U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:54 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
7 central cities and a suburb? Miami Gardens doesn't belong on that list.
You COULD argue that Newark isn't really a central city in the grand scheme of things, but I see your point. I think he chose Miami Gardens since Miami is so heavily white Latino (Cuban)--in this case, the "suburb" beats the central city in black population, not completely uncommon. Newark could be considered a suburb of NYC, if you want to get into semantics/debate. For what it's worth, Miami Gardens would be it's own city if outside the Miami metro or any metro--I can see the argument for considering it for black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 AM

231 posts, read 295,547 times
Is it bad if I say neither? It doesn't really matter to me much anyway. I live in NYC where there is tons of black people but to be frank I wouldn't care either which way as long as they are not a majority or bigger/more influential than my demographic.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:39 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,994,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
Is it bad if I say neither? It doesn't really matter to me much anyway. I live in NYC where there is tons of black people but to be frank I wouldn't care either which way as long as they are not a majority or bigger/more influential than my demographic.
no its not bad at all. This is how I feel as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:27 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,945,820 times
Atlanta is a large metro with a large percentage black population(around 32-33%). Even the central city is around 51% black or so. That's why it stands toe to toe with NYC, Chicago, and D.C. for cultural center for blacks.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta is a large metro with a large percentage black population(around 32-33%). Even the central city is around 51% black or so. That's why it stands toe to toe with NYC, Chicago, and D.C. for cultural center for blacks.
That actually works in our favor. Even in NYC, for the entire metro we're looking at 16%.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:34 PM

55 posts, read 35,968 times
I live in the Minneapolis area and find that Too many of the blacks here are not doing well.

I hear that many came here in the 80's for the generous welfare benefits and people are still moving here in 2016 for that reason.

I was raised in a huge Midwestern city but have had enough of the big urban problems hearing about crime, gang shootings, and seeing people outside trying to con you or beg for your money.

With black professionals it is hard for us to find the balance of a nice urban city that has enough middle class blacks to feel comfortable along with great jobs.

White people can go to live anywhere in the US and they can always feel comfortable in terms of race.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 PM

56,516 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That actually works in our favor. Even in NYC, for the entire metro we're looking at 16%.
It be a matter of who you include, but this says 18% for the NYC metro: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population

Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
I live in the Minneapolis area and find that Too many of the blacks here are not doing well.

I hear that many came here in the 80's for the generous welfare benefits and people are still moving here in 2016 for that reason.

I was raised in a huge Midwestern city but have had enough of the big urban problems hearing about crime, gang shootings, and seeing people outside trying to con you or beg for your money.

With black professionals it is hard for us to find the balance of a nice urban city that has enough middle class blacks to feel comfortable along with great jobs.

White people can go to live anywhere in the US and they can always feel comfortable in terms of race.
A lot of it in the Twin Cities has to do with being a refugee resettlement hub and in turn, many of the Black residents are refugees from African nations.

I believe that you can find some middle class Black people in Hopkins, parts of the Brooklyns(Park and Center), parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul and scattered across other suburbs.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It be a matter of who you include, but this says 18% for the NYC metro: BlackDemographics.com | Black City Population
When any one city can actually claim a larger number of Blacks than NYC (as opposed to a larger percentage, which is the case for a lot of cities) things will get interesting. Even with all of the gentrification, there are still more Blacks in NYC than any other city.

It would take a majority Black population in a city of more than 3 million residents for that to occur. Not the metro. Not the MSA, or CSA. But the actual city. Chicago came close in the eighties. It isn't likely to happen, because cities that are experiencing a lot of growth tend to benefit from increased amounts of other groups proportionate to whatever increase in the Black population that may occur, if any at all.

Not to take anything away from cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, or DC, but having a metro of 5 million with a majority minority Black population of 30% and NYC's Black population of 18% are still two different things because you still have a higher number of Blacks in NYC, in greater concentration, greater density considering this is over NYC's 5 county city, and Atlanta's 35 county metro.

Take for example where I'm at. You don't really have "Black neighborhoods" in the traditional sense. Instead, it is a metro of around 10 counties. 31% Black population is great. But that is 31% of 1.7 million people, whereas NYC offers 1.5, in half the counties, with the total Black population over a smaller footprint.

TL;DR a lot of cities that were known for being Black, and having a majority Black population evolved into encompassing huge metros of 10, 15, 30 counties or more where Blacks were the majority minority population within that metro. With the majority Black population within the cities dipping below 50% in the 2000s. Meanwhile cities like NYC and LA, as big as they are, never had a majority Black population but still manage to have greater raw numbers of Blacks.

Last edited by goofy328; 05-31-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
When any one city can actually claim a larger number of Blacks than NYC (as opposed to a larger percentage, which is the case for a lot of cities) things will get interesting. Even with all of the gentrification, there are still more Blacks in NYC than any other city.

It would take a majority Black population in a city of more than 3 million residents for that to occur. Not the metro. Not the MSA, or CSA. But the actual city. Chicago came close in the eighties. It isn't likely to happen, because cities that are experiencing a lot of growth tend to benefit from increased amounts of other groups proportionate to whatever increase in the Black population that may occur, if any at all.
Good point and this doesn't even get into the pockets of highly/mostly Black places in outside of NYC in that metro like Newark, Mount Vernon, the Oranges in NJ, south central Nassau County, SE Central Suffolk County, Spring Valley/Hillcrest and parts of the Nyacks in Rockland County, among others. That metro figure for the NYC metro means that about 1.2-1.3 million of the Black metro residents live outside of NYC. That seems to get overlooked in regards to the NYC metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or