Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Southern but not Redneck doesn't exactly come to mind when considering that the vast majority of white native Atlantans are Protestant "old stock " Anglo Americans.
That’s the thing, the majority of Atlantans are not native.

You’ve obviously never been to Atlanta.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:07 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
That’s the thing, the majority of Atlantans are not native.

You’ve obviously never been to Atlanta.
And even the natives aren't rednecks. I mean, I guess someone who forms their opinion of the place based on Gone With the Wind might come to that conclusion, but not anyone who knows better.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:49 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Baltimore is not Southern. It is Mid-Atlantic.

The American South
Georgia
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Tennessee
North Carolina
Louisiana
Arkansas (including Missouri south of U.S. Route 60)
Kentucky (minus Cincinnati suburbs, including Missouri Bootheel)
North Florida (north of Orlando)
South Virginia (from just north of Charlottesville on southward, including most of Shenandoah Valley and the part of West Virginia south of Charleston...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_West_Virginia)

Capital of The American South: Atlanta

The Deep South
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Georgia
North Florida
Sisters of the Deep South: West Tennessee, The Arkansas Delta, and The Azalea Coast of North Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Tennessee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Delta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Fear_(region)
I was born and raised in Baltimore, I know if it's southern or not.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
And even the natives aren't rednecks. I mean, I guess someone who forms their opinion of the place based on Gone With the Wind might come to that conclusion, but not anyone who knows better.
Yes.

Southern, White, and Protestant does not equal "Redneck." As if.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I was born and raised in Baltimore, I know if it's southern or not.
It ain't Southern.

I am a Southerner--I know the boundaries and culture of my ancestral homeland.

Last edited by aries4118; 03-14-2018 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,470 times
I'm from Mississippi and I can say with absolute certainty that Baltimore is not the South. And my definition is fairly lenient too - MS, AL, AR, TN, GA, SC, NC, North FL, KY, LA, VA, South MO, and most of OK, TX, and WV.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBlackhawks View Post
I feel like a lot of folks on here think that redneck and Southern are synonyms. Where in fact they're not. It's possible to be redneck and not Southern. It's also possible to be Southern and not redneck.

So, these cities, I think, are the most redneck without being Southern:
1. Bakersfield, CA
2. Tucson, AZ
3. Fort Wayne, IN
4. Spokane, WA
5. Utica, NY

Likewise, these cities, I think, are the most Southern without being redneck:
1. Charleston, SC
2. Savannah, GA
3. Lexington, KY
4. Ashville, NC
5. Chapel Hill, NC

What do y'all think?
If being gay means you are not redneck; your list is probably right.

What most of the country calls "redneck" is a different redneck than the real redneck farmer who gets the redneck when working on the farm. Redneck is the mark of a true American hard-working land owner. Anyone should be proud of being a redneck. Alcoholic beverages, playing cards, nor gambling were allowed in my redneck home when I was growing up. And yes, we were Baptist.

I have always wondered why a person would want to point out what they think makes them better than others? Could it maybe come from realizing your own shortcomings. When you accept yourself and the life you live, there is no reason to try to put down others. Our family was hard-working, fun-loving, happy-go-lucky, caring people and pillars of the community.

Trying to say that some people are not acceptable is the best way in the world to end up with a mass shooter. Trying to stop mass shooters with gun control will never work. Love, acceptance and understanding will make a difference.

Last edited by NCN; 03-14-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Yes.

Southern, White, and Protestant does not equal "Redneck." As if.
Exactly. On the flip side, I'm sure there are some Italian-American rednecks in West Virginia and PA.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:58 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Redneck but not Southern - that's pretty much the definition of the Lower Midwest (which often gets lumped with the Upper South but are still separate entities).

So basically that's most of rural Missouri, southern Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Heck, maybe even southern Michigan too.
To your list of redneck but not southern I would add all of Wisconsin and all of Michigan. In the northeast I would add most of Maine, a good chunk of upper New York and western PA. Also out west we have Montana and Wyoming....cowboy redneck.

Southern and not redneck....all of Florida outside the panhandle, New Orleans, Atlanta and Asheville. Nothing redneck about those places.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Honestly it's just another rural vs. urban divide. There are exceptions perhaps, but rural America and Canada are overall pretty redneck, in some way, in all of its various definitions. Rednecks are just called something different in differing regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.