U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,264,566 times

Advertisements

No, what bothers me more is when people try to convince me that America is "multi-cultural" and has no actual identity or cultural affinity with the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,623,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
All of those people you described would be living in huts if it wasn't for Anglos coming here...Yes they built America
No, more of the country would've just been built up by the Spanish(who had settlements in New Mexico and California and Florida and Texas) or the French who built early New Orleans or the Dutch who first built New Amsterdam(which become New York). And none of them were living in huts.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM

22 posts, read 17,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
America is not anglo-saxxon, this is a complete lack of respect towards african-americans, hispanics, italians, jews, asians, cajuns, german-americans, scandinavian-americans, french-americans, the NATIVE AMERICANS!

it is also not acknowledging the cultural and historical roots of the different parts of America, from native American new mexico, to the french roots of louisiana, to the polynesian roots of Hawaii, to the spanish roots of california, to my home state and its scandinavian roots

GTFO with your anglo crap, if you want to be surrounded by pasty inbred looking anglos, move to the deep mountains of kentucky where good ole anglo traditions of banging your own siblings exist, or better yet, go to the UK where white clean teeth are as rare as good looking women!!!
So, you're just a jealous Anglo basher, huh. I'm not saying that other people didn't also influence this country, they did, but it wasn't comparable to the amount of influence that came from Britain. America was founded primarily by British Americans. The only reason why people question this, is, simply because lots of us have forgotten(or are just completely unaware of) our true roots. The Midwest maybe mostly German/Scandinavian, but there was tremendous migration to that region during the 1800s from Britain. The English,Cornish,Welsh and Scottish founded some of the earliest towns in the Midwest. Many New England families also did the same.

Are you sure you don't have any British ancestry?

Last edited by RMoore36; 10-21-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 05:47 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Many Americans are unaware of this, but I live in Europe and if you watch the BBC or talk to a lot of british who have never been to the US, they seem to think America is like this enclave of anglo-saxoness on the other side of the ocean, and that Americans are obsessed with their queen and with "daddy" UK and all that ridiculous stuff, the funny thing is most Americans are oblivious to the UK (I mean Americans don't dislike the UK but they're not obsessed with it either)

While the US did gain its independence from the UK, it's also true America is WAAAAYYYY too diverse to be called an anglosaxon society (as if it was part of the commonwealth and it was mostly just english descendants)

Most white Americans have GERMAN ROOTS, not british.... and the UK only colonized the 13 original colonies on the east coast, get out of there and the british influence disappears quickly.

for example what it's so british about California? (it was founded by the spaniards and it has from russian influence, to spaniard, to mexican, to native american, to asian)

what is so british about Alaska? (it was a russian colony with inuit as its original inhabitants)

What is so british about florida? louisiana?

the mid west was actually mostly colonized by France, (look at the louisiana purchase)

places like Minnesota are full of scandinavian influence

Lets not forget places like Mississippi, Alabama with its mixture of African, french and spanish roots!!!

I've spoken with british who go to New Orleans and get surprised because there is no british culture there and everything is so french looking!!!

I also met a brit who went to Texas and was surprised that food was spicy, people didnt know about the queen and they had mariachi bands like neighboring mexico

I have a friend who is a native American from Wyoming and he was told in the UK if he had latino roots because he didnt look America (I was so offended, what is looking American in the first place? looking like a brit?) seriously delusional!!

Even here there is an irish guy who gets very annoyed because in miami most people speak spanish, he was expecting perhaps that a city founded by spaniards and populated mostly by cubans would look like some UK town by the beach

It's as if they think America = UK on the other side of the pond

when in reality the US is a gigantic melting pot of cultures, religions, even languages!!! (and it has always been for pretty much most of its existence)
The British thinks about Americans way more than Americans think about the British. I will say that American media has a weird obsession with English royalty and they try to shove it down our throats even though most Americans could care less about the Queen of England or Prince William. Americans care more about celebrities like the Kardashians and Hollywood actors.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:02 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The British thinks about Americans way more than Americans think about the British. I will say that American media has a weird obsession with English royalty and they try to shove it down our throats even though most Americans could care less about the Queen of England or Prince William. Americans care more about celebrities like the Kardashians and Hollywood actors.
Queen of the UK, actually. There is no nation-state called England

Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 AM

53 posts, read 63,792 times
So I guess I am not an American because I don't have anglo-saxxon roots.

My family came from Norway

and African-Americans are not Americans either, neither are the Italian-Americans, or the hispanics, or the jews, or the Asians.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:41 AM

53 posts, read 63,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
No, what bothers me more is when people try to convince me that America is "multi-cultural" and has no actual identity or cultural affinity with the UK.
America has ALWAYS been multicultural!!!!

Even before the first Europeans had settled here (THE SPANIARDS), yes they were the FIRST EUROPEANS to ever set foot on this nation, America was already filled with hundredths of Native American tribes!!!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,305,072 times
Quote:
Most white Americans have GERMAN ROOTS, not british
Where do you think the "Saxony" part of Anglo-Saxon came from?

"Anglo-Saxon" was a term for the English integration of Germanic traditions in the period after the decline of Roman influence. There is also a dose of French influence from the Norman conquest. In modern use, it also refers to a wider shared heritage between areas in northerwestern Europe (England, Scandinavia, the Germanic-speaking regions), as opposed to "Latinate" Europe.

Of course the US is largely an Anglo-Saxon country. What else would it be? Even our law comes in large part from the English common law, which was imported wholesale from the old country upon America's independence, with a few modifications. That's why US Supreme Court decisions (particularly older ones) cite directly to English common law cases.

If you grew up in the US, your life has been influenced to a great extent by structures and traditions that arose from America's origin as an English colony. That's hardly an unfortunate fate.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,489,906 times
Smh...some stereotypical british probably think they still own America, for all I know.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,996,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud77 View Post
So I guess I am not an American because I don't have anglo-saxxon roots.

My family came from Norway

and African-Americans are not Americans either, neither are the Italian-Americans, or the hispanics, or the jews, or the Asians.
Lol Norway.

But to answer the OP, yes it is considered an Anglo country and always has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or