U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,489,906 times

Advertisements

bigotry and hatred

Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,226,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Immigrants from 3rd world countries who come here and disrespect the US because they associate themselves more with their homeland.
Elaborate

Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 9,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
My biggest problem with the U.S. tends to be the stranglehold that big business/corporations in the post-Industrial era have on the workers. In our culture, it is accepted that in order to "make it", you need to work X amount of hours. 55, 60, 70, 80 hours per week. In part, we haven't revolted against the commonly-accepted practices of overworking your force. In part, instead of wanting less or needing less, we all want more and more. The combination of the two have left families overworked with less time or ability to care for our offspring or to simply sit back and relax together.

In that same vein, Americans tend to also get the short end of the stick when it comes to work benefits, including but not limited to, maternity/paternity leave, sick days, PTO, and health insurance.

I don't know if we'll ever get over the type of consumerism/need-for-goods that would be necessary to take a stand, but I think it's the one thing that makes living abroad most attractive for me.

--

A really random, less political one: I think the U.S. undervalues and under uses it's central business districts. The town square is a nice idea for many, but it is simply just underutilized in our car/plaza shopping culture. It'd be nice if we could all interact more in a town square - music, readings, walking, boutique shops. The way life is here in many communities, we drive by ourselves to a parking lot, enter a store for our needs, depart, and return to the car that will return us to our homes. This has been something urban planners have been attempting to restore for some time, but the way our country evolved, it'll never not be a problem.
Great points about this country requiring so many hours to be able to make ends meet, with horrible benefits to boot. However, this is, unfortunately, a direct result of too many employees being pushovers and willing to practically be slaves to the employer. Then, unfortunately, the employee is supposed to THANK the employer for even allowing them to work at all for the company. There are FAR too many more followers (employees) than leaders (employers/self-employed) in this country, although the latter is quickly rising!

The second part of your post I agree with too and annoys me to no end! Living in the suburbs I see it all the time: strip mall is built on what once was perfectly fine farmland/open space, stores move in, fail, move out. A couple months later, open space not 3 miles away gets developed with another strip mall where more failing stores move in & out, and so forth. This is one area where I wish zoning laws were tightly regulated or more implemented. Also, it would be a great idea to have a town square-esque setup. Unfortunately, far too much of the country are only into themselves and don't know how to co-exist with other individuals in the same place and refuse to be social in a public arena.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,597,448 times
1. Woman or single people driving big massive cars.
2. How everyone drives farmers pick up trucks.
3. The fakeness in shops.
4. Poor rail system
5. The price is not the real price.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
The price is not the real price.
I have never been to any country where sellers are less interested in haggling or negotiating prices!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,037,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
1. Woman or single people driving big massive cars.
2. How everyone drives farmers pick up trucks.
3. The fakeness in shops.
4. Poor rail system
5. The price is not the real price.
Why are you mad about trucks?

Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 9,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That the word "taxes" is pretty much a swear word.

Look at all the nice stuff we have here, we could have even NICER stuff just by slightly raising taxes on certain areas.
I am sure tax increases would not be so frowned upon if the wages also went up. The only reason that the U.S. is tops in the wage earnings of first-world countries (and therefore the world) is because of the few usual hot-spots in the country: NY (NE in general), LA/Silicon Valley, Seattle, Texas. These 4, 5 areas pale in comparison to the rest of the country where earnings are, on average, abysmal at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
My biggest pet peeve with the US is how hyper-partisan politics has become. Instead of working together the two established political parties have conditioned their adherents to hate anything and everything the opposition party has done, and the party-line idiots sit there and shout pejoratives at each other without realizing the parties they're defending are really nothing more than two sides of the same slimy, self-serving coin. Neither Republicans nor Democrats give a crap about the average citizen. Both are beholden to special interests at the extremes.
I can't stand this countries obsession with politics as a lifestyle. It also proves the growing lack of intelligence in this country when all you see are party-bashing replies to otherwise intelligent conversations/opinions.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,597,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I have never been to any country where sellers are less interested in haggling or negotiating prices!
The tax.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,400,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I live in Europe babe... This is why I said that compared to Europe America feels closer to home!
Everyone in Europe is absolutely obsessed with Arabs, for starters. I think you're being disingenuous here, if you truly do live in Europe.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,226,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Everyone in Europe is absolutely obsessed with Arabs, for starters. I think you're being disingenuous here, if you truly do live in Europe.
I don't think people are obsessed with Arabs here, some people worry about the constant immigration of Arabs but overall people don't walk around Europe classifying people by races and skin colors nor you have government forms asking you to mark your race and those kind of things.

Race is truly a very American obsession... Like you wouldn't see news about interracial couples (asian women marrying white men) or stuff like that, like you'd see on American news media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.