U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:31 PM

610 posts, read 581,186 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity...

I live in Colorado Springs. It goes without saying that here, along with Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, SLC, Ogden, Boise, and just about everywhere in between in the intermountain west, the outdoors is an integral part of the culture. Specifically, I refer to recreation with a direct goal of physical exertion, such as hiking, mountain climbing, mountain biking, skiing in the north and on the Colorado plateau, and canyoneering and rafting in northern Arizona and Southern Utah. For this, I'm leaving out things like fishing, hunting, shooting, etc.

Anyway, for these types of physical, outdoor sports, what big (or medium) sized cities EAST of the Mississippi offer the best opportunities? I know Rapid City is solid, but that's really only east of the Rockies. This is really more out of curiosity than anything else.

Let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Without a doubt, Boone NC in my opinion. It has everything nearby and are of good quality...including skiing, hiking, mountain climbing, mountain biking, fishing, hunting and rafting/kayaking. Other worthy mentions are Asheville NC, Brevard NC, Roanoke VA, Chattanooga TN and Morgantown WV.

http://www.highcountryoutdoors.com/

Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 AM

43,228 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Chattanooga

Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
For a smaller city/area, Watertown NY has rafting on the Black River, is a short drive to the Adirondack Mountains, has the 1000 Islands and Lake Ontario in the area, fishing on the Salmon River(among other waterways) is a 30 minute drive south, Dry Hill Ski Area is just south of the city and there is plenty of land to hunt on.

I would also think that many Pennsylvania cities/areas provide options to do most or all of the things in the OP as well.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:55 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,715,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For a smaller city/area, Watertown NY has rafting on the Black River, is a short drive to the Adirondack Mountains, has the 1000 Islands and Lake Ontario in the area, fishing on the Salmon River(among other waterways) is a 30 minute drive south, Dry Hill Ski Area is just south of the city and there is plenty of land to hunt on.

I would also think that many Pennsylvania cities/areas provide options to do most or all of the things in the OP as well.
I suppose Watertown, NY has upside potential, but Asheville it ain't. The vibe there seems to me more military base town meets Rust Belt.

State College, PA is one of the few larger communities in the green middle of PA where muscle-powered recreation might outrank the hook-and-bullet crowd. While not a large city, it's big enough to have a bit of an independent professional scene apart from the college folks, and certainly larger with more economic activity than Boone.

While not as dominant as spectator sports seems to be there, Pittsburgh does have a significant outdoor recreation scene. Here is one example: https://www.ventureoutdoors.org/ It's the largest city in the Federally defined Appalachian Region, near to paddle sport and skiing venues in the Laurel Highlands mountain area just southeast, and within weekend range of the WV highlands areas and the so-called PA Wilds. There are even 2 REI stores.

Both Pittsburgh and State College are seeing increasing employment in professional support services for natural gas extraction, should that be a transferable skill from CO.

Burlington, VT is the largest city in its state, with an outdoor element to go with the hippie liberalism. It's close to cosmopolitan Montreal, too.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Why is it a foregone concluded rule that you have to have mountains to have an outdoor culture?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I suppose Watertown, NY has upside potential, but Asheville it ain't. The vibe there seems to me more military base town meets Rust Belt.

State College, PA is one of the few larger communities in the green middle of PA where muscle-powered recreation might outrank the hook-and-bullet crowd. While not a large city, it's big enough to have a bit of an independent professional scene apart from the college folks, and certainly larger with more economic activity than Boone.

While not as dominant as spectator sports seems to be there, Pittsburgh does have a significant outdoor recreation scene. Here is one example: https://www.ventureoutdoors.org/ It's the largest city in the Federally defined Appalachian Region, near to paddle sport and skiing venues in the Laurel Highlands mountain area just southeast, and within weekend range of the WV highlands areas and the so-called PA Wilds. There are even 2 REI stores.

Both Pittsburgh and State College are seeing increasing employment in professional support services for natural gas extraction, should that be a transferable skill from CO.

Burlington, VT is the largest city in its state, with an outdoor element to go with the hippie liberalism. It's close to cosmopolitan Montreal, too.
I was thinking strictly in terms of the outdoors, but it is more military/Rust belt/rural in terms of vibe. There are engineering and other professional jobs at NY Air Brake and Little Trees(car air freshener company), as well at Jefferson Community College. Keep in mind that Colorado Springs also has a military and more conservative vibe as well.

Plattsburgh is another smaller NY city that would fit and is across Lake Champlain from Burlington. Ithaca also comes to mind.

You may be interested in this, OP: Genesee River Gorge (Letchworth State Park) : Canyoneering : SummitPost

The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania : Canyoneering : SummitPost

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-22-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Stowe, VT
Bar Harbor, Maine
Martha's Vineyard
Ithaca, NY
Lake Placid, NY

Old 10-22-2014, 09:31 PM

43,228 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Why is it a foregone concluded rule that you have to have mountains to have an outdoor culture?
I think you're the only one who came to that conclusion.

The OP just happens to like mountain-related stuff. He specifically mentioned two mountain-related activities (hiking and skiing) with the other two having the word "mountain" in them: "mountain climbing" and "mountain biking."

Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Because that's the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or