U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:22 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,994,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Detroit was already discussed and out of the ones you mentioned, Birmingham, Newark, Richmond and Miami Gardens are predominately Black. Miami Gardens is essentially a new suburban city that is a consolidation of multiple communities.
Aren't you saying the same thing that he is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 11:23 AM

56,516 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Because there are so many cities that fit that definition I am more referring to cities with a core population of greater than one million within the city limits. Though technically all the cities you've mentioned are large metropolitan areas by anyone's definition.
Detroit is the only city ever in the US with at least 1 million and that is predominately Black, which was the case from about the mid 70's to about the mid/late 90's. It was 45% Black in 1970 and I believe it dipped under 1 million by the 2000 census.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Aren't you saying the same thing that he is?
No, I'm talking about predominately Black versus cities where Black people are the biggest group(in plurality). Meaning, cities that are slightly over 50% Black and up.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 AM

I can see that this is going South already, so I'll repeat. The cities that have been mentioned, are the small to large mid-sized cities I was initially referring to. Having said that, would you prefer, either as a Black person living in those cities or as someone that just happens to live in a Black neighborhood, to live in a small to large mid-sized city that is predominately Black, or a large city that is not predominately Black, but whose Black population is either larger than the cities mentioned, or larger than the cities mentioned.

For example, Blacks are 25% of the total population of New York, and 9% of the total population of LA. Actually the LA numbers are getting really close to what they were when these statistics were first observed in the forties, which is an entirely different thread. Would you prefer to live in a NY or LA, because of an appreciation for the Black culture there in an city of that stature, or to live in a smaller city where Blacks numbers may be smaller, but the experiences unique (seeing that they are the majority).

We know the facts but I am asking about personal preferences. Myself personally, I would not want to live in Detroit. Not because it is 82% Black, but because of the economic problems the city is facing. I'm not sure if I would want to live in Atlanta because I am not too fond of the South; Virginia is about as far South as I am willing to go (and am surprised that I have even lived this far away).

There is a trend away from our largest cities to smaller cities, and not just because they are affordable. The largest cities in this county have always been segregated, and conditions were always hostile to Blacks and African-Americans.

Last edited by goofy328; 10-19-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Detroit is the only city ever in the US with at least 1 million and that is predominately Black, which was the case from about the mid 70's to about the mid/late 90's. It was 45% Black in 1970 and I believe it dipped under 1 million by the 2000 census.
It is amazing that the city is still over 80% Black.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,119,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HessenGmB View Post
Neither - too much bifurcation
Where would you live then? You have to live in one
or the other.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I can see that this is going South already, so I'll repeat. The cities that have been mentioned, are the small to large mid-sized cities I was initially referring to. Having said that, would you prefer, either as a Black person living in those cities or as someone that just happens to live in a Black neighborhood, to live in a small to large mid-sized city that is predominately Black, or a large city that is not predominately Black, but whose Black population is either larger than the cities mentioned, or larger than the cities mentioned.

For example, Blacks are 25% of the total population of New York, and 9% of the total population of LA. Actually the LA numbers are getting really close to what they were when these statistics were first observed in the forties, which is an entirely different thread. Would you prefer to live in a NY or LA, because of an appreciation for the Black culture there in an city of that stature, or to live in a smaller city where Blacks numbers may be smaller, but the experiences unique (seeing that they are the majority).

We know the facts but I am asking about personal preferences. Myself personally, I would not want to live in Detroit. Not because it is 82% Black, but because of the economic problems the city is facing. I'm not sure if I would want to live in Atlanta because I am not too fond of the South; Virginia is about as far South as I am willing to go (and am surprised that I have even lived this far away).

There is a trend away from our largest cities to smaller cities, and not just because they are affordable. The largest cities in this county have always been segregated, and conditions were always hostile to Blacks and African-Americans.
It depends, as you may be able to have the best of both worlds in NYC or LA, as you may be able to live in SE Queens in NYC or places like Baldwin Hills, Ladera Heights or Windsor Hills-View Park in LA. So, you may be able to live in a nice predominately Black area within those cities that give you access to what they have to offer. Even with Detroit, you have the area of the city with Sherwood Forest, the University District and Palmer Woods, among a couple of other neighborhoods in the northern portion of the city around Woodward. So, even Detroit has nicer areas that may be an option.

This doesn't get into suburbs in these areas that could fit as well.

For the smaller cities, they may have a similar area or areas, but it may be a matter of less options in general due to size.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:45 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
You forgot about Detroit, Birmingham, Miami Gardens, Cleveland, Newark, Richmond, Cincinnati, Philadelphia
7 central cities and a suburb? Miami Gardens doesn't belong on that list.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
It depends, as you may be able to have the best of both worlds in NYC or LA, as you may be able to live in SE Queens in NYC or places like Baldwin Hills, Ladera Heights or Windsor Hills-View Park in LA. So, you may be able to live in a nice predominately Black area within those cities that give you access to what they have to offer. Even with Detroit, you have the area of the city with Sherwood Forest, the University District and Palmer Woods, among a couple of other neighborhoods in the northern portion of the city around Woodward. So, even Detroit has nicer areas that may be an option.

This doesn't get into suburbs in these areas that could fit as well.

For the smaller cities, they may have a similar area or areas, but it may be a matter of less options in general due to size.
Good points.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:48 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
First off I think you need to leave LA out of the conversation when talking about cities or metro areas with large numbers of blacks. NYC has the largest black population by metro area, followed by Atlanta, Chicago, DC, Philly, Miami, Houston, Dallas, and then LA. LA does, however have a large wealthy black community. However, if your talking about total numbers and the large mass, I would be talking about NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or