U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I serious doubt that, no way to know how many of them are in the state plus they are transient and might go back and forth across the border especially if they live in San Diego and LA.. its a short drive.
Well they have an count/estimate of how many people in CA are illegal aliens, so you think they just don't include that in overall population stats and leave it out?

Yes I'm sure tons of illegals go back and forth since crossing the border illegally is so easy......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM

15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Plus, there are two sets of people with generally bigger egos about where they live than Californians: Texans and New Yorkers (city).
See, I used to believe this about New Yorkers, but then I met the Californians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
i hate california because im from the north east, and i dont like how cali has grown faster than us in recent years. lol. i want the crown to remain here!
Of course then this clown comes along. ;-)

Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Wow, will you look at that sunset!

It's nice, but the sunsets in California are GORGEOUS.

Mmmm. I love this weather. My favorite time of year.

Yeah, but you know in California it is always like this.

Oh, look at that waterfall. Spectacular.

I take it you have never seen Yosemite Falls?

Let me tell you about this nice little restaurant I discovered last weekend.

All the restaurants here taste like they serve canned dogfood. Nothing compares to Californian food.

Ad nauseum.

Granted not all Californians are like that, and it is an attitude not exclusive to Californians, but it is pretty darn common.
I've worked closely with SoCal companies for many years, and have spent a lot of time there. The above is pretty much my experience across the board. The state itself is beautiful. I love it. Native/classic Californians I tend to like - the ones who are comfortable in their own skin and understand the history and development of the state. But newbies are the worst people I've ever experienced in my life. Or at least right up there with Belgians. Personal experiences only count for so much I realize, but I've had a lot of experience in CA. Weeks at a time several times a year spanning a couple decades. They really do think they're living in the center of the universe, and they really think everyone else is an idiot or hick. I was so close to exploding every time I heard someone mention "the liiiifestyle." You know, the California one. The only one. "I could never live anywhere else and give up the liiiiifestyle." Puke.

To be fair, the many-gen CA locals hate these fools as much as I did.

And every single time I see this attitude from a Californian on C-D, it eventually comes out that they are non-native.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,280,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
This is ridiculous. The amount of Californians who actually cared that much about image and status, would just about be 0% if we let West LA, Hollywood and Newport Beach get swallowed up by the earth.

Also, you live in Las Vegas, a city which 1)shouldnt exist, 2)is an environmental disaster 3)a drain on our resources (water) and 4)very dependent on Californians for tourist $$.

Plus, there are two sets of people with generally bigger egos about where they live than Californians: Texans and New Yorkers (city).
Thank you for making a perfect example of what I'm talking about by trying to make this discussion about the city I live in. I understand you feel the need to put yourself above everyone else.

You do realize that a large chunk of Vegas' residents used to live in California, correct? They come here to escape the joke that is California's cost of living. So bash Vegas all you want if it makes you feel better about yourself... I like not having a state income tax and a property tax of less than one percent Not to mention housing that's 1/4 of the price that it would be in LA/SF.

The best part about my job is I get to meet people from all over the US and World everyday and just have real, unfiltered conversations with them... It gives you a great perspective on things.

Texans are proud but extremely friendly and usually have great senses of humor... Warm.
A huge majority of the people I meet from California are LA and SF people... Lots of airheads and not just the young ones, either (although I do love how much the young ones are out of touch with reality). Most feel they tower above the average US citizen.

The difference?

Texans: "Mayn, I luv thys stayte."
Californians: "God, I feel like hella sorry for your crappy state"

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,883,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I've worked closely with SoCal companies for many years, and have spent a lot of time there. The above is pretty much my experience across the board. The state itself is beautiful. I love it. Native/classic Californians I tend to like - the ones who are comfortable in their own skin and understand the history and development of the state. But newbies are the worst people I've ever experienced in my life. Or at least right up there with Belgians. Personal experiences only count for so much I realize, but I've had a lot of experience in CA. Weeks at a time several times a year spanning a couple decades. They really do think they're living in the center of the universe, and they really think everyone else is an idiot or hick. I was so close to exploding every time I heard someone mention "the liiiifestyle." You know, the California one. The only one. "I could never live anywhere else and give up the liiiiifestyle." Puke.

And every single time I see this attitude from a Californian on C-D, it eventually comes out that they are non-native.
This right here. Couldnt be more accurate. Native Californians like myself love the state with a passion, but we dont brag about it (we make great hosts though ). Most of us that grew up here tend to also fall in love with other states just as much (like my love affair with Colorado and the PNW). My parents just moved to Arizona (from SoCal) and they love it. They thought they would want to come back in a year, and now they cant stand how crowded it is here. I felt the same way after my vacation in Colorado. California is not the end all, but we tend to attract (as a state)people that have bhought into the Californian dream and cant stop raving about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,917,969 times
I love the state of California the scenery and the weather is the best in the Nation. Some native Californians drove me nuts when I was visiting in LA, SD and SF because they were complaining about everything, lot of the nation would die to have the scenery and weather California has. Yes California does have a lot of social problems with the homeless and poverty and high cost of living but if you can afford to live well in California its still the best place to live.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

I kind of wanted to point this out, that it's primarily transplants to CA that more often than not display this attitude, but I didn't want to come off as being a biased, transplant hating native. I'm glad some people notice this and can make the distinction too.

I can't blame people for hating Californian's if that is the attitude they encounter many times, I kind of hate them too lol. CA is a big mixed bag but plenty of snobby, arrogant, rude types that can leave a bad impression/opinion among others.

I think for myself and probably a lot of other natives, you grow up around all this stuff, take it for granted, and are used to it and the only reason you realize it's anything special is because others and the media point it out. But you can still appreciate what other areas have and can offer because it's different and great in their own way. Also if you have lived most or all of your life here and have a lot of family here, you've probably seen more of the state than most transplants/newcomers and know how much of the state is actually quite ugly, average, to downright depressing.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,196,282 times
So what kind of people do you guys like? Like what's a perfect person? I really want to know.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,280,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
So what kind of people do you guys like? Like what's a perfect person? I really want to know.
Well this is awkward...

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

12,684 posts, read 10,510,132 times
I don't hate Californians. I'm friends with quite a few Californians. We like to talk about differences between here and there, but there's no hating going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or