U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,277,212 times

Advertisements

Most Americans have German roots? I doubt it. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most have British roots. And seriously, America is quite diverse but we were once a British colony, nothing can change that. Same story with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Why do we speak English in this nation? Seriously, I don't want to sound like a jerk but America traces it's history back to England. Look at the majority of the names of cities, towns, counties, states, and rivers along the east coast, or should I just say the former 13 colonies. Most are of British origin. If you speed up southern accents, they sound more British. Some Americans still sound a little British in their accents, along the Outer Banks of North Carolina is a perfect example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:09 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,482,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel86 View Post
Rank Ancestry Number Percent of total

1 German 49,206,934 17.1%
2 African 41,284,752 13.6%
3 Irish 35,523,082 11.6%
4 Mexican 31,789,483 10.9%
5 English 26,923,091 9.0%
6 American 19,911,467 6.7%
7 Italian 17,558,598 5.9%
8 Polish 9,739,653 3.0%
9 French 9,136,092 2.9%
10 Scottish 5,706,263 1.9%

this is interesting
The American ethnicity is basically the de facto category for people of English descent who choose not to identify with it. More like an "American pride" type of thing. It's really a stupid category to give Whites when it comes to ethnic ancestry.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,998,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The American ethnicity is basically the de facto category for people of English descent who choose not to identify with it. More like an "American pride" type of thing. It's really a stupid category to give Whites when it comes to ethnic ancestry.
This

Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,887,056 times
Quote:

3 Irish 35,523,082 11.6%
8 Polish 9,739,653 3.0%
9 French 9,136,092 2.9%

This is interesting, there are technically more Irish-Americans, Mexican-Americans, African-Americans and German-Americans than English-Americans on this country.

It's also overwhelming to be a non-Mexican hispanic in America because you get blamed for all the crappy things Mexicans do, from gangs, to illegal immigration, to having high birth rates.

it's interesting how most Hispanics in America are middle class, while Mexicans are pretty much the bottom of the economic ladder but since mexicans are overwhelming in number, the other hispanics just get dragged down along.

this is why so many hispanics absolutely DESPISE being grouped or associated with mexican people.
Yeah, but in reality the % of English Americans, by blood/genes, should be closer to 2nd or 3rd. A lot of those who identify as American ancestry tend to be of English background living in the South.

Also, as to your last statement...those people are just silly (to say it in the most inoffensive way I could muster). I am of Mexican birth (naturalized American), but get confused for a variety of ethnicities/nationalities...everything from Brazilian/South American to Italian/Spanish to Middle Eastern to South Asian (Afghanistani/Pakistani/Northern Indian). I have never, and will never, feel insulted by being mistaken for any other people. For one, no one chooses where they are born, so to have pride or shame of place of origin is just absurd to me. Second, what makes us is our individual decisions and choices, not someone's preconceptions based on who they think I am or am not.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:21 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,482,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This
I also think the US Census has an anti-Anglo agenda to make it seem like the English American population is smaller than it really is and that's not fair. Their trying to make people believe in this myth that Germans are the largest ethnic group when in reality it's most likely people of English descent. Personally I don't like it when ethnic groups get undercounted. The US has a long history of doing that.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,469,543 times
Quote:

3 Irish 35,523,082 11.6%
8 Polish 9,739,653 3.0%
9 French 9,136,092 2.9%

This is interesting, there are technically more Irish-Americans, Mexican-Americans, African-Americans and German-Americans than English-Americans on this country.

It's also overwhelming to be a non-Mexican hispanic in America because you get blamed for all the crappy things Mexicans do, from gangs, to illegal immigration, to having high birth rates.

it's interesting how most Hispanics in America are middle class, while Mexicans are pretty much the bottom of the economic ladder but since mexicans are overwhelming in number, the other hispanics just get dragged down along.

this is why so many hispanics absolutely DESPISE being grouped or associated with mexican people.
Miguel ... you are going off on some tangent even that Hispanics hate each other ?

THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD ISN'T the Ethnic make-up of the US?? It is WHAT TRADITIONS THE NATION HAS MOST IN COMMON WITH. examples linking us closest to the UK .....

Legal system, primary language, music and performers shared, US Country music has clear UK roots. The US east coast housing has roots in UK. From Colonial times.

German Americans lost their ethnic link to Germany quickest. Italians hold the most and or course Latinos i'd say. Those from the UK need lose nothing???? As far as Latinos hating each other? Not what I see in the workplace. They sit with each other for lunches. Clearly understand each other. Dislikes even some jealousy, does not mean hate?
also when you separate Irish Americans?? You forget they are Anglo and of the UK linked as even Northern Ireland was.

SO YOU CAN JUST ADD YOUR %'s of IRISH AND ENGLISH????
YOU GET IN YOUR LIST THEN 27% OF UK LINAGE OR((((ANGLO))))
Not including those of Welsh and Scottish descent??

Old 10-22-2014, 03:35 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,887,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Miguel ... you are going off on some tangent even that Hispanics hate each other ?

THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD ISN'T the Ethnic make-up of the US?? It is WHAT TRADITIONS THE NATION HAS MOST IN COMMON WITH. examples linking us closest to the UK .....

Legal system, primary language, music and performers shared, US Country music has clear UK roots. The US east coast housing has roots in UK. From Colonial times.

German Americans lost their ethnic link to Germany quickest. Italians hold the most and or course Latinos i'd say. Those from the UK need lose nothing???? As far as Latinos hating each other? Not what I see in the workplace. They sit with each other for lunches. Clearly understand each other. Dislikes even some jealousy, does not mean hate?
also when you separate Irish Americans?? You forget they are Anglo and of the UK linked as even Northern Ireland was.

SO YOU CAN JUST ADD YOUR %'s of IRISH AND ENGLISH????
YOU GET IN YOUR LIST THEN 27% OF UK LINAGE OR((((ANGLO))))
Not including those of Welsh and Scottish descent??
I disagree. There were strong German communities that held on to their language and culture for many many generations in various parts of the country up until the 1940's, when Germany became associated with all that was bad in the world, and there was a push for German Americans to just embrace American-ness.

Perhaps they were more quickly accepted being that they were (for the most part) protestant, and fit in with American's ideals of a white nation (which, at the time, meant Northern European). Nonetheless, Germans held on to their ethnic identity for quite a while.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,635,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I disagree. There were strong German communities that held on to their language and culture for many many generations in various parts of the country up until the 1940's, when Germany became associated with all that was bad in the world, and there was a push for German Americans to just embrace American-ness.

Perhaps they were more quickly accepted being that they were (for the most part) protestant, and fit in with American's ideals of a white nation (which, at the time, meant Northern European). Nonetheless, Germans held on to their ethnic identity for quite a while.
That's true, it really just started around when World War I happened that Germans tried to downplay their German culture and climaxed around World War II--I know a lot of people of German heritage whose families changed their names to sound more English around the period. There was actually a ton of German-language newspapers and communities--like Yorkville in Manhattan was like that until the 40s.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:31 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,204,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's true, it really just started around when World War I happened that Germans tried to downplay their German culture and climaxed around World War II--I know a lot of people of German heritage whose families changed their names to sound more English around the period. There was actually a ton of German-language newspapers and communities--like Yorkville in Manhattan was like that until the 40s.
That's true. German Americans though gave strong support to the US in both World Wars.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM

165 posts, read 151,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I also think the US Census has an anti-Anglo agenda to make it seem like the English American population is smaller than it really is and that's not fair. Their trying to make people believe in this myth that Germans are the largest ethnic group when in reality it's most likely people of English descent. Personally I don't like it when ethnic groups get undercounted. The US has a long history of doing that.
I completely agree with you! I've heard a lot of people talking about this. I can't for sure say why they are doing it, but most people I've talked with think it is to drive a wedge between US, UK, Canada, and Australia because we always stick together. Divide n conquer. Same reason for massive un-checked immigration to all these countries.

Whatever reason they do it, I think it is BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or