U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,596,285 times

Advertisements

I agree. I noticed people not speaking English..

Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I don't think people are obsessed with Arabs here, some people worry about the constant immigration of Arabs but overall people don't walk around Europe classifying people by races and skin colors nor you have government forms asking you to mark your race and those kind of things.

Race is truly a very American obsession... Like you wouldn't see news about interracial couples (asian women marrying white men) or stuff like that, like you'd see on American news media.
You will never, ever see this in the US:

French ban on face covering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are bans like this across Europe: BBC News - The Islamic veil across Europe

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,120,902 times
I don't like about the United States

1. The con game colleges are pushing with student
loan debt.

2. The lack of culture outside the east coast. Everyone simply
lives to work and then spend some money making business
more richer.

3. How the police are above the law

4. Taxes that are through the roof in some places.

5. How poverty is swept under the rug here alot more
here than in other first world lands.

6. The games the financial system plays here that would
not be tolerated in other first world lands.

7. The women here have come a long way but at the same
time they have lost some of their womanly qualities compared
to women in other first world lands.

8. The low morale of a significant number of the population.

That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited by Europeanflava; 10-24-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 PM

12,696 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Elaborate
No need, I totally got it.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:00 PM

12,696 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

There are bans like this across Europe: BBC News - The Islamic veil across Europe

Sorry, but you're wrong.
Exactly.

And about race, maybe if Europeans living in France or Britain once had slaves in their own backyards like early Americans did, it would be more of a lasting issue there. Those countries never had slavery at home in that way, only in their colonies. You can't visit France and step onto a plantation like you can in South Carolina and see the former slave quarters and masters' beautiful southern mansion in contrast. New World slavery is called New World slavery for a reason - it wasn't seen in the old world. Race relations weren't set up the same way in the old world. Europeans living in Europe did not have slavery like we once did here. You think those racial issues brought by European colonists when they brought slaves here magically disappeared when slaves were freed, OP? You'd be wrong if you do. I'm not one to dwell on slavery, but I do find what I've said to be true. Maybe Europeans don't understand race in America because they can't - their history does not match ours in that sense. That's my opinion on America's so called obsession with race. And btw I don't find this to be an excuse for modern day racism and pulling the race card, but I do think it's an explanation as to why it happens. I think it's actually impossible for Europeans to understand, yet they exude an air of being better than us because race is less acknowledged outright, apparently. Please.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:05 PM

12 posts, read 15,680 times
Default things I hate about the US?

Nothing!!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,786,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLadyD View Post
Nothing!!!!
Really? You don't think there's anything we can improve as a culture? Really?

I'll add blindfolded patriotism to my list. Ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM

11,627 posts, read 4,923,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLadyD View Post
Nothing!!!!
Rose colored glasses much?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:28 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,225,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

Sorry, but you're wrong.
I can guarantee you I am not!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,225,423 times
My American roommate writes:

- We have gone from the land of the free to the land of big brother is watching!

- Police is scary and many are simple thugs

- Americans work too much, get too little time off

- Focus of life is not living life, but working and producing so you can buy stuff

- Outside big urban centers (like NYC, SF or Miami) there is very little culture, (it's all suburbias, shopping malls, fast-food chains, supermarket chains, gas stations and highways.)

- Education is unequal and a disaster, standardized testing is a business that has destroyed the American public education, powerful lobbies in DC push congressmen to support standardized testing, and these companies sell these tests to districts for hundredths of thousandths of dollars. As a result our education has been reduced to teachers teaching students how to pass these tests rather than teaching them survival skills, because once testing time comes thanks to the No child left behind law, students better pass those tests or the government will punish the school or the district!

- Health care should be a tax payer right, a working class person should be able to go to the doctor without having to get a loan

- Celebrity worshipping (kim kardashian, Miley cirus, J lo, Brangelina etc.)

- Being intellectual, or different is kinda of bad.

- Too racial and too religious (constant race and religion talk on the media, the average person cares a lot about race and religion and there is a constant emphasis on what makes us different, rather than emphasizing what makes us similar.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.