U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,994,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point and this doesn't even get into the pockets of highly/mostly Black places in outside of NYC in that metro like Newark, Mount Vernon, the Oranges in NJ, south central Nassau County, SE Central Suffolk County, Spring Valley/Hillcrest and parts of the Nyacks in Rockland County, among others. That metro figure for the NYC metro means that about 1.2-1.3 million of the Black metro residents live outside of NYC. That seems to get overlooked in regards to the NYC metro.
Which is probably the reality of what things are in Atlanta. When you have 5 million in the metro, and only 500,000 in the city, out of that difference with 30% in the metro there are obviously millions in the suburbs. That is the only real similarity there. No different than DC with areas like Silver Springs, Prince Georges County, etc.

These other areas, outside of those born there, are just absorbing people that did not really want to stay in NYC. Or Cleveland, or Detroit, or Chicago or Cincinnati, etc. For whatever reasons. They didn't have that much invested in those cities, probably did not own any businesses or property there and were in a good position to leave when the opportunity presented itself. It doesn't take anything away from the New South or the Sunbelt, but that is what appears to be the case. It might be easier to assimilate into whatever Black scene exists where you're going than it is to try to take what you had back home to your new destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
When any one city can actually claim a larger number of Blacks than NYC (as opposed to a larger percentage, which is the case for a lot of cities) things will get interesting. Even with all of the gentrification, there are still more Blacks in NYC than any other city.

It would take a majority Black population in a city of more than 3 million residents for that to occur. Not the metro. Not the MSA, or CSA. But the actual city. Chicago came close in the eighties. It isn't likely to happen, because cities that are experiencing a lot of growth tend to benefit from increased amounts of other groups proportionate to whatever increase in the Black population that may occur, if any at all.

Not to take anything away from cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, or DC, but having a metro of 5 million with a majority minority Black population of 30% and NYC's Black population of 18% are still two different things because you still have a higher number of Blacks in NYC, in greater concentration, greater density considering this is over NYC's 5 county city, and Atlanta's 35 county metro.

Take for example where I'm at. You don't really have "Black neighborhoods" in the traditional sense. Instead, it is a metro of around 10 counties. 31% Black population is great. But that is 31% of 1.7 million people, whereas NYC offers 1.5, in half the counties, with the total Black population over a smaller footprint.

TL;DR a lot of cities that were known for being Black, and having a majority Black population evolved into encompassing huge metros of 10, 15, 30 counties or more where Blacks were the majority minority population within that metro. With the majority Black population within the cities dipping below 50% in the 2000s. Meanwhile cities like NYC and LA, as big as they are, never had a majority Black population but still manage to have greater raw numbers of Blacks.

I'm sorry but DC and most definitely Atlanta are WAY more "black" than NY even with its size. Atlanta's entire metro is 32 percent black, just at about 2 million. That's 1 in 3 people you run into in metro Atlanta being black. Which is way more obvious of a black presence than even the 18% scattered around NYC's metro which is way larger geographically. Its noticeable that NY has many blacks but it does not stand out compared to DC or Atlanta.

DC having a 6 million metro with about 1.5 million blacks is still way more noticeable than having 3 million blacks in a 20 million metro like NYC. I would say at least 1 million of us in the DMV area live in either PG County or the District, so it doesn't take much to find blacks.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM

6,371 posts, read 5,994,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm sorry but DC and most definitely Atlanta are WAY more "black" than NY even with its size. Atlanta's entire metro is 32 percent black, just at about 2 million. That's 1 in 3 people you run into in metro Atlanta being black. Which is way more obvious of a black presence than even the 18% scattered around NYC's metro which is way larger geographically. Its noticeable that NY has many blacks but it does not stand out compared to DC or Atlanta.

DC having a 6 million metro with about 1.5 million blacks is still way more noticeable than having 3 million blacks in a 20 million metro like NYC. I would say at least 1 million of us in the DMV area live in either PG County or the District, so it doesn't take much to find blacks.
The size of these metros are similar. You're also including Connecticut and Pennsylvania in that count. NYC metro is actually 25 counties, when you include Connecticut and Pennsylvania, but the size of the counties included is what brings it to the same size as metro DC. DC's metro is 24 counties. Atlanta is 35 counties but those counties are considerably smaller, and the total land size is smaller. DC is the city with the largest metro, followed by NYC, and then followed by Atlanta.

I wasn't suggesting that DC and Atlanta are less Black than NYC. What I was getting at, is that with the population densities of NYC's neighborhoods it is a different experience than what you'll get in DC and Atlanta because it results in more Blacks over a smaller footprint. Blacks are only dispersed in NYC when you are taking the neighborhoods where Blacks are not the primary group into account, which is the majority of the city, as it would be, at 18%. Blacks are everywhere in DC, in Virginia, in Maryland, a few even come up from West Virginia. And that is a very good thing. But there isn't anything like what Harlem used to represent 100 years ago, with hundreds of thousands of Blacks in a few square miles. I doubt that will happen again. As I mentioned before, Chicago came close, particularly with their housing projects, but I don't think we're going to see that concentration of Blacks in a small footprint again.

Also I was pointing out that a lot of cities that were 70% Black in the urban core aren't any longer because of Blacks moving to suburbs like PG County. Which is also an entirely different type of experience than that you'd have in the city. One is no better than the other.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM

56,516 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
The size of these metros are similar. You're also including Connecticut and Pennsylvania in that count. NYC metro is actually 25 counties, when you include Connecticut and Pennsylvania, but the size of the counties included is what brings it to the same size as metro DC. DC's metro is 24 counties. Atlanta is 35 counties but those counties are considerably smaller, and the total land size is smaller. DC is the city with the largest metro, followed by NYC, and then followed by Atlanta.

I wasn't suggesting that DC and Atlanta are less Black than NYC. What I was getting at, is that with the population densities of NYC's neighborhoods it is a different experience than what you'll get in DC and Atlanta because it results in more Blacks over a smaller footprint. Blacks are only dispersed in NYC when you are taking the neighborhoods where Blacks are not the primary group into account, which is the majority of the city, as it would be, at 18%. Blacks are everywhere in DC, in Virginia, in Maryland, a few even come up from West Virginia. And that is a very good thing. But there isn't anything like what Harlem used to represent 100 years ago, with hundreds of thousands of Blacks in a few square miles. I doubt that will happen again. As I mentioned before, Chicago came close, particularly with their housing projects, but I don't think we're going to see that concentration of Blacks in a small footprint again.

Also I was pointing out that a lot of cities that were 70% Black in the urban core aren't any longer because of Blacks moving to suburbs like PG County. Which is also an entirely different type of experience than that you'd have in the city. One is no better than the other.
The Bedford-Stuyvesant/Crown Heights/Brownsville/Flatbush(inc. East Flatbush)/Canarsie/East New York conglomerate in Central and Eastern Brooklyn may be the closest thing in a truly urban environment and that is even changing. Those areas range from 51-91% Black. So, there are about 755,000 people between those communities and is probably about 70-75% Black between all of them.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 01:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Quote:

I get where your coming from, but the vast majority of blacks in DMV live in either DC or Prince George's. There are blacks outside those two jurisdictions but at least 1 million are in DC/PG alone. Obviously from a density/urbanity standpoint, Brooklyn or Harlem have more intense pockets of blacks in high numbers. PG is more sprawled out as its a large county. At least historically however, the District proper (for its size) was a dense urban black city, with neighborhoods like LeDroit Park, Shaw, Petworth etc. A tiny footprint compared to Manhattan or Brooklyn I know, but the District and PG connect pretty seamlessly and all along that stretch is majority black housing. To many non-blacks, this is glaring as you move eastward through the DC metro area. If one rode through from Bed-Stuy, Flatbush, or Brownsville and went over into adjacent parts of Queens it might not seem "as" overwhelmingly black as you transition.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:56 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,593,124 times
Quote:
Would you rather live in a city with a large Black population, like NY or LA, or a smaller city where a large percentage of the population is Black? How does the later influence your experiences in a city that would otherwise go largely unrecognized?
I don't care about skin colour! I care more about character and intelligence more than anything. The percentage of people with a black skin tone is not what's important to me, rather if I feel safe and comfortable. Oh well, I am usually pretty remarkable in large cities where large groups of non-White communities live. I am pretty remarkable as tall (6'5'), pale- skinned White man who has red hair and blue-green eyes, but I have never had bad encounters with Black folks.

Last edited by saxonwold; 06-02-2016 at 05:13 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 AM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post

I hear that many came here in the 80's for the generous welfare benefits and people are still moving here in 2016 for that reason.

Is that a fact or is that your opinion, or just something you heard somebody else say, that blacks were moving to Minnesota for the welfare benefits? The state of Minnesota offers welfare instead of jobs to entice black people to move to Minnesota? That sounds just really messed up and kinda racist, in a way. If somebody can't afford to live without govt assistance, how could they afford to move from say Atlanta or Chicago to Minnesota? If I lived in MN, I wouldn't appreciate anybody moving there for better welfare benefits. I think I would resent because I feel like the taxpayers are being taken for a fool and a chump.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
I agree. Smaller cities are okay as long as the job opportunities are there. I think that in the case of a city like Detroit the fact that it is still a large city keeps a lot of people there, even though the job opportunities are all but non-existent for most. That was the rare example of a large city with a predominately Black population that existed in the Midwest.
That's an old narrative on Detroit. The metropolitan area and the city are coming back strong in terms of employment opportunities.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Quote:
Would you rather live in a city with a large Black population, like NY or LA, or a smaller city where a large percentage of the population is Black? How does the later influence your experiences in a city that would otherwise go largely unrecognized?
Smaller cities with large black populations would be places like,

Albany, Georgia
Savannah, Georgia
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Benton Harbor, Michigan
Jackson, Mississippi
Shreveport, Louisiana
Montgomery, Alabama
Orangeburg, South Carolina
Valdosta, Georgia
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

The only ones of those cities I would consider to live in would be Baton Rouge, Shreveport and maybe Jackson.

I would prefer a million plus metro area though. If I was gonna live in Orangeburg, Pine Bluff, Valdosta, Harrisburg, or Benton Harbor, I think I'd just soon get a place out in the country.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:59 PM

56,516 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Smaller cities with large black populations would be places like,

Albany, Georgia
Savannah, Georgia
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Benton Harbor, Michigan
Jackson, Mississippi
Shreveport, Louisiana
Montgomery, Alabama
Orangeburg, South Carolina
Valdosta, Georgia
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

The only ones of those cities I would consider to live in would be Baton Rouge, Shreveport and maybe Jackson.

I would prefer a million plus metro area though. If I was gonna live in Orangeburg, Pine Bluff, Valdosta, Harrisburg, or Benton Harbor, I think I'd just soon get a place out in the country.
What about places like Memphis TN and Birmingham AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or