U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 05:17 PM

53 posts, read 63,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
If you add up English and American ancestries in New England, they dominate New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. It's true there a large German influence in Texas, especially the Hill Country but overall the state is more of British stock (English and Scots-Irish) like others southern states. Minnesota is still more German although Scandinavian influence is bigger and why is California russian?
russians had settlements around northern california

I wouldn't call the ones who call themselves Americans British though, plenty of people these days just feel American, I know several blacks for example who refuse the african-american term and prefer to call themselves Americans (Raven simone is an example to cite a celebrity), even many latinos who say I am just an American (Jessica Alba comes to mind), I think America is moving towards the "I am an American" mentality, I'm noticing more and more people transcending the I am a quarter this, a quarter that, to the I am just an American.

My ancestors were German, Norwegian and some Cherokee, I honestly feel just American. (I am from Minnesota BTW)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM

7,596 posts, read 9,448,275 times
The OP was a little over-the-top, to put it mildly..

The US has British cultural underpinnings, but much has changed since the 1600-1700s...

New England has some old-stock English ( the Mayflower, boarding schools, Ivy League, Episcopal Church, etc), and Irish-Catholics, while the South is largely Protestant Scots-Irish. The Midwest has large number of descendents of German immigrants, along with Polish, Scandinavian and other eastern European groups. Large numbers of Italians in the Northeast and urban areas of the Midwest, African-Americans in the South and in large urban areas, and Hispanic Americans also in urban areas along with the Southwest and the West Coast.

The British provided the foundation, and everyone else added their two cents after..

Old 10-23-2014, 05:28 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,951,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
yeah quite, wyoming, the dakotas, montana are quite native.... wait

are those the rockies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Not really.
Seems there's alot of towns (below 10,000) with large Amerindian populations.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Seems there's alot of towns (below 10,000) with large Amerindian populations.
if you count many mexicans as native of the americas (mayans, aztecs) you will get a higher number of natives, not all mexicans speak spanish, I know of mexican-americans who actually speak indigenous languages like Nahuatl and cannot speak spanish at all.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM

350 posts, read 607,587 times
Quote:
russians had settlements around northern california

I wouldn't call the ones who call themselves Americans British though, plenty of people these days just feel American, I know several blacks for example who refuse the african-american term and prefer to call themselves Americans (Raven simone is an example to cite a celebrity), even many latinos who say I am just an American (Jessica Alba comes to mind), I think America is moving towards the "I am an American" mentality, I'm noticing more and more people transcending the I am a quarter this, a quarter that, to the I am just an American.

My ancestors were German, Norwegian and some Cherokee, I honestly feel just American. (I am from Minnesota BTW)
I think most African American are proud to identify as Black. The case of Raven Simone is the minority that's why we talk a lot about that. Jessica Alba is mixed (Mexican, French and Danish ) so I can understand why she won't be label as Latinas. The fact that the highest percentages of people who consider themselves of American ancestry is in the same place where English was the dominant ancestry isn't a coincidence. If you know your ancestry, would you just put American ancestry in the census rather than German and Norwegian ?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I think most African American are proud to identify as Black. The case of Raven Simone is the minority that's why we talk a lot about that. Jessica Alba is mixed (Mexican, French and Danish ) so I can understand why she won't be label as Latinas. The fact that the highest percentages of people who consider themselves of American ancestry is in the same place where English was the dominant ancestry isn't a coincidence. If you know your ancestry, would you just put American ancestry in the census rather than German and Norwegian ?
I actually started to consider myself American when I visited Europe, Asia and South America and realized that to the eyes of the world, I am just an American regardless of my origin.

I have Norwegian roots and in Norway I was just another foreign guy, same goes on in Germany I even went to the town where my ancestors came from but felt no connection and to the locals I was just a nice foreign tourist.

When I come to St. Paul I feel I am home, my parents are here, family is here, friends are here, things I grew up with are here (that is why I call myself, An American and nothing more)

by the way, calling one self black doesn't mean one feels African! I know several black folks who dislike the term African-American and prefer to be called black or American.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,951,821 times
Quote:
if you count many mexicans as native of the americas (mayans, aztecs) you will get a higher number of natives, not all mexicans speak spanish, I know of mexican-americans who actually speak indigenous languages like Nahuatl and cannot speak spanish at all.
I always wondered what America would be like if European colonialism wasnt as harsh.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I always wondered what America would be like if European colonialism wasnt as harsh.
it would have different nations

Cherokee, Apache, Inuit, Aztec, Mayans, then all the way down to south america you'd have all sort of nations with different languages, sort of like Europe or Africa.

Some nations really wealthy and developed, others poor and rural.

No black people or white people anywhere, everyone would look sort of mexican

Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,464,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The USA was originally a British enclave and we took their language, law, and culture at our creation. Then we took a large number of immigrants from Germany & Ireland and later from Italy, Scandinavia and these brought with them various European cultures that meshed with the essentially British culture. The blacks were here early and have a very different culture from European. Later the Hispanics immigrated and have a different culture that they bring. And now a large number of Asians have immigrated bringing their cultural values.

So I believe their is a strong connection between Britain and the USA historically and with our language but our large immigrants over the years have brought a separation from the British culture.
I agree.... but not so much the last part of ..."over the years a separation from the British culture"????

That was really short lived. After Independence... yes a complete split in ties. But culture almost NEVER?

ALWAYS the US looked to the UK for Culture. This Century continued the cultural tie. Music. Dress styles. The British Invasion was far more then just music? It continued the CULTURAL INFLUENCE. So No ...IT DID NOT LESSEN IN THE LAST DECADES.??? IT BECAME MORE ENTRENCHED. We virtually see the Royal Family as if under the Crown too?? Hollywood and TV still has many British and other ANGLO NATIONS ACTORS. They take on American accents though...LOL

YES WE ARE STILL A ANGLO NATION ADOPTED AS IF INTO THE ANGLO FAMILY....
ASK A FRENCHMAN.... What culture do you see the US linked with most??? Would they say French? No
German? No Italian? No BRITISH........YES
If the British see it as so??? And much of the world? It is.....

Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times
I still think American culture is essentially a British culture, or at least something close to it. The number of people of English descent is vastly overcounted and the non-English descent people assimilated onto that "core" culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or