Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which southern state feels more Midwestern?
Kentucky 84 42.00%
Tennessee 6 3.00%
Arkansas 2 1.00%
Oklahoma 102 51.00%
Texas 6 3.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times

Advertisements

In terms of geography, culture and urban build. I'd say that the Upper South influences the Lower Midwest more than the other way around, but I'm sure there's some back and forth.

Choices are

Kentucky
Tennessee
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas

Basically the southern states that border the Midwest, plus Texas which almost touches Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 04:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
I would have to say Oklahoma, although Kentucky runs a close second.

Oklahoma is part of the Wheat Belt (a Midwestern Crop)

Breezy Climate and fairly dry; hot in summer cold in winter

Along the Kansas border (Bartlesville), more like Kansas and Missouri.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 652,920 times
I would say in order from more Midwestern to least:
Oklahoma
Kentucky
Texas
Arkansas
Tennessee

Oklahoma has a similar climate to most Midwestern locations along and south of I-70 (minus southeastern Oklahoma which does resemble the rest of the South in its climate). Oklahoma is grouped with Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas as part of "Plains Tornado Alley". Also shares a border with Kansas. The part of Missouri that it shares a border with is probably more upper-south and not really that Midwestern.

Kentucky shares borders with IL/IN/OH and is actually part of two Midwestern Metro's (Cincinnati and Evansville) even though those both have some upper-south characteristics as well. Kentucky is on the southern edge of the Corn Belt, but as a native Kentuckian, we are culturally and more geologically/geographically similar to Tennessee, West Virginia, the Ozarks portion of Missouri (which is more upper-south than Midwest) and Arkansas as a whole than we are to Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. That is not to say that there aren't similarities between Kentucky and the three states above it, but not to the level of the other solidly upper-south states.

Texas has some relationship to the Midwest as the plains and that associated climate reach down into the state. The Texas Panhandle can be grouped with SW Nebraska, West Kansas, and the Oklahoma Panhandle as the area where the Midwest meets the West.

Arkansas and Tennessee have the least relationship to the Midwest. The parts of Missouri and Oklahoma that Arkansas border is pretty solidly upper-south. I would say that Arkansas influences those two states more so than those two states influence Arkansas. Tennessee is a pretty solid upper-south state with some deep-south characteristics in the SW portion of that state.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,171 times
Kentucky and West Virginia for me.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
I've lived in Kentucky, and I've lived in the Midwest. For the most part, Kentucky has more in common with Tennessee than any state north of it. Louisville and the Cincinnati suburbs north of 275 feel more Midwestern than the rest of Kentucky, but that's it. The rest of Kentucky is unmistakably not in the midwest.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Probably Oklahoma, but that's more toward weather patterns and positioning than cultural.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,459 times
Kentucky easily, especially Louisville and N.Kentucky /Cincinnati suburbs feel Midwestern in a lot of ways.. Other portions of the state, not so much

Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
None of them really.

Sure, Northern Kentucky is tied to Ohio and Indiana but I'd argue (as the op did) that Southern Ohio and Indiana are more Southern than Midwestern.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Funny -- I lived in Missouri for 65 years and never considered Oklahoma to be a "southern state" so I guess that's my answer. It is a plains state and subject to some influence from Texas, Kansas, and the Ozarks regions of Arkansas and Missouri. It's sort of a place unto itself with the Indian country history and cowboys and Bonnie and Clyde. I never got a real sense of "southern-ness" when I visited there. I'm not certain I would call it Midwestern, either.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:44 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
I'd say Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.