U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I wasn't talking about religion though.
Sorry Cookie, I must have quoted you instead of the person who asked about religion.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:18 PM

7,589 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I honestly wouldn't expect a white, rural/suburban Southerner who graduated college in 1972 to be liberal
When the south was racist, it supported fiscally liberal politicians like FDR and Robert Byrd. Byrd was pro-choice, not socially conservative.

I've noticed that a lot of liberals think liberals can't be racist, and somehow conservativism = racism. That's a partisan assertion, not a fact.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:37 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,741,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
I read this response very closely, and in the end, I have to say, I agree with virtually everything here. ^^This is definitely a guy who knows the overall personality of WV as a state.

Agree re Meridian vs. Morgantown for a gay dude, but then, you're comparing M-Town to a Deep South college town, so all is relative. Morgantown, to me, was one of the least liberal feeling major uni towns I've been to, and I've been to a multitude in my travels. But no, it's no Meridian. Closer to an Oxford I'd say.

Agree there is an undeniable northern influence on these people in WV. While it has shades of the south for sure, they are only "shades". There is definitely a more modern underlying northern attribute amonst them.

Funny you mention Wheeling. I spent a month out there last year. While I'm sure you'd agree it is most likely the northernmost town with true elements of the south in probably the entire country, it definitely is no conservative southern town. It's a very odd cocktail of folks in Wheeling. Extremely hard to characterize. A wee bit of everything I'd say, with a decidedly red lean.
I love West Virginia. One of my favorite states, honestly. Sure it has troubles, but literally no state is perfect, and despite the stereotype WV is FAR from being the worst. In life, you have to love something, warts and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Sorry Cookie, I must have quoted you instead of the person who asked about religion.
No problem!

Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,714,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I love West Virginia. One of my favorite states, honestly. Sure it has troubles, but literally no state is perfect, and despite the stereotype WV is FAR from being the worst. In life, you have to love something, warts and all.

The only state that could possibly be worse than WV, objectively, is Mississippi.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
The only state that could possibly be worse than WV, objectively, is Mississippi.
Depends on what you want out of life. I'd say it's entirely subjective all around.

For me there are worse for what I value.

WV has a fractured economy but in general it's beautiful and full of very pleasant people. No state is without a drug problem.

Personally I'd rather be there than Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, lower New England, Florida, lower Michigan, New Jersey, South Carolina or Mississippi.

I don't aspire to much in terms of material wealth. Just what I need to be relatively happy and alive. I'd take a decent trailer in the hills of WV over a mansion in Rhode Island.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:59 PM

950 posts, read 539,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
When the south was racist, it supported fiscally liberal politicians like FDR and Robert Byrd. Byrd was pro-choice, not socially conservative.

I've noticed that a lot of liberals think liberals can't be racist, and somehow conservativism = racism. That's a partisan assertion, not a fact.
Unfortunately, conservatism has been conflated with racism (and guns and evangelicals) due to the whole Trump "package." Before, conservatism was associated with William F. Buckley, the Brookings Institute,and that sort of thing; certainly not a negative aspect back then; just a political leaning.

I suppose liberals can be racists, it is not something that I have thought about. I googled the term "Liberal racist" and came up with this article, among others....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/georg...b_8068136.html

Good comment!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Unfortunately, conservatism has been conflated with racism (and guns and evangelicals) due to the whole Trump "package." Before, conservatism was associated with William F. Buckley, the Brookings Institute,and that sort of thing; certainly not a negative aspect back then; just a political leaning.

I suppose liberals can be racists, it is not something that I have thought about. I googled the term "Liberal racist" and came up with this article, among others....

Good comment!
Most liberal racists are black.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 AM

7,589 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post

Good comment!
Um, there have been some liberals conflating conservatism with racism long before Trump.

It makes sense to associate conservatism with guns given they are pro 2nd amendment. A majority of evangelicals are Republican voters so that makes sense as well although you don't have to evangelical or a Christian to be a Republican.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-19-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 AM

13,222 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I saw DJT won a majority of white college educated voters....yet you see people try to associate southern Trump voters with a lack of education.
What's interesting to me is that the biggest demographic split that favored Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election was NOT...

White versus non-white
Male versus female
Christian versus non-Christian
Straight versus LGBT
Upper-income versus lower-income (in fact, income exhibited the weakest correlation)
Non-college-educated versus college-educated

...but rather, married versus not married. I've been looking all morning for the data, but I remember reading not long after the election that Trump won a plurality of married Asian men -- I forget the exact numbers, but it was a plurality and a slim margin -- and also won 24% of married black men. Even among women, there was a significant margin between women who were married and women who were not. By comparison, he only won 3% of single black women, which was his worst combined demographic of all.

Also worth noting is that Trump won 57% of all white voters, versus Mitt Romney winning 59%, which means that Trump had a more diverse crowd voting for him than Romney did. On top of that, Trump's margin of victory among white voters was only 1% more than Romney's, so it was racial and ethnic minorities who made the difference between Romney losing and Trump winning. Also compelling is the fact that Trump won the independent vote by a comfortable margin, which calls into serious question the idea that one had to be a narrow-minded bigot in order to vote for him.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 AM

950 posts, read 539,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
What's interesting to me is that the biggest demographic split that favored Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election was NOT...

White versus non-white
Male versus female
Christian versus non-Christian
Straight versus LGBT
Upper-income versus lower-income (in fact, income exhibited the weakest correlation)
Non-college-educated versus college-educated

...but rather, married versus not married. I've been looking all morning for the data, but I remember reading not long after the election that Trump won a plurality of married Asian men -- I forget the exact numbers, but it was a plurality and a slim margin -- and also won 24% of married black men. Even among women, there was a significant margin between women who were married and women who were not. By comparison, he only won 3% of single black women, which was his worst combined demographic of all.

Also worth noting is that Trump won 57% of all white voters, versus Mitt Romney winning 59%, which means that Trump had a more diverse crowd voting for him than Romney did. On top of that, Trump's margin of victory among white voters was only 1% more than Romney's, so it was racial and ethnic minorities who made the difference between Romney losing and Trump winning. Also compelling is the fact that Trump won the independent vote by a comfortable margin, which calls into serious question the idea that one had to be a narrow-minded bigot in order to vote for him.
Trump had a message that appealed to people, as to what he could do for them personally. The Democrats did not have a very coherent message, plus (to me) they were skewing to corporate and wall street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or