U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM

4,949 posts, read 7,613,740 times

Advertisements

I've never even been to Wisconsin or the upper mid-west and yet I've heard and/or read about what a dynamic, beautiful and progressive (party, yeah!) city Madison is for decades.

Enough so I would very much like to visit if I was ever even close to it and it would seem I would find it a great place to live. So I would say at least to those of us who read up on things having to do with urban, educated, progressive and livable cities it has a very positive national image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,843,815 times
It's well known because it's the capitol and the University is there. Great town, great school.

I don't think it really has a "reputation". It's a pretty multicultural place.

I'd say it slants slightly liberal, but it's not hard to find people all over the political spectrum there, just like any other college town.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,470,231 times
Not in California that I've ever heard. I used to live there and when I've mention it, nobody seemed to know anything about it. Really, Wisconsin in general is a vague place to them, as is most of the Midwest, except Chicago.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 PM

153 posts, read 215,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not in California that I've ever heard. I used to live there and when I've mention it, nobody seemed to know anything about it. Really, Wisconsin in general is a vague place to them, as is most of the Midwest, except Chicago.
It's pretty much the same situation where I live. Some people that I have mentioned it to have never even heard of it, and some that had didn't know what state it was in or really anything about it. The general perception was that it was a small quiet town somewhere in the Midwest, but I can't say I can blame them. Wisconsin isn't exactly the most talked about state, and certainly not the most visited.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 PM

4,475 posts, read 7,303,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenHigh05 View Post
It's pretty much the same situation where I live. Some people that I have mentioned it to have never even heard of it, and some that had didn't know what state it was in or really anything about it. The general perception was that it was a small quiet town somewhere in the Midwest, but I can't say I can blame them. Wisconsin isn't exactly the most talked about state, and certainly not the most visited.
This is all opinion, but I'm not sure I would go that far. If one knows their capitals, they've heard of Madison. That may be about it though.

Wisconsin isn't really on the radar, but it is more so than places like Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska or the Dakotas. Or Delaware.

It is still a great place to visit and I bet if people knew more about it, they'd be more inclined to visit. Madison and Wisconsin as a whole.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
I know that Madison exists, but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 AM

6,889 posts, read 6,214,626 times
I think in my part of the country Madison is well known because of the Badgers. Madison is kind of considered the Austin of the midwest. Huge college town, state capitol, trendy. Just trade Brauts for BBQ and cheese curds for queso, and long cold winters for long hot summers.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,489,806 times
Which Madison? WI, SD, IN?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,815,654 times
I'm from the DC area, never heard of madison....

Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 38,523 times
I live across the lake in Lansing, I love Madison. It is Lansing without the auto plants, ghettos and crime!!! People in Michigan have their heads so far up Ann Arbor's and Deroit's butts they have missed one of the best cities in the country, in one of the best states in the country!!! They don't even know about the Wisconsin Dells!!!! So when people on the other side of Lake Michigan don't know about Mad-Town, I guess it does not have a national image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or