U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,799 times

Advertisements

Parts of California are super redneck or hillbilly. That shocked as coming from Sweden. Coastal California is not but the Inland Empire and parts of California in Central California and that area around Bakersfield can be a bit country. I would call it as bad as parts of the South and Midwest but still you can tell education is not valued in these towns and parts of California.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,141,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Maryland isn't part of the south though.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Old 03-15-2018, 04:03 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBlackhawks View Post
I feel like a lot of folks on here think that redneck and Southern are synonyms. Where in fact they're not. It's possible to be redneck and not Southern. It's also possible to be Southern and not redneck.

So, these cities, I think, are the most redneck without being Southern:
1. Bakersfield, CA
2. Tucson, AZ
3. Fort Wayne, IN
4. Spokane, WA
5. Utica, NY

Likewise, these cities, I think, are the most Southern without being redneck:
1. Charleston, SC
2. Savannah, GA
3. Lexington, KY
4. Ashville, NC
5. Chapel Hill, NC

What do y'all think?
I think the OP is an effete, prejudiced (pseud0-)"liberal", who sinks to use of the term "redneck" to stereotype anyone who doesn't subscribe to his/her "enlightened" thinking.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Parts of California are super redneck or hillbilly. That shocked as coming from Sweden. Coastal California is not but the Inland Empire and parts of California in Central California and that area around Bakersfield can be a bit country. I would call it as bad as parts of the South and Midwest but still you can tell education is not valued in these towns and parts of California.
I can vouch for this.

I grew up in the Inland Empire, and the redneckiness of the area has waned, especially over the last 20 years.

I was in Kern County this past weekend. Still as redneck as ever.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What would you say if the lower Mid-Atlantic was considered its own region? Example being New England. It's part of the Northeastern US but nobody educated on the matter really lumps NY, PA and NJ in with New England. Truly, it's its own little country, so to speak.

Virginia, Delaware and Maryland, and perhaps West Virginia as well, strike me more as its own creature these days. Apart from classic north/south.

What are your feelings on this?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,029,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Personal definitions aside, Baltimore is absolutely in the Southeastern United States.
No, it is not.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
What would you say if the lower Mid-Atlantic was considered its own region? Example being New England. It's part of the Northeastern US but nobody educated on the matter really lumps NY, PA and NJ in with New England. Truly, it's its own little country, so to speak.

Virginia, Delaware and Maryland, and perhaps West Virginia as well, strike me more as its own creature these days. Apart from classic north/south.

New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania = North Mid-Atlantic

Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia = South Mid-Atlantic

Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Mid-Atlantic is not mutually exclusive with with either the Northeast or the South.

New York is a Mid-Atlantic state in the Northeast. Virginia is a Mid-Atlantic state in the South.

This is a map of the Mid-Atlantic states that uses two shades to represent which Mid-Atlantic states are in the Northeast and which are in the South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-At...(United_States)
Understood. I could write extensive commentary on regions of the US.

The main point, though: Baltimore is not in The American South.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania = North Mid-Atlantic

Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia = South Mid-Atlantic

The Mid-Atlantic
New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
North Virginia (NOVA plus the rest of "West Virginia" that is not in Southern West Virginia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...ia?wprov=sfti1)

Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 PM

920 posts, read 1,016,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
And even the natives aren't rednecks. I mean, I guess someone who forms their opinion of the place based on Gone With the Wind might come to that conclusion, but not anyone who knows better.
Yet, there's nothing different in cultural makeup between the average white native Atlantan and Jeff Foxworthy, who also happens to be a native Atlantan and the nation's most notable Redneck.

Last edited by Aceter; 03-15-2018 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or