U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:00 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,385,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel86 View Post
DC is mostly salvadoreans, I have never seen many south americans there, the only places where you get to see South Americans it's NYC or Miami, perhaps in New Jersey to a lesser degree.

Most of the Brazilians, Columbians, Argentinians that Ive met I met them around NYC or Miami, I did some of my military years in Southern Cali and I never met people from south america there, and I even looked for them because I wanted to hook up with some Brazilian, columbian or argentinian chic and no success.
I mentioned the DC area which includes the suburbs. Most of the South Americans are often Colombians and Peruvians. They're not heavily concentrated in any particular parts but there seems to be more Peruvians here in Suburban Maryland. The Hispanic population in DC itself is mainly Central American like much of the DMV, a large percentage of Salvadorians, however there is a significant presence of Hondurans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, and some Panamanians here and there both in The City and here in the 'burbs. When it comes to the Hispanic/Latino presence here in the DMV, Central America is well represented.

Oh btw, I've heard that Marietta, GA (a really diverse close-in suburb of ATL) is a major stronghold for Brazilians with plenty of Brazilian nightlife and dining options. I also believe the Boston area and Providence, RI and New Haven, CT have significant Brazilian populations too. Just a heads-up for your future travels

Last edited by tcave360; 10-23-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:28 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,039 times
Quote:
DC is mostly salvadoreans, I have never seen many south americans there, the only places where you get to see South Americans it's NYC or Miami, perhaps in New Jersey to a lesser degree.

Most of the Brazilians, Columbians, Argentinians that Ive met I met them around NYC or Miami, I did some of my military years in Southern Cali and I never met people from south america there, and I even looked for them because I wanted to hook up with some Brazilian, columbian or argentinian chic and no success.
I grew up in Southern California and have come across PLENTY of South Americans...Argentinians, Bolivians, PERUVIANS, Paraguayans, Brazilians, Ecuadorians, Venezuelans etc.

Just in my high school Spanish AP class in Orange County (in the city of La Palma) we had: una Cubana, una Nicaraguense, una Salvadorena, una Guatemalteca, una Brasilena, una Paraguayana, una Peruana, una Boricua...and I was actually the only Mexicano. Didn't know any Colombians back then, but came across a few in college, and dated an Italian Venezuelan. In Central O.C., you will find lots of Argentinian restaurants, and a few markets (Gaucho markets). The Argentinean places, I observe, tend to serve the greater South American community as well, as they also sell products that cater to other South Americans, not just Argentinos. After Argentinos, or possibly tied with them, the most I see is Peruanos, and they have restaurants all over (Ive been seeing more and more in North OC.) Brazilians are spread all over, but come together for holidays and community events, and I've been to bars in OC where 60+ % of the people there are Brasileiros. Just follow the samba!

The Greater LA area is one of the most diverse regions on this planet, and it attracts people from just about every nation. Maybe not all in equal numbers, but having a large and historic Mexican community does not diminish its diversity any less than London because it is more than 50% of white British stock, or Boston because it has a huge Irish presence, or Miami where Cuban culture is the foundation.

Then again, if we put the Mexican community aside in California, the South American one is still relatively small when we compare it to the Central American population (Salvadoreans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans and Hondurans primarily). Also, while Mexican immigration into the state has experience net 0 growth (meaning just the same amount of Mexicans are leaving as they are coming in), immigration (both legal and illegal) from Central America has experience the most growth of any Latino group. It's turning into little Mesoamerica up in here. haha

As for Colombian establishments/events in the greater L.A. area, there are these:

Festival Colombiano 2014 - Los Angeles, CA

and this club (if you are interested in meeting women/men) is a good place to hit up to meet just about anyone from every country in Latin America: Home - La Diosa Night Club

In Orange County (where I live), I know of two restaurants:
Home | | Siganos!
El Porton Colombiano Restaurant - Huntington Beach, CA | Yelp

Restaurants in Los Angeles:
EscaLA Restaurant & Bar
Sabor Colombiano- Los Angeles, CA 90017
La Fonda Antioquena - Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

In Los Angeles (Hawthorne) there is a specialized Colombian market as well: Colombian Delicatessen

Old 10-23-2014, 02:58 PM

605 posts, read 466,961 times
Quote:

DC has a lot of Bolivian immigrants too, they are mainly concentrated around the Columbia Pike area in Arlington.

Houston also has a sizable community of Argentines, Colombians, and Venezuelans, most of whom are educated professionals lured by the many engineering positions found in the area. The Houston suburb of Katy also has the nickname "Katyzuela" because of the huge Venezuelan expat community residing there.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 10,781 times
Theres barley any Colombians in NYC too , the only place where u might find a decent population of colombians is in Queens NYC Like in the Jackson Heightd Area and they not really big there like before cus alot of Ecuadorians have been replacing them . New York Hispanicss Compose of Dominicans Being The largest Latino group then goes Puerto Ricans in Second Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.