U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 AM

56,535 posts, read 80,824,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think another interesting data point for the cities you've listed would be the non-Hispanic white percentage, which would be lower than the overall white proportion. And in addition to the time that has elapsed since the 2010 census, there is a large difference between the younger and older age groups. As an example, cities that are 80% white overall may be just 70% non-Hispanic white for the general population, and 55% for residents under age 18. So the diversity levels in non-Philadelphia metro central and eastern Pennsylvania (like in much of the nation) are set to keep increasing in the future.
Yes, people may not realize that some Black, Hispanic and even Asians in the Bos-Wash portion of the Northeast have just moved to interior cities/parts of PA, NY, MA or even to some places in VT, NH and ME.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:17 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Lol I'd wear a "Hillary for Prison" t. shirt and I'm not redneck at all. Hell, I'm not conservative either!
Well, you're in Texas. Almost every Texan outside of Austin has a shirt like that.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:15 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Oh good lord........I'm just going to end this by saying, Spend a day In York or Lancaster country and tell me there aren't a large number of rednecks there.
I've been to both York and Lancaster, son, so I'm perfectly qualified to inform you that despite their redneck populations, they're still no more redneck than other similarly-sized non-Southern metropolitan areas that I've spent meaningful time in, like Youngstown, Canton, Dayton, Des Moines, or any of the metropolitan areas in central Illinois. So no, you're not ending this; I am, because I have an actual basis for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think another interesting data point for the cities you've listed would be the non-Hispanic white percentage, which would be lower than the overall white proportion. And in addition to the time that has elapsed since the 2010 census, there is a large difference between the younger and older age groups. As an example, cities that are 80% white overall may be just 70% non-Hispanic white for the general population, and 55% for residents under age 18. So the diversity levels in non-Philadelphia metro central and eastern Pennsylvania (like in much of the nation) are set to keep increasing in the future.
I noted at the bottom of the list that the white, black, Asian and multiracial percentages did not exclude Hispanics. I probably should have emphasized that more, though.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:18 PM

2,785 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I've been to both York and Lancaster, son, so I'm perfectly qualified to inform you that despite their redneck populations, they're still no more redneck than other similarly-sized non-Southern metropolitan areas that I've spent meaningful time in, like Youngstown, Canton, Dayton, Des Moines, or any of the metropolitan areas in central Illinois. So no, you're not ending this; I am, because I have an actual basis for comparison.

I noted at the bottom of the list that the white, black, Asian and multiracial percentages did not exclude Hispanics. I probably should have emphasized that more, though.
Yeah expect the places you listed also have a pretty substantial number of rednecks.......

Old 03-11-2017, 04:19 PM

406 posts, read 287,937 times
Southern but not redneck:

Miami
El Paso
Austin
Tuscon
Atlanta

Redneck but not southern

Central rural parts of PA/OH/IN/IL
A lot of Upstate NY

Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 PM

29,890 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post

Miami
El Paso
Austin
Tuscon
Atlanta

Redneck but not southern

A lot of Upstate NY

Old 03-11-2017, 06:52 PM

56,535 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post

Miami
El Paso
Austin
Tuscon
Atlanta

Redneck but not southern

A lot of Upstate NY
I don't know about "A lot of Upstate NY". Again, some rural areas, sure, but most people live in an urbanized area in Upstate NY.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 PM

305 posts, read 238,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't know what a redneck is how would one define such a thing? Natives of the South claim to know the difference between a redneck and a hillbilly? I still have no clue. I was born and raised in MA around Boston but my lived in the South for most of my adult life in AL, KY, FL, TX and get along with almost everyone just fine. I love the South, the cost of living is way cheaper than the Northeast, the people are more outgoing and friendly which fits into my extravert nature. The weather is better, its more mild most of the year.. except the summers suck.. too hot and humid but the rest of the year is pretty nice. I love the South, most my family moved from MA or NY to Atlanta and Nashville so they are close by to me in Kentucky. I have not had too many bad experiences with rural southern people.. even being from Boston I usually get along with almost everyone one of them. People just stereotype the south from what they see in Hollywood movies.
My uncle, who is from the south, once told me that rednecks live in trailers and hillbilly's live in cabins. Redneck is one of those of things that is hard to define, but everyone knows one when they see them,

Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
My uncle, who is from the south, once told me that rednecks live in trailers and hillbilly's live in cabins. Redneck is one of those of things that is hard to define, but everyone knows one when they see them,
I've always thought redneck meant an utter lack of sophistication. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know about "A lot of Upstate NY". Again, some rural areas, sure, but most people live in an urbanized area in Upstate NY.
Rural Broome County feels rednecky for sure. I would guess that it's the same thing for all of rural, Appalachian, New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or