U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 PM
_OT

2,141 posts, read 1,517,587 times

Advertisements

There's a LOT of Southern cities that aren't Redneck, good luck finding a Country joint in Birmingham or Memphis.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, not seeing it in Utica and I live less than an hour away. Country music may be popular outside of the cities/urbanized areas in Upstate NY, but the cities themselves aren't going to have too many "rednecks". Utica is a very Italian city/area with substantial Black, Hispanic and Asian communities that are all individually diverse themselves. That is due to being a major refugee resettlement city, as are other Upstate NY cities.

You've just proved my point about York in terms of maybe parts of the rural parts outside of the city. Cities in Central PA are a different story.

Also, is country music a requirement for being a "redneck"?
I'll just leave these here...

Allentown

59% white
13% black
2% Asian
5% multiracial
43% Hispanic

Bethlehem

76% white
7% black
3% Asian
3% multiracial
24% Hispanic

Camp Hill

89% white
2% black
7% Asian
2% multiracial
3% Hispanic

Carlisle

84% white
8% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
5% Hispanic

Chambersburg

77% white
9% black
1% Asian
4% multiracial
16% Hispanic

East Stroudsburg

79% white
11% black
3% Asian
3% multiracial
12% Hispanic

Easton

67% white
17% black
2% Asian
5% multiracial
20% Hispanic

Gettysburg

85% white
6% black
2% Asian
3% multiracial
11% Hispanic

Harrisburg

31% white
52% black
4% Asian
5% multiracial
18% Hispanic

Hazleton

69% white
4% black
1% Asian
3% multiracial
37% Hispanic

Lancaster

55% white
16% black
3% Asian
6% multiracial
39% Hispanic

Lebanon

74% white
6% black
1% Asian
3% multiracial
32% Hispanic

Lewisburg

90% white
3% black
3% Asian
2% multiracial
4% Hispanic

Middletown

84% white
8% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
6% Hispanic

Mifflintown

87% white
1% black
0% Asian
4% multiracial
17% Hispanic

New Holland

88% white
3% black
3% Asian
2% multiracial
8% Hispanic

Reading

48% white
13% black
1% Asian
6% multiracial
58% Hispanic

Scranton

84% white
5% black
3% Asian
3% multiracial
10% Hispanic

Shenandoah

86% white
2% black
0% Asian
3% multiracial
17% Hispanic

State College

83% white
4% black
10% Asian
2% multiracial
4% Hispanic

Steelton

49% white
38% black
1% Asian
6% multiracial
15% Hispanic

Stroudsburg

77% white
11% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
14% Hispanic

West Reading

78% white
9% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
18% Hispanic

Wilkes-Barre

79% white
11% black
1% Asian
3% multiracial
11% Hispanic

Williamsport

81% white
14% black
1% Asian
4% multiracial
3% Hispanic

York

51% white
28% black
1% Asian
6% multiracial
29% Hispanic

NOTE: The above are figures are from the 2010 Census, and the white, black, Asian and multiracial figures do NOT exclude Hispanics.

Here's a map highlighting every county in Pennsylvania west of the Philadelphia metropolitan area and east of the Allegheny Front:

In 2010, the counties highlighted had a combined population of 4,859,090. Of those 4,859,090 people, 4,120,815 were non-Hispanic white, which means that 738,275 were non-white and/or Hispanic. To put this in perspective, if you took all the non-white and/or Hispanic residents in the counties highlighted and put them in their own metropolitan area, you would have the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Pennsylvania, behind only Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Allentown/Bethlehem. Or, if you took them and put them in their own county, you would have the fourth-most populous county in Pennsylvania, behind only Philadelphia, Allegheny and Montgomery.

Bear in mind that this does not include the Philadelphia metropolitan area at all, nor does it include Allegheny County either, which means that the counties highlighted are entirely in what's supposedly Lily-White Redneckville, and yet, 15.2% of the population in the counties highlighted was non-white and/or Hispanic in 2010. Now, if one out of every six or seven people in a given area is non-white and/or Hispanic, then it really doesn't qualify as lily-white after all. Also bear in mind that all the figures I've presented in this post are from 2010, so the non-white and Hispanic populations have only increased in the seven years since.

By the way, if Pennsylvania outside of the Philadelphia metropolitan area is now the epicenter of the redneck universe the way people on this God-forsaken website pretend it is, and non-whites and Hispanics live in terror every day that white people might wave Confederate flags in their faces or burn crosses on their lawns, then why are the non-white and Hispanic populations growing so rapidly in the counties highlighted? I mean, everything in Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia is just Biglerville writ large, isn't it? On a related note, how is it acceptable to conflate a borough with nine hundred-thousandths of one percent of the population of an entire Commonwealth for the entire population of said Commonwealth outside of its largest metropolitan area? That's just never made sense to me. I might as well use Twentynine Palms to judge all of California outside of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

P.S. If everybody around you is an *******, then you're the *******.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,253,307 times
Although I like Ohio as a whole, something that irritates me is that some residents of that love to make fun of Kentucky, West Virginia, and to a smaller extent, Pennsylvania by calling them rednecks. They like to make fun of Michigan too, but it's mostly football related. My own family endured it when they moved there. It wasn't good natured fun either; it was very mean spirited. I even heard it when I was working in Columbus.

But some of the biggest rednecks I have met were from Ohio, born and raised with no roots to the above mentioned states.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:49 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Although I like Ohio as a whole, something that irritates me is that some residents of that love to make fun of Kentucky, West Virginia, and to a smaller extent, Pennsylvania by calling them rednecks.
You've noticed this too, I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
My own family endured it when they moved there. It wasn't good natured fun either; it was very mean spirited. I even heard it when I was working in Columbus.
Per my own direct experience and observation, the closer you get to Cleveland, the more mean-spirited and contemptuous it becomes, and it's gotten worse with time in Columbus as well. It's not really a problem in Cincinnati, though, and it doesn't seem to be a problem in Toledo either, from what I can tell. If anything, Cincinnati gets held in the same contempt by Cleveland that Pittsburgh does.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times
I'd put places like Houston, Galveston Dallas, San Antonio, and much of South Texas on the non-Redneck list long before quite a few places people have been naming so far (i.e. Huntsville, Midland).

Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,510,531 times
A lot of places throughout Florida are like this. You will find people doing redneckish stuff but you find out they or their parents are from Michigan, New York, etc.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:34 AM

7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
if you live in the south, you are a Southerner.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,510,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
if you live in the south, you are a Southerner.
And no.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 AM

2,780 posts, read 1,624,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I'll just leave these here...

Allentown

59% white
13% black
2% Asian
5% multiracial
43% Hispanic

Bethlehem

76% white
7% black
3% Asian
3% multiracial
24% Hispanic

Camp Hill

89% white
2% black
7% Asian
2% multiracial
3% Hispanic

Carlisle

84% white
8% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
5% Hispanic

Chambersburg

77% white
9% black
1% Asian
4% multiracial
16% Hispanic

East Stroudsburg

79% white
11% black
3% Asian
3% multiracial
12% Hispanic

Easton

67% white
17% black
2% Asian
5% multiracial
20% Hispanic

Gettysburg

85% white
6% black
2% Asian
3% multiracial
11% Hispanic

Harrisburg

31% white
52% black
4% Asian
5% multiracial
18% Hispanic

Hazleton

69% white
4% black
1% Asian
3% multiracial
37% Hispanic

Lancaster

55% white
16% black
3% Asian
6% multiracial
39% Hispanic

Lebanon

74% white
6% black
1% Asian
3% multiracial
32% Hispanic

Lewisburg

90% white
3% black
3% Asian
2% multiracial
4% Hispanic

Middletown

84% white
8% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
6% Hispanic

Mifflintown

87% white
1% black
0% Asian
4% multiracial
17% Hispanic

New Holland

88% white
3% black
3% Asian
2% multiracial
8% Hispanic

Reading

48% white
13% black
1% Asian
6% multiracial
58% Hispanic

Scranton

84% white
5% black
3% Asian
3% multiracial
10% Hispanic

Shenandoah

86% white
2% black
0% Asian
3% multiracial
17% Hispanic

State College

83% white
4% black
10% Asian
2% multiracial
4% Hispanic

Steelton

49% white
38% black
1% Asian
6% multiracial
15% Hispanic

Stroudsburg

77% white
11% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
14% Hispanic

West Reading

78% white
9% black
2% Asian
4% multiracial
18% Hispanic

Wilkes-Barre

79% white
11% black
1% Asian
3% multiracial
11% Hispanic

Williamsport

81% white
14% black
1% Asian
4% multiracial
3% Hispanic

York

51% white
28% black
1% Asian
6% multiracial
29% Hispanic

NOTE: The above are figures are from the 2010 Census, and the white, black, Asian and multiracial figures do NOT exclude Hispanics.

Here's a map highlighting every county in Pennsylvania west of the Philadelphia metropolitan area and east of the Allegheny Front:

In 2010, the counties highlighted had a combined population of 4,859,090. Of those 4,859,090 people, 4,120,815 were non-Hispanic white, which means that 738,275 were non-white and/or Hispanic. To put this in perspective, if you took all the non-white and/or Hispanic residents in the counties highlighted and put them in their own metropolitan area, you would have the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Pennsylvania, behind only Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Allentown/Bethlehem. Or, if you took them and put them in their own county, you would have the fourth-most populous county in Pennsylvania, behind only Philadelphia, Allegheny and Montgomery.

Bear in mind that this does not include the Philadelphia metropolitan area at all, nor does it include Allegheny County either, which means that the counties highlighted are entirely in what's supposedly Lily-White Redneckville, and yet, 15.2% of the population in the counties highlighted was non-white and/or Hispanic in 2010. Now, if one out of every six or seven people in a given area is non-white and/or Hispanic, then it really doesn't qualify as lily-white after all. Also bear in mind that all the figures I've presented in this post are from 2010, so the non-white and Hispanic populations have only increased in the seven years since.

By the way, if Pennsylvania outside of the Philadelphia metropolitan area is now the epicenter of the redneck universe the way people on this God-forsaken website pretend it is, and non-whites and Hispanics live in terror every day that white people might wave Confederate flags in their faces or burn crosses on their lawns, then why are the non-white and Hispanic populations growing so rapidly in the counties highlighted? I mean, everything in Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia is just Biglerville writ large, isn't it? On a related note, how is it acceptable to conflate a borough with nine hundred-thousandths of one percent of the population of an entire Commonwealth for the entire population of said Commonwealth outside of its largest metropolitan area? That's just never made sense to me. I might as well use Twentynine Palms to judge all of California outside of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Oh good lord........I'm just going to end this by saying, Spend a day In York or Lancaster country and tell me there aren't a large number of rednecks there.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 AM

1,558 posts, read 743,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

I think another interesting data point for the cities you've listed would be the non-Hispanic white percentage, which would be lower than the overall white proportion. And in addition to the time that has elapsed since the 2010 census, there is a large difference between the younger and older age groups. As an example, cities that are 80% white overall may be just 70% non-Hispanic white for the general population, and 55% for residents under age 18. So the diversity levels in non-Philadelphia metro central and eastern Pennsylvania (like in much of the nation) are set to keep increasing in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or