U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:37 PM

7,134 posts, read 9,905,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yup, that is why I described it as a substrate population. They only dominate the population in rural, lower population areas, but are not entirely absent, just small percentages, across the rest of the region.

Shoot, even according to the 1790 census, the English were a mere 60% of the population of the young United States with Scots, Germans, Dutch, Irish, and Africans making up the balance. The fact is, the English didn't leave so much a lot of Irish and Italians, et al. arrived.
Which stands to reason that many White Americans, and quite a few Black Americans, have English ancestors. They just don't know it. This may be because English heritage was considered ordinary in early America, it might have been downplayed and eventually forgotten through the generations.

I can see this with my father's side of the family where they emphasize the Irish heritage and to a lesser extent the German but rarely mention the English.

The point is that I think those of English roots are vastly undercounted and many more people have English ancestors then they realize. If for nothing else then through intermarriage over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:39 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
OMG I can't believe the thread goes off on a debate of %'s of different ethnic group in the US even to slice through New England???
What can I say, statistics, for all of its flaws, is a more reliable source of information than hearsay. For those not offended by percentages, here is a map of census data re. claimed English ancestry.

For contrast, Massachussets is 23% Irish, NH 21%, CT 16.7%, VT and ME 17.5%, and RI is 18.2% Irish ancestry.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nStatePerc.png

Last edited by JMT; 10-23-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 02:42 PM

7,134 posts, read 9,905,553 times
However, I do not know why this thread became dominated by talk of how many Americans have English ancestors.

Simply put, America is a branch of the Anglo nations and has been a melting pot for different nations since the colonial era. The former Europeans, Africans and Asians who left their old nations behind and gradually became Americans who speak..... English.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,301,282 times
Ireland itself is an Anglo-Celtic culture whose main language is English. "Irish-Americans" - few of whom speak any Gaelic - are even more "Anglicized."

Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,594,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Many Americans are unaware of this, but I live in Europe and if you watch the BBC or talk to a lot of british who have never been to the US, they seem to think America is like this enclave of anglo-saxoness on the other side of the ocean, and that Americans are obsessed with their queen and with "daddy" UK and all that ridiculous stuff, the funny thing is most Americans are oblivious to the UK (I mean Americans don't dislike the UK but they're not obsessed with it either)

While the US did gain its independence from the UK, it's also true America is WAAAAYYYY too diverse to be called an anglosaxon society (as if it was part of the commonwealth and it was mostly just english descendants)

Most white Americans have GERMAN ROOTS, not british.... and the UK only colonized the 13 original colonies on the east coast, get out of there and the british influence disappears quickly.

for example what it's so british about California? (it was founded by the spaniards and it has from russian influence, to spaniard, to mexican, to native american, to asian)

what is so british about Alaska? (it was a russian colony with inuit as its original inhabitants)

What is so british about florida? louisiana?

the mid west was actually mostly colonized by France, (look at the louisiana purchase)

places like Minnesota are full of scandinavian influence

Lets not forget places like Mississippi, Alabama with its mixture of African, french and spanish roots!!!

I've spoken with british who go to New Orleans and get surprised because there is no british culture there and everything is so french looking!!!

I also met a brit who went to Texas and was surprised that food was spicy, people didnt know about the queen and they had mariachi bands like neighboring mexico

I have a friend who is a native American from Wyoming and he was told in the UK if he had latino roots because he didnt look America (I was so offended, what is looking American in the first place? looking like a brit?) seriously delusional!!

Even here there is an irish guy who gets very annoyed because in miami most people speak spanish, he was expecting perhaps that a city founded by spaniards and populated mostly by cubans would look like some UK town by the beach

It's as if they think America = UK on the other side of the pond

when in reality the US is a gigantic melting pot of cultures, religions, even languages!!! (and it has always been for pretty much most of its existence)
You have resentment against the UK.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Ireland itself is an Anglo-Celtic culture whose main language is English. "Irish-Americans" - few of whom speak any Gaelic - are even more "Anglicized."
I don't even know why you are even considering mentioning Irish people when British people are the exact same people culturally and morally.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The USA was originally a British enclave and we took their language, law, and culture at our creation. Then we took a large number of immigrants from Germany & Ireland and later from Italy, Scandinavia and these brought with them various European cultures that meshed with the essentially British culture. The blacks were here early and have a very different culture from European. Later the Hispanics immigrated and have a different culture that they bring. And now a large number of Asians have immigrated bringing their cultural values.

So I believe their is a strong connection between Britain and the USA historically and with our language but our large immigrants over the years have brought a separation from the British culture.
Honestly when I was in America I felt as though the Black people were basically the same as me/white people being christian and speaking English. To me the most distinct group in the USA are the hispanics..

Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
It always amazes me how much the Irish were actually able to take over Massachusetts. It's an amazing feat really.
Why?

Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Most Americans have German roots? I doubt it. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most have British roots. And seriously, America is quite diverse but we were once a British colony, nothing can change that. Same story with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Why do we speak English in this nation? Seriously, I don't want to sound like a jerk but America traces it's history back to England. Look at the majority of the names of cities, towns, counties, states, and rivers along the east coast, or should I just say the former 13 colonies. Most are of British origin. If you speed up southern accents, they sound more British. Some Americans still sound a little British in their accents, along the Outer Banks of North Carolina is a perfect example.
Yes this Germany nonsense is brought up every single time but the actual census data is so inaccurate. What people put down is a personal preference, often people don't actually know their heritage or have been misguided. English and Irish Americans sometimes put down just American anyway so we don't really know the true British number.

UK clearly and obviously has had more influence than Germany. I listened to the southern accents when there and they do have some of the sayings we have, like they would say yonder there.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Indeed I am not retarded! I will not give anyone the time of the day who calls me a retard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or