U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,465,469 times

Advertisements

I would put New Hampshire in the Midwest and Connecticut in the West.
Kentucky could go to the West, and let's move Oklahoma to the Northeast.
Let's put Iowa in the South. Maybe move South Dakota there too (I mean it has South in its name, right?) Probably Michigan should go to the West.
And finally, let's put Idaho in the Northeast and New Mexico in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I would put Missouri in the south
Why would you put a state that is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country in the south?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:00 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,372,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why would you put a state that is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country in the south?
Well MO goes further south than KY does so I don't think it's an entirely outlandish notion.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 PM

781 posts, read 1,095,099 times
There are states that have a central location considered to be southern Virginia, WV, and Maryland at times

Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
I vote we get rid of stupid definitions like "Northeast" to apply to places that are vastly different from each other like Pennsylvania and Connecticut. New England becomes its own region but leaves out Southern New Hampshire and Northern Maine to be called New Massachusetts. Upstate New York and Central to Eastern Pennsylvania become their own region. NYC becomes its own region. Philly is left out because NY doesn't want it.

Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia become their own region. Baltimore is left out because Philly doesn't want it, and Philly already got rejected by NY.

The Carolinas become their own region.

Georgia and the Florida Panhandle become their own region. The Florida Peninsula becomes its own region, called Port-au-Havana.

Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi become the only full Southern States. Throw in Western Tennessee there, too. Half of Missouri becomes the South, the other half including St. Louis the Midwest. Cuz, ya know, Germans and stuff.

Louisiana is its own region. As is Texas.

West Virginia, Kentucky, and Eastern Tennessee become their own region.

The Upper Midwest becomes its own region. Except Michigan. The UP becomes part of the Upper Midwest but the Lower Peninsula becomes two countries, the western portion named New Netherlands (because they never got the memo about New York's former name) and the East Side can just be called Detroit.

Chicago is independent of Illinois. It becomes its own region. In and of itself Chicago is broken down into the honorary South and regular Chicago. Northern Illinois except the Chicago area remains the Midwest. Southern Illinois becomes part of the South. Ohio and Western PA become the same region.

The East River portion of South Dakota is kept in the Midwest. West River becomes part of the West. North Dakota stays Upper Midwest. Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa all stay in the Midwest.

Oklahoma becomes its own region.

The Southwest states should only be Arizona and New Mexico. A little bit of Nevada included there. Utah becomes its own region called Josephsmithonia.

Northern California becomes its own region. Southern California is renamed Greater Los Angeles. Except Orange County now becomes its own region, too called Disneyverse.

Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming become one region called the almost frontier.

Washington and Oregon become one region called the Pacific Northwest.

Colorado becomes its own region.

Alaska is now Russia and Hawaii becomes part of Greater Los Angeles.

In fact, Los Angeles becomes Mexico again.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 PM

153 posts, read 215,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Probably the same reason someone wants to place Florida in the Northeast...

Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM

781 posts, read 1,095,099 times
Missouri to me is kind of like Maryland its has a mixed history when it comes to being southern

Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,919,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I kind of agree with this. Missouri is not completely southern, but its more southern than Midwestern. Historically its a slave state, and while it technically stayed in the union it contributed to the confederacy. Also the confederacy claimed it. Today the area is a transistional area, but more southern than Midwestern. The far northern parts of the state tilt more toward the Midwest, but even there you can find some southern influence. The southern parts of the state, especially the bootheal are completely southern. It does make sense to move it IMO.
Mizzou is in the SEC now thou.. SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC.. we dem boyzzzzz!!!! SEC football baby.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Missouri to me is kind of like Maryland its has a mixed history when it comes to being southern

I vote we move Maryland, Kentucky, Delaware, and Missouri into a separate region of the US called Limbo.

Funny because I had a conversation with a girl who is a native Kentuckian. I asked her if she considered Kentucky the South. Her response was "well technically the South is anything south of the Mason-Dixon line". To which I replied "oh well then anything south of Pennsylvania is Southern then". To which she said "I don't actually know where exactly the Mason-Dixon line is".

Old 10-24-2014, 08:09 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,919,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I vote we move Maryland, Kentucky, Delaware, and Missouri into a separate region of the US called Limbo.

Funny because I had a conversation with a girl who is a native Kentuckian. I asked her if she considered Kentucky the South. Her response was "well technically the South is anything south of the Mason-Dixon line". To which I replied "oh well then anything south of Pennsylvania is Southern then". To which she said "I don't actually know where exactly the Mason-Dixon line is".
Its kinda funny because Western PA and Upstate NY have a lot of rednecks as well as Kentucky and West Virginia. Western PA has a lot of the same Appalachian culture that Kentucky and West Virginia does. The Upper South is nothing like the Deep South anyway. I actually agree with you on a post for the first time ever. All those stats you mentioned except for Delaware are border states between the Midwest and South or Mid Atlantic and South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or