Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 AM

24 posts, read 33,561 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is a shared account between myself, Z28, and my husband, Sn95. We will sign our posts and replies so you know who is speaking. We are a younger (under 30) couple looking to move to another state that meets our needs a little better then where we are currently. We currently live in Southern Middle Tennessee. We have been considering these states, but will entertain the idea of anything suggested. (sorry in advance for length)

Montana
Utah
Colorado
Washington State
Oregon
Alaska

And here is a list of what we are looking for in a home state:

~ Land - We currently have 1 acre and would like to increase that or at least keep it the same. More would be nice as we would like livestock and to farm/homestead.

~ A climate that is less humid/hot then our current one - I hate the humidity and heat and would like to see snow more then once every 2 years. We do not want freezing cold,wet winters but would like at least a difference between fall/winter/spring and not 112 degree summers.

~ We would like to be around an hour outside of a major metropolitan area for commutes to work/ shopping and entertainment - We definitely do not want to live in a city or in the suburbs, but we are currently an hour from Nashville and 40 minutes from Huntsville,Al. We like the option of weekend trips to a large city.

~ Employment - My husband is currently employed at a R&D company out of Huntsville as a technician and would like to stay in that field or engineering/welding/fabrication type jobs. He would like a tech/engineering heavy state/town. I would like to open a pet store or pet daycare/grooming salon type thing and would do better near a large pet friendly city. A state with lots of dog parks would be a huge plus.

~ View/Landscape - We are used to the rolling hills of Tennessee and would prefer not to move to an area that is all flat or desert. Mountains would be nice.

Those are the most important things. Would love any and all suggestions for states/cities/areas! Thanks!

~Z28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM

92,402 posts, read 122,662,773 times
There are many states that could fit, but is there anything else that you are looking for in an area?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM

We would want good reliable high speed internet. And we wouldn't want to live in an area that is expensive. Things in Tennessee are relatively cheap. We do not go to clubs/bars/etc. so nightlife is not an issue. We are wanting children so somewhere that is good for children to grow up in. No states with gun bans/laws. We hunt and are handgun enthusiasts. I am sure there are other things but we are somewhat flexible.

~Z28

Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,868,748 times
Very satisfied with CO which meets much of your criteria. Born here, lived in UT (my second favorite), CA, MT, and rural CO (Montrose). I've acclimated to Colorado Springs after living in Denver for 35 years. Affordable, medium-sized city with plenty to do in town to meet my interests. Located in the center of the state, there is abundance of recreational opportunities in the surrounding areas. Hiking, camping, skiing if that's your thing (Denver is better located for that), fishing for rainbow in the mountains and bass on the plains. If you want land, it's still relatively affordable in the south-central part of the state. I'm happy here. Never give much though to leaving unless it would be outside the US. Although I love visiting ocean side cities, I've never lived on the water, so nothing to miss!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Colorado is one of the main ones we are focusing on. What city would you recommend? How are the winters? What is the area like as far as farming/ranching? Cattle or sheep and horses?

~Z28

Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Hello all, this is the other half of this account.

In addition to the above I would like the city we move to to have a pretty good car culture with car shows, cruise-ins, racing, and off-road racing and trails to ride. I also would like to be in an area with good hunting and fishing without having to travel far.

From the research we have done so far Colorado, especially Denver and Colorado Springs seem to fit what we are looking for pretty good. I haven't been able to find much on the business in each city. How do those two compare to Huntsville, AL as far as engineering and technology companies? The company I currently work for is a R&D company that has developed a few products for the military and we are doing some commercial products now. What we specialize is in energy and thermal management for efficiency. So what companies in Denver and Colorado Springs that would be comparable to where I currently work?

I know there is a lot more that we are missing as far as what we are looking for in a place to move. But we are going to spend a long time planning to work out all the little details.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

SN95

Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions? Or answers to our unanswered questions?

~Z28

Old 11-23-2014, 01:23 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,405,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn95&z28 View Post
Colorado is one of the main ones we are focusing on. What city would you recommend? How are the winters? What is the area like as far as farming/ranching? Cattle or sheep and horses?

~Z28
Colorado is rapidly becoming Anti Gun, which appears to be in your criteria. Magpul is leaving the state due to it, they've passed their own "Universal" background check system and now have a magazine limit in effect. The state's Sherrifs association is suing the state over it. Pretty soon it will be CA. Don't forget CO has a large amount of *******s storming in from CA.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Recently we have also been looking into Plymouth, Indiana as well as Bozeman, Montana. However Colorado seems to fit a little better. It will be a couple years before we move. In those years do you predict more antigun legislature/californication or a reversal? Just an "in your opinion" question. In this picture, we like the areas that are unlit

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...HSr8GbXFTg51xQ

~Z28

Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Can you tell me more about Nashville, Indiana? I looked it up and couldn't find a whole lot of info. The pictures however look very nice and pretty landscapes.

~Z28
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.