U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,218,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That image of Detroit does not match the reality today. There are plenty of jobs today in the metro area.
This is purely anecdotal, but I have a Bachelor's Degree with a double major in Accounting and HR (hardly useless majors). I have several years of experience ranging from engineering support to procurement.

While I was in Detroit (I left back in October of last year), the only available jobs I could find were long-term contract roles (no chance of getting hired on permanently) and the employers still had ridiculous expectations for those positions (they wanted to pay below market rate, like $20/hr, they didn't want to train, they would take months to make a decision, etc.). It was also still common to be competing with tens of hundreds of other applicants for these same roles. And these were just for the jobs that called me back (most of them did not). Also, the Big 3 automakers and Tier 1 Suppliers were all on indefinite hiring freezes for non-Engineering roles (after auto sales peaked in 2016, very few if any Accounting/HR/Purchasing/Marketing, etc. job openings were posted at Ford / GM / Chrysler).

The only individuals I know of who had an easily time landing a good-paying, permanent jobs were those with mechanical engineering degrees. But of course, that's such a narrow field and doesn't help people in other fields who also need good paying permanent jobs.

Meanwhile, I started applying out of state and immediately got several interviews with ease at different companies. In fact, my current company not only did not waste my time with a bunch of interviews asking a ton of scripted questions that had nothing to do with the role (something the Big 3 automakers are notorious for), but they even paid for my relocation. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity and haven't even looked back at Michigan.

Maybe things have changed since I left back in 2017, but my experience as far as jobs lacking in Michigan for those who aren't Automotive Engineers definitely supports goofy's claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:56 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,218,750 times
As an African American myself, I think the main issue for me with living in an area that leans majority black or is mostly black is that a lot of decent retailers and restaurants tend to red line these communities (rightly or wrongly).

Here in Atlanta, one example is southern parts of DeKalb County. It's been hit very hard by store closures lately, forcing residents in that community to drive much further to access certain amenities.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM

1,560 posts, read 722,378 times
The large city. Demographics don't factor at all into where I'd like to live except that I don't want the median age to be really low.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:57 PM

1,991 posts, read 869,870 times
I donít care about percentages. As long as the city has a large black population Iím fine! The reality is, the more diverse your city is the less of a percentage your mind will have there.

Also I prefer the integrated scene of blacks youíll find in places like LA and NYC or even DC now!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 PM

6,383 posts, read 6,018,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
The reality is, the more diverse your city is the less of a percentage your mind will have there.
I don't think most posters even realize what you just said there. I have found this to be true where I'm living at now. I think that we get in our own way a lot of the time without realizing it, because all we see is Black and White, or Black, or White.

I don't know if that is where you were going with it but that is what I took from it. Sounded like it could go a couple different ways.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,090,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Would you rather live in a city with a large Black population, like NY or LA, or a smaller city where a large percentage of the population is Black? How does the later influence your experiences in a city that would otherwise go largely unrecognized?

I would rather live in a small city; you couldn't force me to live in NY or LA. I couldn't care less what percentage of the population is black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or