U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,454,824 times

Advertisements

The US is an Anglo nation. The op cited the different ethnic groups who don't originate from England, but they all speak English don't they? This nation was founded by the British, our government is based on British ideas, our culture is heavily british influenced. It does not matter if you are a white American of German background, or a black American in Louisiana you have an Anglo based culture. All the ethnic groups that make up America have adopted an Anglo culture, other than recent immigrants. In time they will also adapt the dominant Anglo culture. The same thing is true in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and of course the UK. The UK is the "mother country" no reason for any American to resent that, in fact I am proud of that fact. The UK is part of our history, the history of the UK is also part of the history of the USA. The Anglo nations share culture and language and that links us. This is something good for all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,946,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
With a lovely man from Bath!

Love not everyone is rough edgy Londoner like you dear!!!!
But deary, most Brits are rough around the edges!! And they would blow you away!!!

More like "Yeah that's it, get that down ya, yeah yeah..."

Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,019,848 times
The U.S. emerged from the British Empire and the British influence is still obvious (the fact that English is the lingua franca in a country that doesn't have an official language says quite a lot). Its only natural that a kinship relationship exist between the peoples of these two countries that for centuries were one country! Had Britain better managed its North American 13 colonies they would had probably been part of Britain to this very day.

Also, of all the former British colonies, the one's that eventually became the USA are now the most powerful country on the planet. This must be like giving birth to a child that later in life becomes a very important person in the world. The parent will feel some pride and joy, even if at times they are annoyed by the same kid. Same thing with countries.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The US is an Anglo nation. The op cited the different ethnic groups who don't originate from England, but they all speak English don't they? This nation was founded by the British, our government is based on British ideas, our culture is heavily british influenced. It does not matter if you are a white American of German background, or a black American in Louisiana you have an Anglo based culture. All the ethnic groups that make up America have adopted an Anglo culture, other than recent immigrants. In time they will also adapt the dominant Anglo culture. The same thing is true in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and of course the UK. The UK is the "mother country" no reason for any American to resent that, in fact I am proud of that fact. The UK is part of our history, the history of the UK is also part of the history of the USA. The Anglo nations share culture and language and that links us. This is something good for all of us.
Louisiana technically is a Hispanic/Franco Latin Latin cultural region and it's peoples are technically Latin including its blacks, many of whom speak Spanish, French, and Créole.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Many Americans are unaware of this, but I live in Europe and if you watch the BBC or talk to a lot of british who have never been to the US, they seem to think America is like this enclave of anglo-saxoness on the other side of the ocean, and that Americans are obsessed with their queen and with "daddy" UK and all that ridiculous stuff, the funny thing is most Americans are oblivious to the UK (I mean Americans don't dislike the UK but they're not obsessed with it either)

While the US did gain its independence from the UK, it's also true America is WAAAAYYYY too diverse to be called an anglosaxon society (as if it was part of the commonwealth and it was mostly just english descendants)

Most white Americans have GERMAN ROOTS, not british.... and the UK only colonized the 13 original colonies on the east coast, get out of there and the british influence disappears quickly.

for example what it's so british about California? (it was founded by the spaniards and it has from russian influence, to spaniard, to mexican, to native american, to asian)

what is so british about Alaska? (it was a russian colony with inuit as its original inhabitants)

What is so british about florida? louisiana?

the mid west was actually mostly colonized by France, (look at the louisiana purchase)

places like Minnesota are full of scandinavian influence

Lets not forget places like Mississippi, Alabama with its mixture of African, french and spanish roots!!!

I've spoken with british who go to New Orleans and get surprised because there is no british culture there and everything is so french looking!!!

I also met a brit who went to Texas and was surprised that food was spicy, people didnt know about the queen and they had mariachi bands like neighboring mexico

I have a friend who is a native American from Wyoming and he was told in the UK if he had latino roots because he didnt look America (I was so offended, what is looking American in the first place? looking like a brit?) seriously delusional!!

Even here there is an irish guy who gets very annoyed because in miami most people speak spanish, he was expecting perhaps that a city founded by spaniards and populated mostly by cubans would look like some UK town by the beach

It's as if they think America = UK on the other side of the pond

when in reality the US is a gigantic melting pot of cultures, religions, even languages!!! (and it has always been for pretty much most of its existence)
Actually Louisiana Territory had been under Spanish rule and control when it was sold to the USA.

New Orleans architecture especially in French Quarter and Vieux Carré is actually Spanish based and influenced by the way.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:33 AM

The entire USA had originally been a Spanish colony, but ultimately the British influenced prevailed to stay.

Jamaica still has Spanish influences yet British takeover resulted in British ideals and culture triumphing. The victor gets to write and tell the story. Snooze you lose! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 10-25-2014, 04:11 AM

349 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Louisiana technically is a Hispanic/Franco Latin Latin cultural region and it's peoples are technically Latin including its blacks, many of whom speak Spanish, French, and Créole.
Yes but except for the architecture and that some blacks have Spanish blood, is Louisiana really Spanish ?

We always talk about how the southern part of the state is French /Cajun/Creole and the northern part is Anglo southern like other southern states. I know some still speak French at home but never heard of Spanish.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What annoys me in the U.S. is when white people are referred to as "Anglos". Wouldn't that be like referring to Hispanic people as "Moors"???

You can be white and have no real connection to the Anglo Saxons.
I never heard of "Anglos" used that way until this forum. I assumed it meant similar to WASP.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,222,826 times
I asked some Americans I know on Facebook about this... their reply is they don't feel comfortable calling themselves anglos as they also have many different ethnic origins (italian, russian, french, german)

It's exclusive and I am not a WASP, (I am italian, Russian, scottish) (says Stephanie my friend) and yes while we speak english, we also speak chinese, spanish, french, italian, Pennsylvanian dutch, hundredths of native american languages, creole and so on.

we have just about any imaginable religion on this planet (not just protestant or anglican)

we don't sit at 4 pm to eat our biscuits with tea and then we eat spotted dick with pudding for dinner like australians do (much more anglos than we are)...
our national staple is from the americas (corn, potatoes, tomatoes)
we eat corn-bread, tacos, apple pie, chicago pizza, sweet ice tea, macaroni and cheese, collard greens with pork and refrained beans and texas chili con carne. (most of these things are virtually unknown in the UK.)

NO I am not an anglo!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:48 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,946,231 times
We eat Pork, Tomatoes, corn, potatoes (apart of our many national dishes!!), Apple pie (Apple pie originated here for Christ sake), Chilli con carne and Macaroni and cheese. That's the majority of your list.

We also don't eat tea and biscuits at 4pm, the UK isn't stuck in a time warp...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or