U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Just because WV went blue way back in the 90s does not mean it was a liberal state. A lot of socially conservative but pro-labor white Southerners used to vote for the Democrat party before the 2000s. And in 2016, far right Trump won the state with nearly 70% of the vote.
Alright I'll spell it out as simply as I can. I didn't say it was a liberal state, I said it is not one of the most red.

My message seems to be lost on you.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
The most religious states according to Pew Research

1. Alabama77%1. Mississippi77%3. Tennessee73%4. Louisiana71%5. Arkansas70%5. South Carolina70%7. West Virginia69%8. Georgia66%8. Oklahoma66%10. North Carolina65%
Most and least religious U.S. states | Pew Research Center
I wasn't talking about religion though.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:32 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Alright I'll spell it out as simply as I can. I didn't say it was a liberal state, I said it is not one of the most red.

My message seems to be lost on you.
In 2018 it is one of the most red

Old 03-17-2018, 12:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
West Virginia shifted red mostly because of Democrat's party stance on coal and guns. It is probably more fiscally liberal than the Carolinas and other red states.

West Virginia's long term Democratic Senator Robert Byrd was a big supporter of abortion rights, so I have a hard understanding how people can say WV voters are historically socially conservative.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
In 2018 it is one of the most red
Sure. That's true. If you want to talk about isolated moments, sure. In general though WV is not one of the top most crimson red states. That's really all I was addressing.

That said, more of the country was red this last election than average.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
That's right, he did switch, didn't he?

Sign o' the times for WV you could say.

I think a lot of folks want to imagine or try to lump WV in with Viginny as somehow liberal or blue bc of their similar eponymous nature, but any effort to do is futile, because in the end, it just isn't true.

WV folk are simple and basic traditional folk who by and large don't get caught up in the trendiness and zeitgeist of the democratic party.

The creation of jobs and the elected officials willing to produce them for the populous pretty much rule the voters in WV as a supreme rule. I would absolutely assert that they have one of the most Conservative state capitals of any in the union. I've spent time in Charleston. There was nothing liberal about the people ornthe culture that immediately comes to mind. As a general rule, most state capitals tend to skew blue. Such is certainly not the case in WV. Let that resonate as a microcosm of how these people think and perceive the world around them.

No, WV is conservative. Hell, even Morgantown didn't feel liberal to me.
I agree it is largely conservative. It's just not as deeply ensconced in red as states like Louisiana (barring NOLA) or Mississippi. I do speak from personal experience too.

I suppose what I consider liberal is also dependent on social standards too. It's funny you mention Morgantown, as one of my friends from WV is native to that area. While I would not call it a blue fortress, it certainly lacks a lot of the stiff-necked bigotry that tends to come with the deep red (not that liberals aren't bigoted in their own way).

For example, I would not be as afraid of Morgantown if I were flamboyantly gay as I would Meridian, Mississippi.

WV has been influenced by its northern neighbors as well, which is something the Dixie-land south isn't quite as subject to outside of urban centers.

I'd hesitate to consider Wheeling highly southern-conservative, for example. More of a moderate atmosphere.

I could wager a guess that my perspective is a bit unique as I grew up in a generally liberal state and spent a long time living in a generally conservative one; further, the people I lived with in both states were in opposition to the stereotype in their beliefs and politics. My family, all northerners, are very religious and conservative. My friends from Louisiana are very liberal, though thankfully they never got bit by the SJW bug.

That odd set of circumstances in my personal life has certainly colored what I consider red and blue in practice, socially.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
West Virginia shifted red mostly because of Democrat's party stance on coal and guns. It is probably more fiscally liberal than the Carolinas and other red states.

West Virginia's long term Democratic Senator Robert Byrd was a big supporter of abortion rights, so I have a hard understanding how people can say WV voters are historically socially conservative.
It seems like WV was always a socially conservative state, but they used to vote Democrat for labor reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Sure. That's true. If you want to talk about isolated moments, sure. In general though WV is not one of the top most crimson red states. That's really all I was addressing.

That said, more of the country was red this last election than average.
WV has gone red every time since 2000 and has been very red since 2008, if not earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
That's right, he did switch, didn't he?

Sign o' the times for WV you could say.

I think a lot of folks want to imagine or try to lump WV in with Viginny as somehow liberal or blue bc of their similar eponymous nature, but any effort to do is futile, because in the end, it just isn't true.

WV folk are simple and basic traditional folk who by and large don't get caught up in the trendiness and zeitgeist of the democratic party.

The creation of jobs and the elected officials willing to produce them for the populous pretty much rule the voters in WV as a supreme rule. I would absolutely assert that they have one of the most Conservative state capitals of any in the union. I've spent time in Charleston. There was nothing liberal about the people ornthe culture that immediately comes to mind. As a general rule, most state capitals tend to skew blue. Such is certainly not the case in WV. Let that resonate as a microcosm of how these people think and perceive the world around them.

No, WV is conservative. Hell, even Morgantown didn't feel liberal to me.
Yes he did switch, and I doubt he was a real Democrat in the first place.

And really, a state where Trump is very popular is not moderate at all. The vast majority of WV voters are conservatives.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:00 PM

A majority of West Virginians weren't socially conservative if they voted for pro-choice Democrats like Byrd. Byrd was a full spectrum liberal. He was praised and eulogized by Obama and the Clintons when he died. Byrd's name is on almost everything in West Virginia.

West Virginia like other southern states has shifted to the right as it has become more middle class and obviously the Democrat party's anti-coal stance is a huge problem is a coal state.

I always see liberals accusing conservatives of bigotry on here but the bigotry of the past was associated with the Democratic party. It was the party of slavery, Civil War, KKK, lynching and segregation.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-17-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 02:24 PM

I saw DJT won a majority of white college educated voters....yet you see people try to associate southern Trump voters with a lack of education.

I know Hillary dominated in the poor areas of SC.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I saw DJT won a majority of white college educated voters....yet you see people try to associate southern Trump voters with a lack of education.

I know Hillary dominated in the poor areas of SC.
I honestly wouldn't expect a white, rural/suburban Southerner who graduated college in 1972 to be liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or