Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You just won the lottery...where in the USA would you live?
Chicago 11 8.27%
Phoenix 5 3.76%
Washington DC 3 2.26%
Seattle 7 5.26%
San Jose 2 1.50%
Dallas 2 1.50%
Stamford 1 0.75%
San Francisco 15 11.28%
Ventura 2 1.50%
Los Angeles 12 9.02%
Kansas City 5 3.76%
Boston 3 2.26%
Other 65 48.87%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Say you just won the state lottery. You are worth about $250 Million now. Don't have to work anymore. Could do and live where ever you want.

So....if you were mega-rich now and had the choice to live anywhere in the USA...where would you live?

Where would be your PARADISE?
We would have a motor home special made, sell almost everything we have right now, stop all ties to being a renter and go live anywhere we want in the motor home.

What we don't need to invest so we can continue to travel would more than likely be given to a couple charities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I voted "San Francisco" but actually meant south of the Bay Area. For me, Monterey, CA. 65 degrees year round, sunny days (after the fog burns off in the morning). The ocean, Yosemite, SF an hour and a half north. OK, let's buy a lotto ticket
I love that area. I'd definitely buy a home there and stay for a couple of months at a time. I have family in Oregon and Washington and it'd be nice to see them more often. Of course, if I won a massive amount of money, I'd pay my sister to retire early so she could stay at my house and travel with me.

I'd also like to have a place on the east coast--somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or upper South. Other than that, I would just rent when I traveled.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Depends on the time of year:

Winter -- Virgin Islands. Preferably aboard a 50-foot catamaran.
Spring -- Alabama/Tennessee. There's really nothing that compares to springtime in the southern Appalachians.
Summer -- Oregon Coast, Colorado, or Wyoming. Can't make up my mind here.
Fall -- New England. The foliage and lifestyle.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'd move to Hollywood, California. Maybe I could find a nice old craftsman home right in the thick of the action! Have that thing totally redone with modern appliances and all.
Have you been to Hollywood lately? It's not particularly nice, esp. "right in the thick of the action". That would be like the last place I would live if I were rich and looking at LA-area real estate.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I would probably buy a home in the valley somewhere. Like Calabasas or West Village and put the rest into retirement.
Where is West Village?

Old 10-25-2014, 09:12 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Have you been to Hollywood lately? It's not particularly nice, esp. "right in the thick of the action". That would be like the last place I would live if I were rich and looking at LA-area real estate.
My last time actually in Hollywood was about a year and a half ago. I stayed at the Days Inn around Sunset and La Brea. You probably wouldn't like my other answer either, a nice old 50's ranch home in the heart of the SV valley...Van Nuys or North Hollywood. I like to live among the common people in LA. I want to live the middle class life of a bygone era in LA, with enough wealth I could do so. When I stroll the streets of Hollywood I'd blend right in with the working class. But then come home to a nice detached home with my own yard and driveway, not crammed in an old apartment with noisy neighbors. I wouldn't live extravagantly, what little I own would be nice stuff. I'd keep my 20 year old Crown Vic as it's still in mint condition and has the new car smell. I'd take my Harley Sportster out there with me. My wealth would ensure me security more than anything, and of course keeping me teeth perfect.

Yep, it would be the good life in Hollywood. Just think of all the people you'd meet, all the tourists, or people of a more transient nature.

In the meantime I like it here in Phoenix, maybe it is a poor man's LA for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Is this a joke?
Nope

Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I'd probably stay in this area, buy this old gal, restore her and move her to a nearby lake lot
Bristol Historical Association E W King House

Old 10-25-2014, 10:39 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I don't think I can answer this. If I had that much money I'd probably get to experience a lot more in a lot more cities than I currently have.

Based on what I know now, I imagine I'd still keep my primary residence in Jax with second home in either NYC or Chicago. But I would be spending half my time in Asia anyway.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post

Yep, it would be the good life in Hollywood. Just think of all the people you'd meet, all the tourists, or people of a more transient nature.
Well you have a right to your opinion, and we all have our own preferences. It would certainly be an unusual preference though. Your neighbors would basically be tourists, drug addicts, drifters and hookers.

LA is one of my favorite cities, but I always try and avoid Hollywood. I find it horrible. It's surrounded by interesting areas, though.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:04 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Dallas? Other than jobs and cheap houses there's really nothing appealing about North Texas. I like to call it "The Indoor Capital of America" because the climate and geography are meh.

If I won that kind of scratch I'd buy a mansion in Cherry Hills Village and a summer cabin with acreage outside of Aspen.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-25-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.