your home. Unless you're fighting the mafia, government, or a gang, none of which you should be doing in the first place, you likely won't have a group of armed intruders requiring a gun with multiple rounds to defend yourself.
Please show me an occasional shooter trained as he/she may be who will be an accurate shot in a stress situation. BTW - google SASS:>)
 
Old 11-06-2014, 01:24 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
=Threestep;37153824]Please show me an occasional shooter trained as he/she may be who will be an accurate shot in a stress situation. BTW - google SASS:>)
As it is, the armed citizen who has practiced and/or grown up with guns is less likely to make a mistake as in killing the wrong person than is a policeman. For one thing, the former is usually aware of what the situation is as is a law enforcement officer who has just arrived on the scene. Regardless, cop or citizen is under intense stress and scared for their lives and may not always shoot accurately when some scumbag is shooting back at them.

It is one thing to shoot at a target, it is another when you are getting shot back at, and anyone is going to be scared in such a situation.

Many of us who live in the South and rural Midwest and West have grown up with a familiarity with guns and shooting and have actually more real time experience with firearms than many urban area cops, especially in the northeast and/or West coast have.

Bottom line is, do you think that all police officers naturally have more ability than the average citizen who is familiar with his/her weapon just because they wear a badge? They are human too.

Now, if I misunderstood your point, please tell me. I have a concealed carry license and had to undergo the same general training -- and understand the rules governing the use of deadly force in self-defense -- as did a law enforcement officer.

On a related tangent, as another poster or several brought up, if one is in a situation where they are unarmed and helpless, they will probably be praying like hell someone else has a gun to save them. There are quite a few instances of mass killings in schools and restaurants, etc...and the one noteable thing is that they always occur in "gun free" zones. Simple reason is that law-abiding citizens obey the law, criminals intent on murder or mayhem, do not.

If one had been in the infamous mass-killing in, say, Killeen, Texas, at the Luby's cafeteria, do you think they would have preferred a gun-control law...or someone with a gun?

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-06-2014 at 02:07 AM..
 
Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Reputation: 10927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I hear so many foreigners talk about US Americans' gun obsession, but I just don't see it. Nobody I know owns a gun, nobody I know is ok with hunting, and most support stricter gun regulations.

And I know people from both coasts. I don't even recall seeing any gun stores in person.

Is this old 'Americans love guns' trope outdated, or am I just not interacting with the same crowd of people that the commenters are?

Or is it because of invariable references to guns and gun violence in the media. Just curious!

Seeing you are from San Francisco I understand why you see the country the way you do. I have no doubt you don't see guns or the hunting culture. The liberal political environment of SF likely discourages people from being interested in hunting or shooting from an early age. Animal rights groups and anti gun groups are very influencial there. Most of the country is very different from the west coast, especially SF. I live in the south and everyone I know owns guns. I also used to live in the Midwest, and everyone I knew there owned guns. Most men hunt and even some women hunt. I love hunting as well and I hunt small game, deer and Turkey. I have hunted since I was a kid. Gun stores??? They are common, not hard to find one. Gun ownership is a freedom granted us by our constitution, and I have always believed that if we don't exercise our rights then we may lose them. It is a good thing to own a gun and know how to use it. If an intruder enters your home the gun may save your life. Many non hunters own firearms for this reason, or just for the fun of shooting. If you took a trip to Texas, or even the blue state of Wisconsin then you would see what I am talking about. I think when people from overseas label us "gun nuts" they also don't understand our culture. Most gun owners are very calm controlled people. They are law abiding people and to them a gun is just another tool. I don't know any "gun nuts", just lots of gun owners.
 
Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
=danielj72;37167512] I think when people from overseas label us "gun nuts" they also don't understand our culture. Most gun owners are very calm controlled people. They are law abiding people and to them a gun is just another tool. I don't know any "gun nuts", just lots of gun owners.
You touched upon a certain good point, Daniel. Many of the anti-gun people constantly bring up the gun-control laws in England and their lower crime rate, as if it is proof that "gun-control" works.

Not withstanding that since the total ban on guns in England has resulted in an absolutely sky-rocketing rate of violent crime against people and property -- using the history of the laws is typical of the half-truths and skewed stats used by the "Brady bunch" and the other anti-second amendment people.

To get to the root of the matter, what is glossed over is that England always had a lower murder and violent crime rate than did the United States. So the only way a fair comparison can be made is to examine if the gun-control laws in that country actually resulted in a lower rate of the same. Blunt fact, it didn't. Matter of fact, as said above, it increased in direct co-relation to every incremental gun-control law passed. Today, London, for example, is a much more dangerous place than is New York City.

Hell, no surprise. The only people who obey gun-control laws are those who obey the law. The violent criminal element and/or sociopathic killer pays no attention whatsoever. That is just common-sense (which many anti-gun people seemingly don't possess.

As an after thought? If I ever bought a convenience store, I would put up a sign saying along the lines of "Concealed Handgun Licensed Owners Welcomed". I wonder if my place would be more likely to be robbed as compared to the one down the street that forbad the possession of handguns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top