U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 PM

906 posts, read 770,315 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned that Hawaii is Polynesian, which it is... but there IS a a Union Jack on the state's flag. We are very much like the British. England also has a huge amount of ethnic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 PM

15,551 posts, read 17,783,363 times
New Mexico is more (17th century) Spanish than Mexican, and even with that it is ultimately as "American as apple pie", which originated in Britain, so...

Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 PM

239 posts, read 278,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Why?
They started arriving in huge numbers during the Potato Famine and within 50 or so years practically controlled Boston. That's a huge jump in social cache for any new arrival.

And they managed to do so by essentially toppling a WASPy establishment that saw them as inferior.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 PM

18,686 posts, read 9,647,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I agree.... but not so much the last part of ..."over the years a separation from the British culture"????

That was really short lived. After Independence... yes a complete split in ties. But culture almost NEVER?

ALWAYS the US looked to the UK for Culture. This Century continued the cultural tie. Music. Dress styles. The British Invasion was far more then just music? It continued the CULTURAL INFLUENCE. So No ...IT DID NOT LESSEN IN THE LAST DECADES.??? IT BECAME MORE ENTRENCHED. We virtually see the Royal Family as if under the Crown too?? Hollywood and TV still has many British and other ANGLO NATIONS ACTORS. They take on American accents though...LOL

YES WE ARE STILL A ANGLO NATION ADOPTED AS IF INTO THE ANGLO FAMILY....
ASK A FRENCHMAN.... What culture do you see the US linked with most??? Would they say French? No
German? No Italian? No BRITISH........YES
If the British see it as so??? And much of the world? It is.....
Overall I agree with this but, for example, I grew up in south Louisiana where you have the least English as a percentage of any state except Hawaii and it's not really like UK...more like France or Spain including the use of French Civil Law. Then you have huge swaths in the southwest that are largely Hispanic.

So for the country as a whole I agree with you, but there are a significant areas of the USA that are not very Anglo in their culture or attitudes.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,470,658 times
Quote:
I agree I have Ulster Scots cousins in america and they call themselves irish. There seems to be a lot of anti-English people there.
I think you mistaken the reason your Scot descent cousins link with the Irish in the US? HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH
ANTI-ENGLISH ANYTHING. The Irish are just the Larger group linage in the US. The Scot accent to Americans sound Irish. Once they are second and third generation. Whether Welsh, Scot or Irish they all just go with Irish. But nothing to do with anti-English sentiment.
The US didn't go through the Catholic. Protestant huge issue thing. Much of the Irish who came over from the Great Potato famine, did not make Church issues rule when starving back in that day?

Last edited by steeps; 10-24-2014 at 02:40 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,602,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I always wondered what America would be like if European colonialism wasnt as harsh.
It would be poor

Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 AM

11,763 posts, read 8,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
So I guess I am not an American because I don't have anglo-saxxon roots.

My family came from Norway

and African-Americans are not Americans either, neither are the Italian-Americans, or the hispanics, or the jews, or the Asians.
The Normans conquered England, the Normans were descended from the Vikings.

As much as this now pains me to say, you're one of us!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:12 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,976,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
it would have different nations

Cherokee, Apache, Inuit, Aztec, Mayans, then all the way down to south america you'd have all sort of nations with different languages, sort of like Europe or Africa.

Some nations really wealthy and developed, others poor and rural.

No black people or white people anywhere, everyone would look sort of mexican
That's my thinking aswell.

Quote:
It would be poor
Huh? Why assume that??

Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,070,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
ation. Whether Welsh, Scot or Irish they all just go with Irish. But nothing to do with anti-English sentiment.
The US didn't go through the Catholic. Protestant huge issue thing. Much of the Irish who came over from the Great Potato famine, did not make Church issues rule when starving back in that day?
New England did, it was rather divided for a long time, and often voted on Catholic - Protestant lines. Using Irish to refer to Irish Protestants would sound odd here.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 AM

239 posts, read 278,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
New England did, it was rather divided for a long time, and often voted on Catholic - Protestant lines. Using Irish to refer to Irish Protestants would sound odd here.
The rest of the country did as well. The KKK of the 1920s had a huge anti-Catholic message. The Democrats in 1928 struggled to convince the Southern Protestants to vote for their Catholic candidate. In 1960, people were even worried about Catholic John F. Kennedy becoming President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or