U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
Reputation: 9193

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I also think the US Census has an anti-Anglo agenda to make it seem like the English American population is smaller than it really is and that's not fair. Their trying to make people believe in this myth that Germans are the largest ethnic group when in reality it's most likely people of English descent. Personally I don't like it when ethnic groups get undercounted. The US has a long history of doing that.
People self report their ancestry on the Census--so all the people who report American rather than something else are doing that of their own free will. So I don't see how it's the fault of the Census.

I have English ancestors at some point--but it's so far back that I have more info about my more recent Irish and Polish ancestors that make up more of my family tree, so I'd report those over the small percentage of English heritage I know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,633 posts, read 9,625,296 times
Reputation: 15864
The USA was originally a British enclave and we took their language, law, and culture at our creation. Then we took a large number of immigrants from Germany & Ireland and later from Italy, Scandinavia and these brought with them various European cultures that meshed with the essentially British culture. The blacks were here early and have a very different culture from European. Later the Hispanics immigrated and have a different culture that they bring. And now a large number of Asians have immigrated bringing their cultural values.

So I believe their is a strong connection between Britain and the USA historically and with our language but our large immigrants over the years have brought a separation from the British culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 PM
 
Location: 'Back in the midst of a world gone mad'
165 posts, read 151,559 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
People self report their ancestry on the Census--so all the people who report American rather than something else are doing that of their own free will. So I don't see how it's the fault of the Census.

I have English ancestors at some point--but it's so far back that I have more info about my more recent Irish and Polish ancestors that make up more of my family tree, so I'd report those over the small percentage of English heritage I know about.
Even counting the ones who just marked American, the numbers from previous census data on brits, not to mention the brits who kept immigrating here during that time, the numbers just don't add up. Not even close. It caused quite the stir when the numbers were released. Many people have questioned it and don't believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Mid-Michigan by way of Northern New Hampshire
239 posts, read 278,364 times
Reputation: 322
What is interesting about our English heritage though is that a lot of colonists who came here (at least to New England) wanted away from the monarchy. The original settlers of New England wanted to be left alone and rejected when the Crown created the Dominion of New England in the late 1600s. There was only a relatively brief period in the 1700s where New Englanders had any kind of loyalty to the Crown. I don't know much about Southern settlement but I get the feeling they were generally more loyal to the Crown than New England.

If you want to know about the "ethnicities" of New England, it's hardly as British as one might expect. Heavy Irish settlement in Southern New England has resulted in the Irish being the dominant ethnicity in New England. The French are found in rural New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine, largely due to our close proximity to French Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 AM
 
350 posts, read 609,176 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post

If you want to know about the "ethnicities" of New England, it's hardly as British as one might expect. Heavy Irish settlement in Southern New England has resulted in the Irish being the dominant ethnicity in New England. The French are found in rural New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine, largely due to our close proximity to French Canada.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._-_updated.png


You're right, English ancestry is still present in New England, especially in rural parts.

Last edited by JMT; 10-23-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Mid-Michigan by way of Northern New Hampshire
239 posts, read 278,364 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post


You're right, English ancestry is still present in New England, especially in rural parts.
It always amazes me how much the Irish were actually able to take over Massachusetts. It's an amazing feat really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Reputation: 30886
It should also be noted, regarding the above maps, that most of those 'Irish' and 'Italian' marked areas are not without a significant WASP population.

Hypothetically, many of those Massachusetts counties could be 45% Irish and 40% English, followed by pockets of Italians, Polish, Af-American, etc. The same goes for western connecticut. Sure there are a lot of Italians in the region, enough to 'color the map', but if you think there aren't towns and villages full of WASPs, especially as you get away from the bigger towns near the Sound, you might be surprised. Providence on the other hand is a different story. When New Englanders (especially from Mass) dismiss western Connecticut as being non-New England, they should look a lot closer to home.

In all, I would say that New England has an intact English substrate population that in some areas has been exceeded, but not replaced, the original English founding population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,468,927 times
Reputation: 1483
OMG I can't believe the thread goes off on a debate of %'s of different ethnic group in the US even to slice through New England???
Why the world sees the US as Anglo???? That is lumped with Canada, Australia even South Africa with the UK.
Is because of the......key word....DOMINATE Culture came through.... and still is most associated with the UK????
That includes Ireland.
As I said by proxy adoption. Though not technically under the Crown??? We are as the Bastard child.
Key words again......RECOGNIZED AS PART OF THE FAMILY.
OUR LANGUAGE. KEY ASPECTS OF GOVERNMENT LIKE THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM, MUSIC. MOST OF HOLLYWOOD HAD BRITSH TRANSPLANTS EVEN TODAY.

Once Americanized ....especially second generations born here. We associate most with the UK in Culture.

I surely do not know why that is so hard to comprehend?? London today is more diverse then Most Big American cities??
Don't make it not still a Anglo Culture city now???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Mid-Michigan by way of Northern New Hampshire
239 posts, read 278,364 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It should also be noted, regarding the above maps, that most of those 'Irish' and 'Italian' marked areas are not without a significant WASP population.

Hypothetically, many of those Massachusetts counties could be 45% Irish and 40% English, followed by pockets of Italians, Polish, Af-American, etc. The same goes for western connecticut. Sure there are a lot of Italians in the region, enough to 'color the map', but if you think there aren't towns and villages full of WASPs, especially as you get away from the bigger towns near the Sound, you might be surprised. Providence on the other hand is a different story. When New Englanders (especially from Mass) dismiss western Connecticut as being non-New England, they should look a lot closer to home.

In all, I would say that New England has an intact English substrate population that in some areas has been exceeded, but not replaced, the original English founding population.
I believe I've read that New England is 15% British. Migration during the Industrial Revolution dramatically transformed the demographics of Southern New England. WASPs still exist but they're far from the dominant group in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Reputation: 30886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
I believe I've read that New England is 15% British. Migration during the Industrial Revolution dramatically transformed the demographics of Southern New England. WASPs still exist but they're far from the dominant group in New England.
Yup, that is why I described it as a substrate population. They only dominate the population in rural, lower population areas, but are not entirely absent, just small percentages, across the rest of the region.

Shoot, even according to the 1790 census, the English were a mere 60% of the population of the young United States with Scots, Germans, Dutch, Irish, and Africans making up the balance. The fact is, the English didn't leave New England so much a lot of Irish and Italians, et al. arrived.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 10-23-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top