U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite U.S. Coastlines?
Alabama 4 4.65%
Alaska 15 17.44%
Connecticut 0 0%
Delaware 5 5.81%
Georgia 2 2.33%
Louisiana 0 0%
Maine 19 22.09%
Maryland 6 6.98%
Massachusetts 9 10.47%
Mississippi 1 1.16%
New Hampshire 0 0%
New Jersey 9 10.47%
New York 4 4.65%
North Carolina 16 18.60%
Oregon 29 33.72%
Rhode Island 3 3.49%
South Carolina 9 10.47%
Texas 7 8.14%
Virginia 10 11.63%
Washington 19 22.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:29 PM

12,674 posts, read 10,505,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
This thread isn't the beach one - it's the one about favorite oceanic coastlines, in case you were confused. Flat featureless sand packed to the gills with a couple thousand people backed by asphalt parking lots and snack shops ain't scenic, I'm sorry. It's ugly and enervating.
I'm not confused. Something pretty does nothing for me if I also can't use it to my liking. I stare at it for a few minutes, take some pictures, and then what? If I can't go into the ocean because it's 50 degrees in the middle of July, if the beach has sand that is hard and damp rather than softer and dry, I don't want to be there any longer than I have to. It can be the most beautiful beach in the world but if I can't USE the beach like I want to, I couldn't care less for it. To me, it's not just about beauty. I'm not going to travel somewhere to go to a beach that looks nice but is otherwise useless for my tastes.

East Coast beaches are beautiful. There doesn't have to be a giant cliff beside it for a beach to be nice. There are also plenty of beaches that are state or national parks, thus untouched.

I like beaches along pretty much the whole East Coast for their summer usability, and I find them pretty. I would also enjoy Southern California beaches in the summer, and Hawaii, Caribbean, and many Florida beaches year round. Those are my favorite coastlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,206,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's some decent scenery, I've heard the Maryland coast has some nice spots, with wild horses, and something about an area in Georgia. Just not as spectacular as the west coast. The dune landscape of Fire Island (NY) is neat, only photo I could find:

http://www.nps.gov/fiis/planyourvisi...-July-2014.jpg

And Acadia National Park in Maine is as scenic as anywhere on the west coast.
I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. I went to Acadia National Park this summer and was underwhelmed. I kept thinking about how I thought if Acadia was put on the West Coast it would be just run of the mill. On top of that, it was really crowded.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:45 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,124,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
This thread isn't the beach one - it's the one about favorite oceanic coastlines, in case you were confused. Flat featureless sand packed to the gills with a couple thousand people backed by asphalt parking lots and snack shops ain't scenic, I'm sorry. It's ugly and enervating.
Amen. There are definitely obvious differences between an oceanic coastline and a beach. I'll take a beautiful coastline with cliffs, mountains and no crowds any day over the beach.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 AM

11,742 posts, read 8,305,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm honestly surprised that New York does not have more votes. New York always gets votes in a lot of polls because it's New York (or really, it has New York City within its borders)… the prestige alone usually makes people vote for it. Long Island's coast is very nice. The Hamptons is a stretch of coast probably internationally known - maybe it's too pretentious and unrelatable for people?
Well then keep the New Yorkers down there. We don't need them invading our Cape and Islands driving real estate prices to Hamptons levels.

Nantucket is now completely unaffordable and New York plates abound.

Sorry Jerseygirl, I had to vent.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Because the water is never swimmable.
It's also rarely sunny out. Kinda depressing.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I judge coastlines by their usability as well, not just looks. If I can't enjoy the beach itself the way I want to, I don't want to go there. Period.
Me too. If you live in a coastal community on the east coast your life revolves around the ocean, you see and interact with it daily, it is warm and inviting. On the west coast you see the ocean but you don't really even touch it, it is cold and forbidding.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Amen. There are definitely obvious differences between an oceanic coastline and a beach. I'll take a beautiful coastline with cliffs, mountains and no crowds any day over the beach.
Beaches are located on coastlines, no matter which coast. What a ridiculous thing to say. The east coast is no less of a coastline than the west coast. All you need to say is that you prefer the west coast instead of making that up.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:44 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,124,041 times
Quote:
Beaches are located on coastlines, no matter which coast. What a ridiculous thing to say. The east coast is no less of a coastline than the west coast. All you need to say is that you prefer the west coast instead of making that up.
What are you talking about? When I said "beach", I was referring to the typical American view of the beach: lots of people relaxing on the sand, umbrellas up, kids making sand castles, dudes surfing, a seaside amusement park, etc. You get the idea. The subject at hand in this thread is coastlines, and it's obvious the OP is talking about places like Big Sur in California. I didn't make up anything. All I said was I prefer those to the typical American beach. The West Coast is full of typical American beaches like Venice and the Santa Monica Pier. I was speaking in general. Relax.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
What are you talking about? When I said "beach", I was referring to the typical American view of the beach: lots of people relaxing on the sand, umbrellas up, kids making sand castles, dudes surfing, a seaside amusement park, etc. You get the idea. The subject at hand in this thread is coastlines, and it's obvious the OP is talking about places like Big Sur in California. I didn't make up anything. All I said was I prefer those to the typical American beach. The West Coast is full of typical American beaches like Venice and the Santa Monica Pier. I was speaking in general. Relax.
A coastline is anywhere along a body of water like the ocean, and apparently large lakes. The OP wasn't asking just about dramatic coastlines like Big Sur, but about which natural coastal scene in which coastal state you prefer. A coastline isn't just cliffs along the ocean, it includes regular beaches, which is why the OP included states with just regular beaches. Your post made it seem like there is a difference between beaches and coastlines, when there is not. A beach is located on a coastline, which simply refers to the land along the body of water. Where water meets land, that's a coastline.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,484,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Me too. If you live in a coastal community on the east coast your life revolves around the ocean, you see and interact with it daily, it is warm and inviting. On the west coast you see the ocean but you don't really even touch it, it is cold and forbidding.
This has gone on long enough. You live in a coastal community on the east coast where the local ocean temp is 15 degrees below than the cold and forbidding water two blocks from my front door. Somebody should tell the millions of people who live near the ocean in SoCal their lives don’t revolve around the ocean, and they don’t see and interact with it daily.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/natl.html

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

More generally, as somebody who has lived in close proximity to BOTH soft flat, wide sandy beaches and more rocky coastlines with sharp bluffs punctuated by dramatic headlands (and as well areas possessing subtle combinations of all those features) nearly my entire life, the notion the locals don’t “interact” or “make use” with both is just pathetically misinformed. Only somebody has never had the opportunity to integrate each into their daily lives would suggest otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or