Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes your right, the “Deep South” simply is a term to differentiate the lowland coastal south from the mountain and upland south.
If that's true then it makes no sense to separate SC from NC and VA. SC's geography is similar to NC and Va.

It seems to me people are using 'Deep South' and 'Southern' to describe conservative politics. I would recommend just saying conservative rather than using a geographic expression.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
If that's true then it makes no sense to separate SC from NC and VA. SC's geography is similar to NC and Va.
Look at a map, What's directly west of most of SC? Georgia, not Tennesee, not Virginia, not Kentucky, not North Carolina. Georgia.

Georgia is often considered a deep south state, if not in total then at least south of the mountains.

There you go. That's the logic. It's directional. Maine and Minnesota are both "far north" but that doesn't mean Maine isn't part of New England.

Directional. Nothing much else to it.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:47 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

It seems to me people are using 'Deep South' and 'Southern' to describe conservative politics. I would recommend just saying conservative rather than using a geographic expression.
I live in Tennessee, a very conservative southern state. It is every bit as conservative as South Carolina, more conservative than Georgia. Arkansas to our west is just as conservative. Tennessee and Arkansas are Upper South States, or upland south depending on your terminology. The difference between upper south and Deep South are more about differences in geography and proximity to the coast vs the presence of highlands and mountains. I am not sure the Deep South is any different politically than the upper south. The South as a whole is overwhelmingly conservative and religious. There are some cities that are exceptions but there is a reason this is called red state America.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:47 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
I live in Tennessee, a very conservative southern state. It is every bit as conservative as South Carolina, more conservative than Georgia. Arkansas to our west is just as conservative. Tennessee and Arkansas are Upper South States, or upland south depending on your terminology. The difference between upper south and Deep South are more about differences in geography and proximity to the coast vs the presence of highlands and mountains. I am not sure the Deep South is any different politically than the upper south. The South as a whole is overwhelmingly conservative and religious. There are some cities that are exceptions but there is a reason this is called red state America.
West Virginia is the Northernmost Southern state and is one of the most conservative states in the entire country. I'm not sure if it's that religious, but it is very heavily Republican voting.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
West Virginia is the Northernmost Southern state and is one of the most conservative states in the entire country. I'm not sure if it's that religious, but it is very heavily Republican voting.
What? No. WV is more liberal than you think. It's not a blue bastion or anything, but there have been times where WV was blue when Ohio was red.

Compared to some southern states WV is really moderate. In no way is it one of the MOST red states.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Welp, ya talk a right pretty game there Cookie, but let me just point out to everyone here on the board, that besides OK, WV was the -only- other state in the Union to have every single county within its boundaries vote Trump.

So uh, yea, it is, -very- conservative on the whole.

Now less so than much of the deep south or plains areas? Sure thing. They have a blue gub'ner after all, but then, he's a homer who is deeply steeped in the local culture and language so to speak. WV is quite red nonetheless. And this is coming from someone who has spent considerable time all over the State. There are liberals there to be sure, but it's a quite rare happenstance to run into one as you traverse the different areas of the state.
Well as I said, it's not a blue bastion. It's certainly is not one of the most red states, however; which is what the poster I replied to said about it.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, it's azure-liberal compared to rural Louisiana. In fact, I knew several people down there who considered the Virginias to both be in direct league with the "damn yankees".

Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
It is a common label applied to uneducated, working class (employed or not) rural whites. Most dictionary definitions try to say it refers to in a derogatory way to poor residents of the southern US. The term seems to have been rehabilitated in recent decades to refer to hard-working but uneducated rural laborers -- not confined to the south. It is not unusual to hear someone describe themselves as "Redneck". The term Redneck has been normalized by country music and popular culture.

In contrast, a much more derogatory term, "white trash", has almost the same dictionary meaning and also seems to focus on southern poor white culture and has not been normalized in country music or common usage. The more derogatory aspects of what was once "Redneck" probably have transferred to "white trash" as "Redneck" came into more common usage.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:30 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What? No. WV is more liberal than you think. It's not a blue bastion or anything, but there have been times where WV was blue when Ohio was red.

Compared to some southern states WV is really moderate. In no way is it one of the MOST red states.
The most religious states according to Pew Research

1. Alabama77%1. Mississippi77%3. Tennessee73%4. Louisiana71%5. Arkansas70%5. South Carolina70%7. West Virginia69%8. Georgia66%8. Oklahoma66%10. North Carolina65%
Most and least religious U.S. states | Pew Research Center

Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Just because WV went blue way back in the 90s does not mean it was a liberal state. A lot of socially conservative but pro-labor white Southerners used to vote for the Democrat party before the 2000s. And in 2016, far right Trump won the state with nearly 70% of the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
Welp, ya talk a right pretty game there Cookie, but let me just point out to everyone here on the board, that besides OK, WV was the -only- other state in the Union to have every single county within its boundaries vote Trump.

So uh, yea, it is, -very- conservative on the whole.

Now less so than much of the deep south or plains areas? Sure thing. They have a blue gub'ner after all, but then, he's a homer who is deeply steeped in the local culture and language so to speak. WV is quite red nonetheless. And this is coming from someone who has spent considerable time all over the State. There are liberals there to be sure, but it's a quite rare happenstance to run into one as you traverse the different areas of the state.
Their governor was a DINO and has switched to the Republican party. They do have a Democrat senator, but not coincidentally he is the most conservative Democrat in the whole Senate.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
I would not call the south 'overwhelmingly' religious. Some people are religious, some people are not.

You seemed to miss my point. I don't understand why people use 'Deep South' or 'Southern' when talking about politics. Let's say the entire south becomes liberal....are you going to say the entire south is not Southern?

Also, historically, the south was owned by the Democratic party so associating 'Southern' with GOP is not historically accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.