U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:51 AM

998 posts, read 882,051 times

Advertisements

Left California after living there for 35 years, the terminal hipness of the newcomer wannabees became way too much. Now living in a place with a lot of ex-Californians (southeastern VA) who feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Im a New Yorker who moved to Southern California for work.

When I watched TV and saw the images of the Fires, the Earthquakes, The Gangs, the Fake Hollywood/Marina Del Rey People I used to think "who in their right mind would want to live there?" Then I moved here and realized what a great place it is.

I love the weather, I have great friends and love that I can enjoy my favorite outdoor activities year round. I can even play on boats in the morning and go skiing in the evening during the winter months (even though I've only done it once). I love the variety of food options that are available , the diversity of the people, and the awesome scenery. I love that a lot of people do take care of themselves.

Politics? Most of this state is conservative. Orange County is a bastion of Conservative Politics. Its the Population Centers of LA and SF that give the impression that this state is liberal.

I made the mistake of moving to Missouri for two years and even though they had a few Trader Joes (you know us Californians can't live without a Trader Joes, one of which - ironically - picked up on a Huntington Beach Theme), I hated the place.

Yes California has its share of arseholes. In a state of about 40 million people you are going to have jerks.
But if you want to hear Complainers and Whiners: Philadelphia Metro (especially Atlantic City).
if you want to meet the worse pretentious and plastic people: Clayton, Missouri

May advice is to turn of your TVs and get out of the house and meet people.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 AM

13,097 posts, read 13,480,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Wow, will you look at that sunset!

It's nice, but the sunsets in California are GORGEOUS.

Mmmm. I love this weather. My favorite time of year.

Yeah, but you know in California it is always like this.

Oh, look at that waterfall. Spectacular.

I take it you have never seen Yosemite Falls?

Let me tell you about this nice little restaurant I discovered last weekend.

All the restaurants here taste like they serve canned dogfood. Nothing compares to Californian food.

Ad nauseum.

Granted not all Californians are like that, and it is an attitude not exclusive to Californians, but it is pretty darn common.
Yeah, this is pretty common. There are never any problems in California. Everything is 10x more beautiful than anywhere else, no matter what. No matter how nice the people are, sooner or later, they find time to fit in how great they think their state is. I find it similar to the way Texans see their state. There is pride, and then there is just being pompous for the sake of it. Every state has positives and negatives, and most people are perfectly content and happy with where they live. Some people really don't get that and try to sell a narrative way too hard.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I've worked closely with SoCal companies for many years, and have spent a lot of time there. The above is pretty much my experience across the board. The state itself is beautiful. I love it. Native/classic Californians I tend to like - the ones who are comfortable in their own skin and understand the history and development of the state. But newbies are the worst people I've ever experienced in my life. Or at least right up there with Belgians. Personal experiences only count for so much I realize, but I've had a lot of experience in CA. Weeks at a time several times a year spanning a couple decades. They really do think they're living in the center of the universe, and they really think everyone else is an idiot or hick. I was so close to exploding every time I heard someone mention "the liiiifestyle." You know, the California one. The only one. "I could never live anywhere else and give up the liiiiifestyle." Puke.

To be fair, the many-gen CA locals hate these fools as much as I did.

And every single time I see this attitude from a Californian on C-D, it eventually comes out that they are non-native.
I don't know, I know plenty of natives who are the same way. They are maybe less in-your-face about it, but it definitely comes out often enough to notice. They are generally very nice people and I don't think they're even aware that they do it, but it is very off-putting. It gives the impression that no one else can like where they're from nearly as much as awesome California. I'm from Ohio, and I absolutely love my state and proud to be from there. But I don't feel the need to bring it up every time someone mentions another state or place.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love the state of California the scenery and the weather is the best in the Nation. Some native Californians drove me nuts when I was visiting in LA, SD and SF because they were complaining about everything, lot of the nation would die to have the scenery and weather California has. Yes California does have a lot of social problems with the homeless and poverty and high cost of living but if you can afford to live well in California its still the best place to live.
No, it's not. It may be the best place for you or some people, but let's not make these grand claims that everyone would want to live in California if only they could. That's crap. Everyone has their own idea of what makes a place a great place to live. I couldn't give two sh*** about California's weather, which I find extremely boring. Give me four seasons.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
^I lived through this, it didn't make me hate Californians or its transplants. Although some of the ignorant questions and remarks I got about being from the Midwest made me question if they understood that the sun set on the rest of the country too.
Being from the Midwest is sometimes the worst when dealing with people from other parts of the country. So often Midwesterners are seen as backwoods farmers. I'm from a city, and a progressive one at that. I don't know anyone who even owns a farm.

The most common questions I get from the Californians I know are about food. They ask things like, "Oh, that's a Midwestern thing right?" even though the food has nothing to do with the region and is pretty well-known nationally. I get the impression they think Midwesterners only eat meatloaf and mashed potatoes. When one of my friends recently visited my hometown in Ohio, I gave him a partial list of places within walking distance from his hotel that would have decent food. He was shocked that the listed included everything from Cuban to Thai to Venezuelan. You know, because those places aren't supposed to exist there, I guess.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
If you don't like it, don't come.

Again... Just the fact that this got turned into a hate Vegas thread clearly backs up my impression of most Californians... Have to constantly talk down about other cities.

Please get off the pedestal... You're going to fall down.
To be fair, Las Vegas IS unsustainable, but so are most cities in the Southwest, including most of Southern California.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,637 times
I don't hate anybody based on where they are from.

I will say, the most vocal group of Californians are the most insufferable. Especially the Bay Area types that claim to be so open minded and live and let live all while they continually bash other places they've never actually been to.

Not to mention, I briefly worked in a customer service call center environment, and the California callers were almost always the biggest jerks. They ranged from spoiled brats to borderline schizophrenic psychopaths!

That being said, in a state that big there are plenty of good people. The jerks are just way more vocal.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
While looking into other states to move to, I keep noticing all the grumbling about Californians. I notice it from people from Texas, Oregon, Colorado, Washington, etc.

Why does it seem like Californians are universally hated? Do they really behave differently, or are people worried about their cities becoming flooded and overpopulated by Californians?

Just wondering. Thanks!
I don't know anyone who hates Californians and I do know a few people from the states you mention.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,381,846 times
Yaah-everyone does. That's based on my experience of meeting everyone, and remembering to ask them how they felt about people from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or